Will I EVER get a job???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by devzin98, Mar 15, 2007.

1. devzin98

devzin98 Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Sorry, but I just have to vent a little. I live in New Jersey, and switched careers so that I could become a teacher. I went to grad school and got a Master's Degree in Elementary Education (K-5) in March of '06. I got my state certification shortly thereafter.

Since that time, I have gone on 5 or 6 interviews for elementary positions. Needless to say, I STILL have not gotten a permanent teaching position. I was subbing in the beginning of this school year, and then took a position as a classroom aide...and that's where I am now.

I am really struggling to make ends meet on "aide pay", and I am really starting to worry that I will never find a teaching job!!! It has been nearly a year. I have been looking in all of northern/central New Jersey, but the job openings are VERY few and far between. I've worked so hard over the past few years, and I know I am ready to take the next step. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

HELP!!!!

Thanks for listening to my whining. :sorry:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2007

As you are already aware, there are no shortages in many areas, unless you are a math/science teacher.

I graduated in 94..... In 98 settled for a less than wonderful job teahing just so I could have a job. Took a 2 hour commute, and finally left at the end of the year.

That was 9 years ago. I've still been applying,etc, but it's tough. I am in a non teaching field for the last 6 years. I am not giving up, and neither should you.

Your day will come! Either that or consider relocating.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 15, 2007

Many of us have been looking for several years. I have been a LTS for a certain district for 5 years and they will not hire me. I haven't had any interviews either. I am hoping it is because of my ECE degree. By this time next year, I will also have dual cert in Sp. Ed. and El. Ed. so maybe then I will be more marketable.

5. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Hmmm, I live in PA, have 2 degrees and I will have a Masters in June. I also have been subbing since Sept...and have had no such luck! I could used some advice to. My argument is, if everyone else can find/ get a job, why cant I??? I feel for ya's too!!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2007

I think it's timing. Honestly, every person I know here, got there job unexpectedly. I am really suffering from the should of's and what if's. I feel like life is passing me by... I want to be settled.

7. tea

tea Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

You need to come to Texas, it's a shortage of teachers here.

8. mincc

mincc Companion

Mar 15, 2007

The teaching market in NJ is flooded. Beyond so. I feel for you, I really do. I have been to several job fairs and they truly show how bad it is here. :( If I hear one more person say there is a teaching shortage here, I will scream. I think the market is mostly saturated for elem. teachers, BUT it seems that other areas are really bad, too.
    My friend was just talking to a teacher whose school just got 600 resumes for one English position at their high school. :eek: This is not the first time I heard that, I met a principal once who got 1000 for one elem. job. I want to work in an urban area and even they are getting hundreds of apps for each elem. opening. One teacher I met who works in a large city said the last eled. posting received 400 resumes. She said it has gotten this bad in the past few years, but it has never been a shortage.

Another problem is the political nature of the hiring process. People can say this is an excuse, but I strongly believe that who you know here is a huge help in getting a teaching job. I can tell you of several people I know for sure got jobs because of who they know. I am not saying this happens all the time, but it happens a lot.

Also, I do not know if you have considered this, but if you are thinking about Special Ed., that is NOT as open as people may think.
    Elem. sped jobs are NOT abundant here. I am in South Jersey. I want to teach Sped and I have had a few interviews and each ad got a lot (almost hundred for two) of resumes. I think people went and got their sped certs. to get jobs and this area is now soaked, too.

Keep doing what you are doing. And know it is not you!

I know it hurts. If I could relocate, I would, but my husband finally got his career going and I don't want him to leave it.

9. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

I wish it would be that easy. My husband and I would have moved a year ago, but our daughter is adamant about staying at her school until she graduates. By then it will be too late for me to get a job.

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

I said the same thing the other day. I just want to be settled and not have to go through this process year after year after year. I also suffer from should of's and what if's and a lot of why's.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2007

But what is it you think about with the should haves and what if's? What are you second guessing about?

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2007

For me, it's more like should I have stayed another year in a horrible school. What if I never find a job in teaching? Should I go back to school for something else. Blah Blah Blah.

I am in my 30's. I know that is not old by any means, but I feel as if I no longer have the drive to continue this job search struggle much longer. I want to have kids soon. I would have liked to have found a job that I knew I was happy in by now. If I had known then what I know now I would have still been a teacher but in a different subject area.

Oh well. I've said enough.:sorry:

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 16, 2007

Don't give up. It's only been a year. I graduated in Dec 2001. I didn't land my first teaching position until August 2006. I sent out in two years about 200 applications. I interviewed for about 20 positions. I don't remember the exact number. I was offered a half time position in August 05. I kicked myself all last year for not taking it. I thought I couldn't afford to. The job I have now is 230 miles away from home.
    I figured I would spend a year maybe two up here and than go back home. I'm looking again at home. But if I don't find anything I'm ok with that. Anyway don't give up. Something will come along eventually.

14. teachyjak

teachyjak Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

I thought California was bad, it seems its bead everywhere. I feel as if its not what you know by who you know. I am trying to branch out from my first pic also and looking at pick three( distance) is the only reason it would be pick three. Good luck to us all.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2007

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. What's "pick 3"?

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 16, 2007

Third on the list of places to work.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2007

Wow, around here things are so different!!

There are 120 districts on Long Island, and competition for most jobs is fierce. No one around here that I know of actually ranks schools; you apply to 115 or so schools, and see who calls. There are only a handful I would NOT apply to; maybe another 20 or 30 are seriously too far to consider; all the rest are "pick 1." As are all the private and religious schools within a 45 minute drive.

Funny, isn't it, how our experiences can be so different? From you, Jamie and your one-room schoolhouse (OK, 2 rooms :) ) to me jumping from 180 7th graders one day to 168 Seniors the next.

18. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

Me too! I feel like I'm losing my steam as I enter my 3rd major "job hunting season" ---sorry to be a drag for new job seekers---but, I have momentary lapses of "settling" (gasp! never!) for the meaningless job I have (like millions of other people do every day) and just getting on with the rest of my life. I hear ya Frizzle!

However, for all the rejections I've had, for each and every application I send out, I totally envision me getting interviewed, offered and happily accepting a job offer! Guess I don't know when to quit.

19. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Mar 16, 2007

Ok, you are in the exact same position I was in ---got my masters, working on aide pay for quite a while. I had to make a difficult decision--getting a teaching job is tough, I decided to leave the classroom and go to an unrelated field while I continued my search. I did that because financially, I felt the stress of not being able to find a job AND not being able to pay bills was just becoming too much. However, by taking myself out of the school system, I'm concerned I have made it more difficult to get to "know the right people"--you know? Here is what I would suggest:

1. Stay optimistic. Sometimes it takes a couple of years.
    2. Assess your finances. Can you take on any other part time jobs to help yourself out? Tutoring? Extended Day Programs? Try to stay in the classroom as long as you can afford it doing something!
    3. If finances become too stressful, and you can get a job in an unrelated field that could take away the stress, do so. You can still continue to look. Next to medical stress, I find financial stress is very burdensome. It's great if you love what you're doing during the day, but it's no fun to come home and face bills you cannot meet. Been there, don't recommend it.

Good luck!