will endorsements transfer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lilginger, Dec 31, 2014.

1. lilginger

lilginger New Member

Dec 31, 2014

I am currently certified to teach in Florida. I have my ESOL endorsement and am working on my gifted endorsement. We are considering moving to TN, and I'm curious if these endorsements will be honored in other states, or if the requirements vary from state to state.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

Your best bet is to check the Tennessee DOE website and perhaps place a phone call. I thought my credentials would transfer from Pennsylvania to Ohio, but then found I needed to take an additional test that my home state didn't require.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 31, 2014

Short answer - sometimes yes, sometimes no. For some states, the educational requirements may be considerably different, or require tests you may not have taken. Sometimes it is more about how long you have taught the endorsement - some states may allow if you have taught it long enough even if your method of acquiring the endorsement is different than the new state. However, many states are sticklers for doing things "their way." Check out the requirements for teaching ESL in TN at the website for the DOE, as that will probably be your most definitive answer.

5. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Dec 31, 2014

If you find the answer to this question, please share. This is exactly the same question I've been researching this morning. :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 31, 2014

TN has recently changed their qualifications for ESL endorsement, but your experience my fall into their grandfathered clause. Lots of emphasis on clinical experience and practicum. I would second catnfiddle - a phone call is your best bet for an easy to understand answer. I'm sorry - I didn't check for gifted.