Will be teaching a multiage class next year

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by EMonkey, May 16, 2011.

1. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 16, 2011

I have learned I will be teaching a 1/2 class next year-for sure now! It will be my 12th year teaching; but first with a combination of grades.

I am hoping if you have any recommendations for moving to this you would pass them on.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

Look at ways to teach math and reading in small groups. The most important part is setting up your schedule at the beginning of the year to allow you time to work with the variety of needs that you will have.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 19, 2011

I already have been starting to train my class for a guided reading schedule. It has been going well so far (one week). I already had a set workshop so the only change is me working with the small groups on reading at the same time and not doing the whole class reading. I am worried about fitting the writing in though. I have not started on math small groups. Thank you for your suggestions.

How would you organize group math work?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

Well, there are different ways you can do this....

You can work with one small group while the other students are working on problem solving activities, math games to reinforce earlier concepts, fact practice, and skill reinforcement through practice problems. You can also set up lessons with guided reading sheets where students teach themselves.

I don't see why you can't use a writing workshop with one main mini lesson for both grades. Then use some time for conferencing or providing a shorter lesson that might be grade specific.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 20, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate them.

I started adding the writing back in today to make sure I had the time to do so (with my current class) and it worked out pretty well. I had them go to some workbook stuff when done-gave them half an hour to finish the work before being able to move to workshop and guided reading. It seemed to work as far as time which is what I was most concerned about. I used to do work with writing first and this year turned it around with the class I have to writing last. I agree the joint mini lesson would work well.

I think the kind of math workshop you are suggesting might work well. I could see setting up a variety of work that they could go to when done with the small group work with me. I would just need to think carefully about how to set up the other work in a way that would not require much overseeing. I also need to be careful not to make the set up work so over the top that I burn out on it quickly.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

With writing, I vary the class when I teach writing first vs reading first. This year, I have students who cannot read but can follow a script for writing, so reading is first. Last year my students were readers but struggled with writing, so writing was first. You could even vary by days.

With math, I set up much of it over the summer. I made skill games that I posted (I have about 20). Then the students practice each skill until mastery. After they master it, they move up to the next skill. If not, they practice it again.

With math games, you can easily print out or buy some for not too much money that can be set up or made before the school year begins.