Wikki Stix

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I've just recently discovered them. I have one or two ideas of what to have the kids do with them...but would like MANY more ideas.

Please...

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

What are they?

4. FriendshipTeach

FriendshipTeach Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

My students love using them as part of the art table. I've seen them make shapes with them, vehicles, people. You name it, they've made it. I also like using them for letter recognition. It helps the child for the letter as well as being tactile. Because we using Handwriting Without Tears, I also use them for Mat Man. They're a great tool to have around when you're in a pinch for an activity.

5. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I have no idea what they are but I looked them up on the internet at www.wikkistix.com and they look very neat. I might have to get some.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2006

Use to highlight words/letters on charts during morning meeting- have a kiddo come up and wikki stik circle sight words, etc.
    Lots of pictures of educational applications on site brandi mentioned.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 9, 2006

I think I might use some to spell new word wall words. I just remembered I had used pipe cleaners for that in ST in 1st grade, so wiki stix would be great, too.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

My kids love to use them with laminated shape cards. They form shapes out of them, pictures, letters, numbers, etc.

9. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

So THAT's what those are called! They have them in the worship bags at my church to keep kids busy during worship. My DS7 calls them "gooey strings"....:D

It's amazing what he can make with those things! LOL

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

We used them in work stations for having the kids imitate the shape... I drew a variety of shapes, letters, etc. on inddex cards and laminated, they were to "trace" the shape with the WIkki Sticks. :)

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 30, 2006

My friend just bought those for her classroom (after trying them out on her nieces and nephews- of course!) They ARE AWESOME! The kids love em! They would even be good for the kid to shut their eyes and feel it and try to identify the letter through touch. That could go along with a health/ the 5 senses unit. Also it is great to make letter shapes and simply be creative with- there are so many different things you could use them for!

12. lindalou

lindalou Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

So where do I store them? Are they ruined if they dry out?

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 30, 2006

I kept mine in a Ziplock baggie or just right in the package. I didn't have a problem with them drying out, they're REALLY reusable. :)