Wikipedia Goes "Dark" on Wednesday, Jan. 18

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 16, 2012

If you don't know what SOPA and PIPA are (or why you should care), watch this video. When Wikipedia goes dark for 24 hours on Wednesday in protest, it would be a terrific time to call your Congressmen and voice your opinion.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDX8Lyl16Qs[/yt]

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2012

Thanks for posting this video! I saw a little blurb on the home page for Craigs List about SOPA and PIPA and had no idea what they were talking about...now it make some sense.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 17, 2012

I'm glad that wikipedia is wielding its considerable... sway with most individuals for such a noble cause

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 17, 2012

FB was talking about doing it for a bit too. I'm not sure what they decided.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 17, 2012

I believe reddit is also going dark. Good.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 17, 2012

I'm surprised they're going through with this considering SOPA has been killed in the House and the White House doesn't sound like Obama would sign that or PIPA.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012

In regards to that, this is what the executive director had to say:

"The reality is that we don’t think SOPA is going away, and PIPA is still quite active. Moreover, SOPA and PIPA are just indicators of a much broader problem. All around the world, we're seeing the development of legislation intended to fight online piracy, and regulate the Internet in other ways, that hurt online freedoms. Our concern extends beyond SOPA and PIPA: they are just part of the problem. We want the Internet to remain free and open, everywhere, for everyone."

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 17, 2012

Exactly, Silverspoon. This particularly version of the bill might have gone away, but the spirit behind it is still alive and well. That's why Wikipedia and others want to call attention to the issue.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2012

Wikipedia, of course, has a LOT to lose if any sort of anti-piracy legislation should go through.

They can say it's about freedom. But I'm fairly certain that it's also about economics.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 17, 2012

True, Alice, but can we begrudge them for taking an interest in a political movement that affects them financially? I mean, hasn't that become the norm with capitalism?

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 18, 2012

Also, today one of the people in the House said that SOPA has been unshelved and will be discussed in early february. PIPA will be discussed next week

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2012

It's definitely about economics. The cost to some companies to police their sites the way these bills are asking would be astronomical.

As one blacked out site puts it, this bill is like dealing with a lion that has escaped from the zoo by torching a bunch of kittens.

In fact, this website could have a lot to lose if this bill passes. How often have people reposted copyrighted pictures from the internet on here, or had a licensed character as their avatar? Those kinds of things could get this site completely shut down for hosting them.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

Absolutely. And I realize that my heffalump is one of those copywrited images. (Though, in my defense, I did at least credit my souce:

"Well, it's officially AFTER Christmas.
    And I would like to introduce you to Lumpy, the Heffalump from Disney's Winnie the Pooh.
    I've become a real Heffalump fan in the past 3 years, and have started a Heffalump collection. I figured a Lumpy avatar was necessary
    "

And I'm not begrudging them anything.

Just presenting the other side of the issue.

And, to be honest, as someone who has received money for work I've written, I can understand that there's a reason behind the bills.

But I think that a lot of people, hopefully kids in particular, are pretty quick to jump on any bandwagon that includes a cry for freedom. Very often, there's a whole lot more to the issue, as is the case here.

I haven't read either bill in its entirety; all I know is the sound bites provided by Wikepedia and the blackout. So I'm in no position to form an intelligent opinion on whether the bills make sense or not.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 18, 2012

Oh, yeah, I wasn't meaning to imply that the economic reason was some how less important (maybe less noble...) It is what it is. We live in a society in which we generally have to make money! :)

There are sites, though, like The Oatmeal with authors who have had their material pirated frequently, who still do NOT support SOPA or PIPA, so I don't think it's only economic.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 18, 2012

If you go to Wikipedia (English) today and enter your zip code, it gives you links to contact YOUR legislators.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

Of course I understand that YOU didn't.

But I think that's the way Wikipedia is presenting it... as though this is all about "truth, justice, and the American Way." (taken, of course, from the old Superman show.) When the reality is that this blackout is largely about their own self-interest.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 18, 2012

Of course it is, but it DOES still have the potential to harm our "American way" if it passes, both on a social justice level and an economic one.

I think, too, it's important to understand that no one is saying, "Yeah! Let's pirate material!" It's just that the wording of these two pieces of legislation is poor and could (and many think WOULD) lead to significant censorship on the internet.

As is often the case with our legislators, they seem to get stuck in the "it's this way or no way" mind set! The blackout today on many sites is hopefully going to call attention to the issue and force the legislators (equally represented on both sides of the aisle, by the way, on this bill) to do some serious revising and editing.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

Again, I haven't read either bill in its entirety. I have no idea what or how much would need to be edited.

What specific changes are you suggesting?

I think that perhaps Wikipedia would be better served by printing the entire bills, perhaps suggesting the changes they would want implementing, and THEN encouraging people to contact their congressmen.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2012

This was my favorite this morning, especially because he does rail against piracy but is still against the bills.

I will also point out that this bill really is about economics on the OTHER side, too. Maybe more so.

21. SetterHugger85

SetterHugger85 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for the video! I have shared it!

22. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 18, 2012

Crediting your source wouldn't be enough--this isn't a research paper. How would you like to pay royalties for your avatar? That's what SOPA is about.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

I just Googled "sopa text", and the first link was this: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

THOMAS, which allows access to the texts of US Senate and House legislation via the Library of Congress, serves up two version of PIPA at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.968:

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

It's probably going to drive me mad, but I've turned off my Twitter feed and will stay off Facebook and YouTube for the day to support the boycott. Because I can't just rent a DVD and pop it in for my class, I rely on a lot of borrowed videos. Teachers get much more leniency with using copyrighted material for classroom purposes, but that won't help me when the well is dry.

25. teachyourkids

teachyourkids Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Yeah I tried to use it and SOPA and PIPA came up. I emailed my representatives telling them of my disapproval and I hope you all do too.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

Open Culture has a long video at http://www.openculture.com/2012/01/what-is-wrong-with-sopa.html of a conference at Stanford University's Center for Information and Society that explores SOPA and PIPA in terms of unintended consequences.

One of the controversial aspects of these bills is that intermediate providers such as Internet service providers (in my area, this could include Cox and Time-Warner) and search engines (Google) must stop providing access to Web domains that have been alleged to be committing or facilitating either criminal or civil copyright infringement. "Infringement" is rather loosely defined, and "Web domain" is defined rather broadly.

Another provision allows an individual intellectual-property owner to serve a "take-down" notice on a Web site that's alleged to have committed or facilitated copyright infringement; within five days, the Internet service provider or payment provider must stop the access or provide a counter-notice. Anyone can send the notice, without any involvement by a court - and this is available both against foreign rogue Web domains and any domestic domain.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

Current law allows copyright owners to demand successfully that a site remove links or material that is in violation of copyright. SOPA and PIPA allow the removal of entire sites and searches. At present, for example, teacher-test companies can and do demand that A to Z Forums remove references in posts to actual, specific test questions. Those are copyrighted. Dealing with the legal letters is frustrating and a bit terrifying for Amanda, and she was contemplating removing the Examinations for Teachers forum altogether, some years ago, until I volunteered to moderate it.

As I understand it, however, SOPA and PIPA between them would require that, if Amanda's Internet service provider or payment provider receives notice that a post contains an actual, specific test question from, say, MTEL - and it doesn't much matter from whom - that ISP or PP would be required to shut down the A to Z domain if Amanda didn't file a counter-notice within five days. I don't think Pearson would take advantage of this - but believe me when I tell you that sites like this one do now receive demands to remove material that is perfectly legal, and small-business Web site owners generally comply even though the material is perfectly legal because otherwise they'd be spending more time and money on legal defense than anything else.

28. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for shedding light on the whole SOPA and PIPA thing. While wikipedia has a financially driven cause in their blackout, I still think it's a great site and sites like it are vital for a global democracy. Major companies will use this bill to hurt smaller competitors even if they don't have any strong cases.

I think this point by TeacherGroupie highlights it well, if a company targets a small site with a law suit then that site is going to have to put up big bucks and a lot of time to fight it. While the company that filed the lawsuit in the first place might have a team of lawyers. The bosses at the top might not even know there's a lawsuit on but the little site will be running around, pulling hair out and going into debt just to set their case up. Not worth it! :eek:

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

In fact, Gareth, it's by no means only the big companies that get their way by threatening lawsuits - and SOPA/PIPA bid fair to open the door to anyone at all with a grudge shutting a whole domain down on the strength of a single questionable link.

30. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

Imagine never being able to share a link, watch a youtube video, etc. There would be no Facebook. Everything that has made us more connected would be gone.

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2012

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2012

33. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2012

My DH manages a website similar to this one (just a different focus) he said the same thing about PIPA and SOPA teachergroupie said. Since just anyone could accuse a site of copyright infringement, if most sites are like DHs, they would be shut down quickly for no valid reason. DH gets all sorts of miffed and loony people who do not want notification or consequences for breaking the site's rules. He has received threats of lawsuits for nutty reasons. The site is a nonprofit, the finances necessary to fight the lawsuit would just not be there.