WIKI

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mommyre, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I do not have a classroom website up through the school system, so I set up a Classroom Wiki... now can someone help me figure it out? OOPS I guess I should have figured it out first then set one up. TIA for any great suggestions you all have.:help:

3. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

What site did you set your wiki up through?

4. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I am not sure I know what you mean. I guess wikipedia

5. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

I didn't know you could set one up with them.

I use wikispaces. They have a nice handout on how to use the tools. But each wiki provider is different. If you post us your link we may be able to help better.

6. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

You will have to make your wiki public in order for us to view it. If I remember correctly, you go into your account to do that. I haven't used wikispaces in a couple years. I've been using pbwiki.com.

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I think I fixed it. Try again and let me know please. Thank you for your willingness to help!

9. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

Another question, I never realized that wikis were available at more than one place... what is the easiest one to use? For instance does anyone use wetpaint.com or is it usually wikispaces.com and pbwiki.com. I am so lost, sorry. I just think it is important to get the technology going. I thought I had a smart board, but don't. I will likely get one this year though. I just want to expose these kids to as much as I can. HELP! BTW thanks for those pitching in so far.

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I was able to get into your wiki now. I think that wikispaces is probably the easiest to start off with if you're getting your feet wet. Have you thought about how exactly you want to use wikis with your students?

11. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

I just discovered wet paint. It walks you through it step by step. Wikispaces has excellent support. I suspect each one has its advantages.

Go to this page on wikispaces for step by step instructions.

http://www.wikispaces.com/help+teachers

12. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I want to use it for classroom stuff. I do want them to be able to collaborate, but more than that to post things like projects, book reviews (in lieu of book reports, I hate those), questions, etc. Not sure where to start. I did see the help page, but am still a little lost as to what to do first!

13. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

So it's going to be like a classroom website with some pages to collaborate on? I guess you should start with deciding what pages you want to have on your wiki and create those. Then you can start setting them up with whatever information you want to have on them.

14. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Yeah, sort of, we do not have classroom websites through the school website as best I can tell, so I would like to have one for them. Does Wiki set up pages the same way then? I will see what I can do this week, maybe I can come up with something cool and show it off, then leave the rest to the kids design.

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

With a wiki, I would imagine you would have to link all your pages to the main "home page" which is the page you linked on the first page of this thread. Then you can set it up sorta like a webpage.

16. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

I set up different wikis for different subjects.

I have one for posting their favorite writings. I set up a page for each student.

I have one for Social Studies. That is the one where we collaborated with another class. Another class of mine did a trip to Africa.

I am setting one up this year for Book Talks with a page for each student.

I think it would be a bitconfusing to have everything on one wiki. But that is just my opinion.