Wiki

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

Do you wiki? I would like to learn more about how this can be used in the classroom, so I figured this would be the place to go. If you use wiki in your classroom, would you share how you do so?

Edit: Ok, so the wikis I am talking about are used as a technology resource in the classroom.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

Does it sound awful for me to ask what Wiki is?

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

No, I'm learning about it now.
    Apparently, it's a website that allows visitors to add and edit content - think wikipedia, classroom style.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

I thought you were talking about Wiki sticks, which are used a lot in lower grades and special ed.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

Oops, sorry RainStorm. I forgot about those! :)

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 12, 2008

My Moodle site for the school allows us to use Wiki--- I probably won't use it for the first year of teaching though... I'll be lucky if I can even keep up with my Moodle site. It's fun to do, but you have to be sure how to use it in your class :)

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

Be sure to point out that wiki are not infallible.

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

10. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I use a Wiki in my classroom. I have mine through wikispaces.com, which offers the spaces with an upgrade free to teachers. I keep it set to private, so only members (aka my students) can access the wiki, which has worked out well.

I use it as a place for students to turn in homework and projects, post rough drafts of work for peer comment, discuss whatever we have been reading in class, etc. My students last year loved it, and have asked me to leave "their" wiki up for them to stay in touch, since they are all going to different high schools.

I was originally concerned about setting a bunch of 8th graders loose with the ability to change pages at will, but they handled it very well, taking the initiative to create pages I hadn't even thought of, such as a page for them to post their creative writing to share. And, they kept it all school appropriate because they didn't want it taken away. ;-)

If you have specific questions, feel free to drop me a pm.

11. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Very clever video! That was a great demonstration of how to use wiki. So, in other words, group projects would be much easier to do (as far as communication is concerned) with Wiki. I always hated trying to communicate on projects with my peers using email and the 1-2 times a week we met for class. Gee, if only we had know about this... lol

12. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

We had to create a Wiki spot for our Master's program. A group of teachers were assigned to create a Wiki page, add their part of the assignment to it and present it to the class using our projector.

We can create Wiki spaces for a group of teachers using such topics as Regions, upload information that we use/have under different headings, change/add stuff throughout the year and access it when needed. It's sort of like an on-line file cabinet that you can get worksheets or even websites. You can invite people to join. Only those that join can make changes but others can just view the info.
    Our district has a Wiki space. Check it out-

http://seaman-pie.wikispaces.com/

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

Wish I could use it w/my kiddos, but we don't have access to computers for purposes like this. We have a lab but also have a Grinch who monitors the time used there for math and reading.

Your kids are lucky!!!

14. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it for reference later! :)

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

That's very true...if you are talking about things like Wikipedia. I plan to use a Wiki for student work such as creative writing. Students can go in an review / edit each writing by another student. I could also use it for group projects where they are working together. Sometimes the use of technology gets them more excited about what they are doing (especially in the case of reviewing and editing writing).

16. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I've used wiki's with my students. One way I used them was to assign groups of students to a planet and have them share their information for the final product (a brochure to convince people to move to their planet and a diarama) on the group's wikipage. I also assigned them to use a certain font color so that I could see who contributed what about the planet when they would post their information on their group's wikipage every few days. Then they were able to use any of the information posted, as well as edit the information if they felt that it wasn't correct. If this happened, they had to talk with the person that had posted it and come to a consensus. Another way I used them was during a problem-based learning unit. Each group was assigned a problem that they wanted to see eliminated by the time they were adults. Each group would record their information on their wiki and then use it to create their final product. I would actually go on each groups' wiki and post comments in orange font that ask for clarification if something didn't make sense, to add more details or ask questions to give them some other ideas on their topic. All of our wikis throughout the year were done through pbwiki.com.

18. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Calalilys, can pages be made private at pbwiki.com? Do you have to pay to use it?

Edit: Ok, so the tab at the top of the browser says it's free, so nevermind about that part! :)

19. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Yes, you can make the pages private at pbwiki.com.

20. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks!

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Please bear in mind that there are people out there (I know some of them) who intentionally change facts on Wikipedia just to mess with people. This includes altering formulae in a subtle manner to totally throw off the calculations.

22. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

Catnfiddle, I know some people like that. haha. If the class page is made private, I don't really think we'll be dealing with that though. Am I wrong?

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2008

We are going to have a blog instead of a Wikispace, but Hernandoreading mentioned it yesterday in a message and I definitely checked the Wiki website out. :)

24. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I never had a problem with people changing any information on my class wikis. I had a generic login and password so that my students were the only ones that could access the wikis and make changes to information. This year they're getting email addresses so I will invite them to the wikis so that they are the only ones given access to edit the wiki.

25. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

What grade do you think you can start using wiki?

26. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I'm not too familiar with the younger grades (K-2), but I do think you could use wikis with them. You just need to really think about HOW you're going to use it in a lesson and how you're going to get your students to use it effectively. For the little kids you might just end up logging them into the wiki yourself where they only have to type and you might end up using wikis towards the second semester when they are a little bit older and could handle it more.

27. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

That makes sense. Thanks Calalilys

28. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I started a wiki last year with my sixth graders and it was a huge success. I had a poetry page and a page were kids could talk back and forth about the books they were reading. I also had a page over whatever topic we were discussing in s.s. The kids would find websites that dealt with the topic and post. It was amazing the time they put into it from home and I don't think they ever thought of it as homework.

29. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Great ideas! Thanks! I started using Wiki just this past January, and set it up as a way to document all our class projects. Each page is a separate project that we were involved in.

For one project, we did Journey North's Mystery Classrooms and collaborated with our 7th Grade Social Studies class, using the Wiki for the 5th and 7th grade members to share information back and forth. We also have pen pals from Scotland, and used the discussion tab for the students to write to each other whenever they had a chance to do so. My students also used it to write back and forth to each other.

It all really worked out well, but I can see there are many more things we could be doing with it! This year, I would really like to use some of your ideas to involve the students in using the Wiki more for classroom assignment type projects...thanks so much for sharing! :)

Our Wiki at Wikispaces.com was private, also, and the students do not have to have email to participate. What you do is follow their directions to assign a user name and password to each student, send them the list, and they sign up the kids for you. Wiki's are great and are so easy to set up and use....I highly recommend them. :)

30. Miss K

Miss K Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I am like hernandoreading and use wikispaces, mainly because it's free. I don't necessarily use it like a wiki (in that students update or change pages), but I may do that this year. I mostly use it as a website and put certain assignments on it, and have also used it as a forum for the kids to post discussion questions. On wikispaces, there are so many different ways that teachers use it, so you can go there to view some if you'd like --I think they also give hints or tutorials based on the content. If you'd like to see mine I'll send you the link (teach English)--as it's not private. I have disclaimers and rules on it, but I may make it private as I begin to use it more.

31. ITeachSATX

ITeachSATX Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I started a wiki for my class - mostly as a website type use but I put a few general questions out there in case the parents use it. It is through "Wetpaint" and they remove all ads for education wikis. Most of the folks in my class don't have a home computer so it's probably a waste of time but it helped fulfill one of my pre-certification assignments too. The site is juliatorresiteach.wetpaint.com and if you scroll down you can actually see a summary of changes. This would help with participation grades and tracking who has changed what for some of ya'll.