Wide ruled? Double spaced? Cursive writing?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Becky123abc, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Do you all use wide ruled paper? I plan to instruct the students not to write on the outsides of the red lines. I'm thinking about teaching them to skip a line so their writing will be more spaced out.

What works for you?

Do you have them write in cursive?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

My students it varies I teach 8th I ask them if they write better in cursive write in cursive if they write better in print write in print. I just want to be able to read the papers. We do not have a preference in paper type. but, i tell them what ever paper they use make sure they stay in the lines. My school is low income and so they usually dont skip lines they use as much of the paper as possible. I think it is really your perference. :)

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

Becky I am from Wayne county mississippi. We may be neighbors. :)

5. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I'm in Clinton. It sure is nice to see another Mississippi Teacher!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

We use wide ruled paper. I have students skip lines in writing activities, so they have room to add, correct, etc.

Cursive is a struggle; as of last year, it is in my district's curriculum standards, so I have to require it occasionally. I do spend more time on it in the spring, when time is more available. On important work and standardized testing, I tell my students to choose what they are most comfortable with. I write in cursive, as do many adults, so it is important that they be able to read it.

7. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 1, 2008

On the cursive issue, I have seen teachers tell the students that they will take two grades on a paper (such as a spelling test), one for the paper and one for handwriting. This might be an easy way to take care of those standards.

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I have my kids do all their final writing copies in cursive - unless we are word-processing them. Otherwise they can choose and 95% of them choose print. Our 3rd grade teacher requires cursive for everything 2nd semester, so the kids get lots of practice. I just reinforce it occasionally so they don't lose it.

9. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Wide-ruled, skip lines only on writing the rough draft so easier to edit, not in cursive. Final draft don't skip lines and in cursive. As for other subjects, I usually do not require cursive but once in a while I will throw it in. In the beginning of the year I had them do some cursive practice sheets to get them going... To be honest, in this computer-age I don't think it is as important to be able to write in cursive but I think it is important for them to be able to READ cursive since they will still see it. It drives them crazy in the beginning of the year that I write in cursive but they get use to it! One boy used to decode my cursive by writing it in print above my words in our reading response letters!! :)

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

We use wide rule paper, skip lines on drafts, and handwriting may be print or cursive. Final copy is without skipped lines (and no skipped line between paragraphs) and handwriting may be print or cursive until we finish the formal handwriting lessons, after which all assignments that I will look at are done in cursive.

11. Sarah Sadie

Sarah Sadie New Member

Sep 24, 2009

Where do you get your materials?

I teach 8th grade, but only 1 student uses cursive. I would like to help them experience it so that they can make a choice. Should I begin them with 4th grade materials, or are there materials that are beginning penmanship at the 8th grade level?

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2009

I don't teach cursive unless a student really wants to learn. Instead, I try to focus on getting my students to write legibly in whatever method they choose. Cursive is not stressed in this district and I have found out that middle and high school don't require it.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2009

I started Jeannie on cursive in 1st grade- I think. I still have her write in cursive, plus I have her skip a line. Her cursive is flowery and kind of bigger, so a space in between is best.

14. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Sep 25, 2009

Wide-lined paper. My students skip lines on writing projects. So far students are working on Spelling in cursive eventually I will have them complete final drafts in cursive. Also Comm. Arts assignments will be in cursive.

Other subjects I will have the students choose whatever is neatest. I don't want the students to forget what they worked so hard on the last year and a half.

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

Wide rule - but only when they "graduate" to it, meaning their cursive (required here) isn't too big

Skip lines - always on drafts, otherwise only if they feel they need to so the letters don't get "tangled up"

Cursive - on everything except items w/ small lines to be filled in, crossword puzzles, and graphic organizers (cursive is taught in 2nd grade here)

16. Arbie

Arbie Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

:atoz_love:
    I teach 5th grade. We require everything to be written in cursive (unless they need it for an adaptation) I require them to skip a line when answering spelling or geography questions. I require them to skip two lines after writing their heading. We use wide ruled paper. No fluffies !! (torn from a spiral) No rippies (torn from the notebook)

17. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jan 2, 2010

Paper isn't important, although I usually ask them to skip lines so I can comment. Get them to write in cursive because it is faster than printing.

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

Here cursive is taught in K4. I teach 2nd grade, and I have them skip a line and use wide-ruled paper, writing everything in cursive. I much prefer cursive, it looks so much neater than their print!