WI teachers rally

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Rabbitt, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2011

Madison Schools were closed today because so many teachers were rallying. :love:

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 16, 2011

:thumb::thumb:

4. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 16, 2011

Good for them! :thumb:

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2011

...and again today. WOW!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2011

What are they rallying against?

7. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 17, 2011

YES YES YES! RACINE PUBLIC SCHOOLS WENT TOO! SO DID FOUR OTHER SCHOOLS!

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

A bill that would effectively end collective bargaining for most public employees in the state of Wisconsin...except the fire and police unions, and state patrol.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

Rally on Wisconsin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

It is curious to me as to why cops & fire are being exempted from this so called assault?

11. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

I'm not sure why, but I wonder if it's because they know it would never pass if they did include them. Teachers are an easy target because we have a bad reputation of having "cushy" jobs and working only 9 months out of the year :)rolleyes:).

I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I have a lot of Wisconsin connections on Facebook. It's so disheartening to read status updates about how teachers are so whiny and how the teachers are setting bad examples by not showing up for work. I think they are setting good examples to students by showing them that they should always fight for what they believe in.

12. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

Ohio's doing the same thing right now. :(

13. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

Well, they say it's because they are "essential" public employees. But, it's very interesting that those are the unions that supported Walker in the election...

ETA: Those unions have been joining in the protests at the Capitol in support of the targeted unions.

Another interesting side note, the WI Speaker of the Assembly and the WI Senate Majority Leader are brothers and their father was just named Superintendent of the State Patrol.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 17, 2011

So is Indiana - trying to take away collective bargining, reducing the requirements to become a teacher, giving principals the authority to renew licenses, giving our state super the ability to revoke licenses without due process, allowing more charter schools with a requirement that NO more than 51% of the staff have teaching licenses, and too many more to list . . . .

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 17, 2011

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have so chosen the wrong field. This is terrifying. I'm in Alabama and you know things are always worse here once AL decides to copy other states, they do it way harsher. I have no clue what the future holds for me and my family. Only God can get me through this...

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 17, 2011

In all my years of teaching, I have NEVER taken a professional day to lobby, ever. Before, I never felt I could justify in my head, leaving my classes with a sub to lobby and I have been a building rep, and served on my local union board. For the first time in my teaching career, I am leaving my classes for one day to go and lobby. I am truly scared. My state congress seems to be trying to ruin my profession that I LOVE so dearly.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2011

Long Island had a big rally tonight, after school hours though...they had a huge turnout.

I didn't realize how many states are going through this, it is scary.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 18, 2011

Indiana had a huge rally AFTER SCHOOL HOURS - 5pm. The newspapers, our congressmen/women villified us in the newspapers for the rally and leaving our classrooms questioning our dedication to our students. They all knew the rally started at 5pm!!! It was all over the news, every major paper and the comments from the public was of course bad since they believed what the papers reported. Our union had to take out an ad to set the record straight. This is when I knew I had to do something.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 18, 2011

Yea Wisconsin! I briefly caught what was going on up there in the news. Very disheartening!!!

*putting Indiana on the list to not teach in....* lol that's insane.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 18, 2011

I went to a local rally on Wednesday, and it brought tears to my eyes. Everyone was very emotional. I really wish I could to go Madison tomorrow, but I work at my 2nd job all day. :(

22. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Feb 18, 2011

THE RACE TO THE BOTTOM! instead of fighting for better benefits for all, people want to strip them away from everybody else.

It's amazing how no matter what, teachers always get attacked! enough is enough! And no surprise they excluded the police etc from this bill. looks like the governor got a bit too scared, or didn't want to offend one of his buddies at the top.

I am not a democrat, in fact I'm a closer to a republican (even though I do view myself as an independent), but these "capitalist" republicans are getting annoying! it's always about the private sector and what they have, but the private sector is ripping off the american people! forget about moral capitalism, it's all been about a free for all for the top. and on the flipside, it is time for Democrats to learn some fiscal responsibility and stop wasting money all the time!

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2011

Good!

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2011

They supported him in the election. Many say they cut a deal. However...they are there and rallying as well.

Why are they exempt...
    IMO it's a combo of the above and because those professions are mainly male and thus still considered the main source of income for families. Teachers are mainly female and considered second sources of income.

Although I find it dicriminating to exempt some, I do not want them included in this fix it bill.

25. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2011

Gov Walker's fix it bill adds public employees paying part of health ins and pensions. that will hurt but it's not the main reason for the rally.

They are rallying because he's trying to talk away union rights to bargain.

Pay raises would be cost of living but capped at 1.5% and pay reduced if cost of living goes down.

no steps or lane changes on a salary scale...so no credit for education

no seniority

can fire you at any time for no reason

cannot take union dues

work day does not include prep time

There's more but I think you get the idea!

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

This is nonsense. If this passes and other states adopt this same bill, or thinking, I encourage anyone who is thinking about going into education to not go into it. Let them double think the importance of teachers when they don't have any. Disgusting. As much as I get annoyed with my low pay at my current school, I would much rather put up with it than go back to the states where I am not respected. Teachers are very respected here. And, when something happens, it's not the teachers fault. Students are held responsible. I am very, very sorry for all of you who are having to deal with this. It's horrible.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

My state, Indiana, is voting on bills very similar to these right now. Our gov'r seems determined to privatize education. He wants to lower requirements to enter the teaching profession but make difficult for those traditionally licensed teachers to keep and maintain licenses. His charter school bill would only allow 51% of the teachers on staff at charter schools to be licensed teachers!! As you said Rabbit, I could go on and on

And this is why TamiJ for the first time in my teaching career, I am taking a PD to go and lobby my elected officials. I am very scared about the direction my state government is taking education. I hate the way my state government is villifing my profession that I love so very dearly. And I am scared for the children of the state of Indiana if all these bills pass.

28. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2011

I went Saturday. I was happy to see the peacefulness.

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2011

Do teachers that lie about being sick.......... that is call in "sick" (when they are not) ..... then go to protest rallies get paid for that day? Just curious...... :confused::confused:

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 22, 2011

Many teachers receive PTO days without a reason instead of sick days. One district nearby has 10 of them. So, they technically aren't calling in sick.

However, many teachers have been calling in sick when they aren't. This has really backfired IMO. So many people are now supporting Walker because they're ticked that districts are closing, due to too many teachers calling in.

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2011

I think it's justified. This whole thing makes ME sick.

Also I think so many call out that they have to close school - so it is probably like a snow day they would have to make up. So they aren't getting paid for a day to rally.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

Silver, I was going to say the same thing. I would be sick. I'm a little disappointed an educator would find fault with this all things considered.

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2011

I don't know what PTO days means.... but if a teacher calls in "sick" and isn't really "sick" ..... well that's another matter ...... especially if the "sick.... (but not really "sick") .......... teacher ends up protesting. If the school doesn't shut down the school has to pay for a substitute teacher to replace the "not really sick" teacher. If enough teachers call in sick........ when they are really not....... then the school shuts down and the kids miss a day or two or three of school....

Hey guys these are just my thoughts as a part time teacher and a big time tax payer...:(

34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

I'll play devil's advocate here...what would you suggest that teachers do in order to try to make a difference?

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

Many schools have been closed in our area because there are not enough teachers going to work. It's a mess for everyone, including the kids who are sitting at home. My husband works for the =school district here.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

PTO = Paid Time Off

Many employers provide a certain number of days or hours of PTO. It's used for sickness, vacations, whatever.

37. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2011

Maybe start with the realization that the Wisconsin kitty (and a lot of other states) is not only broke, but is filled with IOU's from decades of bad decisions .... Major concessions will have to be made by lots of folks... We can't continue to spend money that doesn't exist....

Calling in "sick" when you are not really sick just goes against my personal values........ Yes, I know this sounds crazy and old fashioned and a lot of other things...... but that's me.

:hugs: to you swansong1........ :)

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

It's not only money on the line here, Major. Some of the ideas are just outright crazy, in my opinion.

I've called in sick when I was sick to my stomach at the thought of walking into the building and dealing with the crap I sometimes have to deal with. I felt exactly this much guilt:

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2011

No subs were called in to our schools because there wouldn't be enough subs to cover that many teachers. Schools shut down for several days and the kids missed out.

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2011

NJ teachers and other public employees will rally in our capital in Trenton on Friday.

41. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 22, 2011

Has WI seen layoffs? I'm curious as to the steps the teachers in that state have had to endure before this bombshell from TPTB? (Bear in mind that I'm from CA, which has seen huge layoffs to this point... with more potentially to come.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.