WHY?!?!?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Mar 8, 2007.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 8, 2007

OK... the last day a particular child attends for the week, we ask them to take the sheet off their cot after naptime. They for some reason LOVE this job, and it saves us a step when putting them away (we wash them Monday mornings). Typically, they're asked to "go put your stuff away and go potty" or "take off your sheet, put your stuff away, and go potty." Don't really care in what ORDER they do them... if you gotta go, you gotta go.

So today... M. was asked to take his sheet off, put his blanket away, and go potty. I was in a different area of the room getting another cot and putting it away. I turn around to see his pants down around his ankles, his cot and sheet and blanket are SOAKED, and he's still holding himself like he was aiming. He's 3, almost 4, and VERY rarely has accidents. WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean, it's intentional enough that he got his pants down first, I guess that's something...

Of course the kids are all trying to figure out what happened... I was able to get THEM all redirected as we got hisp antsp ulled back up (stupi belt!), put his blanket in a bag to take home, he took his sheet off and put it away, and I cleaned the floor and sprayed his cot off and took it outside to dry.

Later I asked him if he just couldn't hold it, and he said "yes." I said, "hey, next time, just go potty first if you have to go that bad."

Of course several other teachers popped their heads in for various reasons right about that time. None of us could believe it. This is not something that happens every day. ;)

3. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

Sometimes it can be something going on at home .It could be something simple .Like Mom/Dad worked late mom/dad went in late. We have a few that if mom works different times the child can be off.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 9, 2007

And sometimes they just want to test you.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2007

I asked my cousin is it the Terrible 2s & the Trying/Testing 3's??? She had a boy that went through these fun stages!!!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

Lol... I had told him "go ahead," and nodded towards the bathroom when he said "I gotta go potty." I jsut didn't figure he'd take me so literally. ;)

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2007

Boys are facinated by projectile peeing and seeing where they can go. My middle child once went in the middle of the sidewalk at Home depot while I was talking to the sales man!!! :eek: He never even said a word about needing to go.

My father tells a story about my brother peeing on the painted picture of santa claus on a store glass door!

Both of these incidents are about the age you are talking about.

My youngest (who is currently 3) once in a while will decide to pee in the middle of the carpeted floor for no reason but to experiment.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2007

Weird. Yesterday one of the kids from the other room got up and peed right in the middle of the carpet! He is almost 4. There was no reason. He looked normal as ever when we asked him about it, like nothing had happened! Today we were talking about how little kids will 'hold" themselves on the front of their pants when they have to go potty. Have you ever thought why they do that? Well, how many times have we all told a child to "hold It!" They have no idea what that means, other than to actually HOLD IT!

9. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

I had a little boy do that in one of my classes. He was 4-had never dont it before. We had a similar thing, put your stuff away and go potty. When I asked him later (after he was cleaned up) what happened, he said he didn't know. He still looked tired (had taken a shorter nap than usual) and he said he just got confused. Maybe your child was still sleepy, too, and just did all the directions at once!

Mrs. B.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 12, 2007

My brother's bedroom was across from the bathroom and my parents' bedroom was beside the bathroom. He used to get up, open my parents' door and pee in the corner, close their door and go back to bed.

11. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 12, 2007

I had one pee in the sink in the bathroom last week...that was fun to clean up!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 12, 2007

I went shopping with my restless 3 year old and I couldn't get anything accomplished because in 3.5 hours he decided he HAD to go pee NOW 8 times! That included washing his hands and asking AGAIN if I had quarters (I didn't) for the gum machine.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2007

I love little kids! Our grandson is potty training so I bought him Diego underwear and he will only wear them backwards because the big picture is on the butt side!

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 12, 2007

Grammy, that's one of my guys. He's OBSESSED with Cars. and will only wear them where he can see the picture.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 12, 2007

Probably. He's one of those kids who will play around for the first hour+ of naptime instead of sleeping, then just CRASH at the end... which of course means he's not always awake when we wake him up. He did look pretty confused!!!

16. Mally

Mally Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

We had a little guy who started pulling his pants down and peeing in the playground or when we were on a walk! We talked to his parents and it turned out that he'd been for a walk in the woods with his grandfather when nature called and his grandfather told him to pee in the woods. He'd been fascinated with this new found ability to pee outside at any time he felt like it since!

17. preschool4me

preschool4me Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Do any of you have kids who refuse to poop at school? I have three all age 4. They complain of tummy aches but will hold it til they get home. I've told them I will help wipe if they need it but they still refuse. I've tried everything but as you know 4 year olds are STUBBORN! Any ideas?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 18, 2007

I had a friend whose child wouldn't use a public restroom period! He outgrew it, but I don't know how. No advice here. Sorry.