Why would a position have a late start date?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ladybug3, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ladybug3

ladybug3 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I have applied for several positions in one district recently. Last Thursday a principal called me about a mild/moderate classroom position and wanted me to come in ASAP to meet with her on Friday. Turns out, she had to cancel because of family emergency, which she had cautioned me could happen. We agreed to meet Tuesday morning.

I looked at the job posting again.."mild/mod beginning in September" . School starts August 9th. This is a 4th/5th grade school. any ideas why a position would begin a month later that school starting?It doesn't say LTS and some postings do.

I know she will tell me more Tuesday, but curiosity is killing the cat!:blush:

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

What is LTS?

Here in Canada we get a year off for maternity so a late start like that would normally mean maternity leave. But I don't think you guys do whole years for maternity leave in the States.

Perhpas the person knows they are having some medical procedure and are planning to take the rest of the year off?

The other thing that happens here is that you need a certain amount of time for retirement so sometimes people will go back for a short period of time at the beginning of the year to "top out their retirement plan". Again... not sure if that is a Canadian thing though.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 18, 2010

Might be waiting on anticipated numbers....

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

Is it an aide position? Maybe they aren't expecting a certain student until then?

If not an aide, it could be that the current class is bordering on being too big, and isn't meeting size requirements. They may do the interviewing now, and when they are over the limit, they are going to hire someone. I know we don't check our numbers officially until a month into school.

6. ladybug3

ladybug3 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

LTS= long term sub

I have been wondering about the idea of waiting for the numbers or a teacher retiring. I think I would feel strange going into a position where the teacher was there 3-4 weeks and left and then I step in. Those first days of school seem like they would be even more important in a special education classroom.

I have applied to every position possible in three districts and this one I have the most questions about. Is it self-contained? Inclusion? Resource? Subbing? I should be concerning myself with getting ready for an interview instead of nosing around in the questions that will be answered when I get there:rolleyes:

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

Well, those questions are important so that you know how to prepare yourself for the interview a little better! Keep on nosing around!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

I think those are important questions to help you prep for the interview and decide if you want the job. If you don't start with the rest of the staff my guess is it could be LTS, Title 1, or 100 day tutor. This also could mean no benefits.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Could be a late start due to beginning of year assessments, scheduling... Our pull-out services don't start right away for just those reasons...

Good luck on your interview!!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

I agree with czacza, as usual :) It could be someone going out on a medical leave or some type of leave or a crazy early retirement (we have 3 people leaving mid-year this year). Or it could be that they are having high enrollment and anticipate needing another teacher but won't know for sure or won't have a grant or money neccesary to pay it until later.

Good luck!!

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

Maybe it has something to do with the fiscal year. I know Title I money doesn't come until October so maybe they are waiting on some kind of funding source.

12. ladybug3

ladybug3 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

Answer to Why the position has a late start!

Because..the teacher is retiring and is using up her vacation days until Mid Sept. She will be in and out until then. The person hired will go to orientation and be at the school training. It was a resource/inclusion position for 4th/5th.

The interview went very well and the princ said I was in the top two. She felt she would have an answer in about a week. I told her I was driving to a second interview for another position and she said to call her before I make a decision. Doesn't that sound good? I hope!

So...question answered;)

Oh..second interview was for Kinder 1/2 year sub. Loved the school and admin but hoping for fulltime.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

Wow - sounds great :) fingers crossed!!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

Sounds hopeful!!

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Glad it went well! Hopefully you hear good news soon!