Why Teachers Hate Parents

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by AMK, Feb 20, 2005.

1. pattyanne

pattyanne Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

I would be very wary of any preschool that demanded these skills in this way or in this time frame. :( Without having any knowledge of the specific situation, it sounds to me like an untrained teacher. Anyone who has studied early childhood would find these expectations unreasonable.

In most cases it is parents demanding skills from children and agitating for faster development - the reverse is true here. Parents can be forgiven for not understanding that rushing skills is not wise - they want what is best for their child and often think that fast skill development will enable the child to progress further and faster. In fact, the opposite is usually true. Children who are "pushed" experience failure and become resistant to efforts to encourage them to learn new skills. They may develop lower self esteem if they frequently cannot achieve the skills set for them. In time this becomes a negative attitude to learning and to school.

All early childhood trained teachers understand this. If I were your friend, I'd make some searching enquiries into this preschool. Why are they setting such tasks for the children? Are the teachers fully trained? Who sets the "curriculum" and what is the philosophy behind it? If she is unhappy with any of the information received, I advise withdrawing the child and enrolling him elsewhere.

If preschool places are hard to find, this may sound like a drastic measure. But it is better than letting poor teaching set up a negative attitude to schooling so early in the child's life.

Best of luck!

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2005

Both ends of the spectrum:

School ended the other day- Several parents came in for the last hour, helped the kids pack up their desks, store supplies, talked with me about what a great year it had been...thanks for making a difference for their child, etc. Tears as I let the kids and parents go...(Plus a very generous class gift and really nice individual gifts too!)

1 hour after school ended as I'm doing permanent records, packing up my stuff in 90 degree heat a parent calls about whether I think her child will be in the enrichment/gifted program next year (he won't), did I think he was challenged enough this year (he was) and how did I think he did overall (in answer I asked if she had bothered to look at his report card, he had done really well, etc to which she responded- yes but I wanted to know what YOU thought not just what was on the report card - like who does she think filled out the report card??) I finally get through to her that her child had a great year, he's definitely ready for next year's challenges (3rd grade- plenty going on!!), that some of these questions would have been better dealt with at our spring conference (which they were) and that I wished them a happy summer but I had to get back to my administrative/end of school year tasks to which she went on for about another 5 minutes before I finally got off the phone (and this was a parent who likes me!!) UGH!! This was on top of another parent who called the day before with tons of questions as well- both kids are doing great, have had a great year, but the parents have pretty much been uninvolved and just thought my last 24 hours of being their chidlren's teacher should be filled accomodating every parent question/need/concern that they just got around to thinking of!!!

I'm glad it's summer!! :cool:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 26, 2005

LOL - On the Monday of the last week of school a parent asked me what her daughter could do to bring up her grades for that marking period. Wow, you just got out, that seems late to me .... hope you can really relax now.

4. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 27, 2005

As a parent and future teacher, I like this idea! I have three sons and they are in three different schools..when they were smaller I would have loved reminders like this :)

On the newsletters -- sometimes they just don't bring them home - of course I'm talking about the older students now, when my boys were in elementary (my youngest still is) I checked their backpacks each day, but now I have one middle schooler and one high schooler and I have to ask daily "are there any letters/notes from school?" and more often than not the response I get is "Yeah, oh no I left it in my locker."

The article was a good read, and reminds me of lots of parents I've seen in the hallways of my sons' schools. I'm glad to say I don't recognize any of my own behaviours thank goodness!

I can't get over parents not letting children suffer consequences of cheating, doing poorly, sleeping in etc...how will they learn to be productive adults if they don't have natural consequences as children???

5. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 27, 2005

I agree wholeheartedly!! My oldest is starting highschool this year. He's a fairly bright kid who does well in school, but he procrastinates and leaves things to the last minute. I've been saying forever that as he gets older, there will be no warning, no second chances, if you don't do your work on time or you do substandard work, you get bad grades or failing grades! It helps that I'm going through university right now myself so they can see me working on assignments and projects in advance of the due date.

As I said, nothing beats natural consequences for learning!

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 29, 2005

Lowrie, you rock!

7. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 29, 2005

aww thanks :) made me grin SO big! :D