Why teach cursive writing anymore?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by sundrop, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

The principal asked if anyone teaches cursive writing at our school. The third grade teacher does, but after they are done learning it she said most of the 3rd graders go right back to printing. The principal asked if anyone else ever requires students to use cursive on an assignment. No one does. The principal then asked why bother teaching cursive if no one is ever going to have students use it. What do you think? Does she have a point? or do you think we should teach cursive? Give me some reasons why if you have some. I think we should teach cursive, but don't have any real reasons for defending my decision. Help me out!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 28, 2010

I only ever write in cursive. I think kids should be able to read and write their names at least.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

If you do a search on this topic, you'll come up with a couple of different threads on it. In the last thread I remember, there was enough said that convinced me that teaching cursive was still a good thing. I'll see if I can dig up one of the older threads.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

If no one ever teaches it, then it becomes a lost art. Do we want to lose it? Here in MX, the kids learn it in 2nd grade (at least in our school) in their Spanish classes and are expected to use it in Spanish classes (I'm not sure about the other classes, but I think I'll find out now). In my opinion, it should be taught.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 28, 2010

Alright, this is off the top of my head and with no proof whatsoever, just my own random thoughts....

Yes, we should teach cursive because when a person comes across something else written in cursive that child should be able to read it. Because I think I've read that some children who have a hard time forming letters in print actually do better with cursive. Because when you're forced to handwrite something that's on the longer side you'll appreciate the fact that cursive is quicker to write than printing. Because you shouldn't sign your name in print and how on earth would you know how to sign it in cursive if you never learned how to write in cursive.

Well that's what I got. My son learned cursive last year and I'm curious to see how my daughter who has rather sloppy illegible print will do with it.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

I'm going to have to read through the thread you posted, mmswm. Thanks for the info everyone.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Sundrop, just do a search with the keyword "cursive". There's quite a few threads. That one had a pretty good discussion though.

10. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Apr 28, 2010

In one form or another, I would like high school students that write by hand legibly enough to read. That requires practice which I know their elementary and middle school teachers don't have a lot of time for.

I still believe it is something worthwhile. At least for the time being.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

I still teach my second graders cursive, whether or not they use it the rest of their lives is to be seen, but they can at least read it.

12. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

With everything else that we need to teach, cursive is low on my priority list. My kids have a practice sheet in the morning, but that's about it. I can't remember the last time I read something that was written in cursive.

13. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

People who really learn cursive (I confess I'm not one of them) can write much more quickly and legibly than people can print. Done right, it's also beautiful.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2010

The overwhelming majority of my notes on the board are in cursive. It's much faster than print.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

I teach cursive to my kids in third grade. We get through our cursive book before first semester is over. Now they do all of their writing and reading tests in cursive. I know they don't use it a lot after third grade here, so I make sure they do it enough that they won't forget how to do it!

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 28, 2010

All 3rd graders in my district learn cursive. In an effort to pre-teach cursive handwriting, I teach them the alphabet, their first and last names, and other fundamentals (depending on time) when they're in 2nd grade. The third grade teachers usually thank me because they don't have to start from scratch at the beginning of the school year because my kids pretty much know how to write AND READ basic cursive.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

Yikes, I can not imagine not using cursive. It is so much faster to write.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 28, 2010

Any notes I write in paper are on cursive. It's so much more personal!

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

My cursive skills peaked about about the 4th grade....... and I survived..........:p:p:p

20. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

My 3rd grader daughter's teacher expects everything in cursive, from day 1 of 3rd grade.

I love it! My daughter's cursive is much nicer than her print was and I am so glad she mastered this almost lost skill.

Her teacher sent home a bit of research that claimed that only 5 in every 100 students who take the SAT write their essays in cursive and there was a direct link between higher scores with regards to the cursive writers.

I'm not sure if that's true (haven't researched it myself) but she uses it to back up her insistence that the kids learn it, master it, and use it.

21. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 29, 2010

It's an art, and in the long run, a person can write faster. Print is slow. It is imperative that a child has the skills he needs to survive in high school and college to take notes or to just keep up with his brain.

22. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

I get so many compliments on my cursive. I seriously took my elementary teachers' words to heart when they said that you MUST know cursive for high school and life...haha. No one seems to use it anymore. The downside to my great penmanship is in groups I was always the scribe because of my cursive. HA.

Writing in print is such a pain for me. I took a drafting class in high school...the first week was printing "perfect" letters. It was so difficult for me!

I can see the arguments against cursive but I pro-cursive myself...it is more efficient for me.

23. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

I only use cursive to sign my name.

24. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

I always preferred cursive. It's prettier.

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 29, 2010

Typing is faster than printing OR cursive... just saying.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

True... but that presumes that you have access to a keyboard.

27. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

They will need to read cursive, regardless of whether or not they ever have an assignment that requires them to write in cursive.

In addition, knowing cursive is a huge benefit when you are taking a lecture class at a university (even more so if you don't know shorthand, which most people don't)

An interesting thing to do might be to have all of the teachers mark down every time they come across something that requires them to read cursive in a month - every little note, phone message, postcard sent to them etc. Then compare and see if anyone would have been able to make it through the month without knowing how to read cursive

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

When I coached debate, we MADE our kids take notes in cursive. Debators speak quickly, and they were able to flow a debate much better that way.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2010

I have a student with EXTREMELY sloppy printing--all his letters just look wobbly and strained and can be virtually unreadable. We made the switch over to cursive a few weeks ago, and his is absolutely beautiful! For him, I think the flowing nature of cursive is easier to work with. Many things at school will be so much easier for him now--can you imagine if he had never been taught cursive?

30. Grapeless

Grapeless Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

Teach it - if nothing else, they will need to know how to read it.

I use both - sometimes even changing mid-sentence when the writing is just for me. Its not an intentional switch either so I can't say why I prefer printing at one time and cursive at another

31. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 29, 2010

I think it is important to teach it but I don't think everything should be required in cursive. I let my students choose for their notes and some of their homework. There are students who have horrible cursive and it is not getting better. Why make them (and me) go through the pain of writing it? As long as they can somewhat write it and definitely read it, it is fine for me.

32. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 29, 2010

my writing is a combination of print and cursive. It is fastest for me. But I love the look of cursive, especially when writing a nice thank you note, or letter.

I have horrible printing, even after taking the handwriting course required for teaching majors at my school. (it is improved, however)

33. ms.

ms. Comrade

Apr 29, 2010

Around 75% of the hand written instructions/notes I receive from people are in cursive. It's important for students (in their future jobs) to be able to read what their supervisor or boss writes to them. I was shocked that none of my 8th grade students could read cursive - this was in a district that threw out cursive. I can write in print neatly, but much more slowly. My cursive is extremely neat and fast. I use cursive almost all of the time. Cursive is flows easier and is much more natural than print. I think that it helped that I learned cursive when I was 5 (almost 6.)

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2010

I'm with your HMM..... I sign checks, documents, etc in cursive..... (then print under that ...... so people will know what I wrote.......:p)

35. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

When I was in 7th grade a new boy moved to our district. He raised his hand in social studies when the teacher was writing notes to tell her he couldn't read cursive. She switched to print for the day - and he was taken back to 6th grade the very next day as a direct result of not knowing cursive.

36. monsieurteacher

Apr 29, 2010

That is absolutely wrong.

37. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

He couldn't participate in 7th grade without knowing cursive. And he'd need to be taken out of the high school to get the one-on-one to learn it

38. monsieurteacher

Apr 29, 2010

That doesn't change my mind. Cursive writing should NOT be a reason to hold someone back (or in this case, move someone back).

39. ms.

ms. Comrade

Apr 29, 2010

I wouldn't hold a student back for the failure of someone to teach him or her script. It's not the student's fault; I didn't use script in that 8th grade class - it wasn't the fault of the students that they didn't know something that they had not been taught.

The district I'm in now doesn't devote much time to script. However they do make sure the students understand the basics of script and can read cursive writing.

40. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

I got a book recently that had tactile graphics of print and cursive letters. I honestly don't know people write in cursive. The letters just seem so complex.

I might be a little biased but I can definitely see why someone would prefer typing over writing.

41. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 30, 2010

All of you:
    TEACH IT!! Why are we letting skills get lost??? Not everything that is important is technology. There is art to appreciate, language to be enthralled with. You never know what the child might become if you don't teach them everything possible. Understanding different forms of letters helps with foreigh languages and allows the brain to make connections. It is good for learning about patterns and will help them in the long run. For whoever said they didn't get cursive past the 4th grade and they're fine...sorry, that's ignorance. A great book-Hand-writing without tears, is excellent. Takes 5 minutes a day. Send it for homework. Use it as an award incentive or for kids who finish their work ahead of time. Sometimes I just tell my younger kids (2-3 grade) that "this is what adults do"...they don't question me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.