Why should you do more than required?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cerek, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Because it just might lead to a JOB!!!!!!

I got a call less than an hour ago from my ST school offering me a job teaching 6th grade math!!!!!!!!!! No interviews needed. No packet or portfolio submitted to the P. But I was offered the position because of dedication and commitment I had to the kids and the school last year and also because of the reputation I earned subbing at a HS whose P was promoted to Personnel Director.

These two men knew my work ethic and that they could count on me to do whatever the school needed, so when a position came open,they called me instead of me calling them.

The current position is just interim and part-time (half day), but there is also the possibility of a bus route opening at the school and the Personnel Director said he would still use me as a morning sub at the middle school and/or his former HS as needed. Add that to my 21st Century tutoring position in the afternoon and I will be MORE than working full time (plus still working at the hotel on the weekends).

3. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!

:celebrate:

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

You got that right!! I've received job offers even when I already had a job because administrators really value the way I work.

The way you give yourself to your profession is noticeable by administrators even when they don't say anything.

5. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Aug 12, 2010

:partyhat::party: Congratulations!!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Fabulous!

Some of us have often said that student teaching and subbing should be treated as an extended interview--go in every day ready and eager to WOW everyone around you. Your story shows that it pays off!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

By the way, you need to change "Subbing while looking for a job"!

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

LOLOLOLOL....I am so excited I didn't even think about that!!! :lol:

Thanks for the reminder. :cool:

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Doesn't that change look good?

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations!!

I agree with your post 100%! I also got my current position because I was a memorable student teacher and substitute. I'm currently teaching the in school I student taught at. They knew me, liked me, and worked hard to make sure I had a position when I finished.

No matter what position you hold in a school, act like you are a permanent member of their staff and treat every moment like an interview!

Again, congratulations!!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 12, 2010

That's awesome! And a great reminder for all the subs and student teachers what great dedication can lead to.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations! And it works the other way, too. If you are not a memorable student teacher or sub, your name will get passed around the district in a not-so-flattering way!

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

That's wonderful!!!!

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations! Yet another success story and testament to those who refuse to settle for the bare minimum.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations!!!

Let me know if I can be of any help with the math!!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Congrats!

17. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Wow - in this market to be offered a job without all the red tape is really saying something! WAY TO GO!!!!!
    :party::party::party:

18. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

awesome!! congrats!

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations! How exciting for you!

20. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations!! :)

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Congrats Cerek :)

Hopefully I have remember correctly, does this help put you closer to your boys??

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 12, 2010

That's fantastic! Congratulations! I know that I am entering my 2nd year at a great school because I also give 150% (some others teachers are no longer teaching with us). You've earned it, Cerek!

23. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

Congratulations and it is well worth other student teachers and new teachers to take note. If they love you at a school, they will work hard to keep you! You have to stand out by the quality of your work - getting along, being open to learn, being prepared, having a good attitude and working hard make a difference.

24. isabel

isabel New Member

Aug 13, 2010

nice post !!!
    congratulation . . . a motivational post i'll said . . . !!!

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

It keeps me where I am instead of having to move to another district for a job. Their mother still lives about 25 miles away and they go to that school district there, but it's no farther than it was last year.

I also got a call from a P in a different district yesterday asking if I could interview this morning for a 7th grade teaching position. That job WOULD have required me to at least get an apartment in the district, because it is 70 miles away and that definitely would have impacted my time with the boys. The middle school is located in the same town as my college alma mater, which would have been neat, but my boys are my first priority and being close to them is more important. So I called the P back. He was busy (probably doing another interview), so I told the secretary I sincerely appreciated the opportunity, but I had already received an offer so I would have to decline their invitation this time.

26. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

So wait you didn't fail your student teaching? You did what your mentor asked? CONGRATULATIONS! (sorry for the sarcasm, it's not directed towards you, but towards the idea that student teachers don't need to do as much as a regular a teacher).

27. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

Awesome!!!
    When I first read the title of your post...I was ready to into a huge spill on why you should do more... :)
    Again...great job and congrats!!!

28. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

Congratulations!

I'll take this knowledge with me when I work up to student teaching.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 15, 2010

LOL...no worries, Brendan. As you've seen, I agreed 100% with the WARNING you posted. ;)

Getting back on this topic, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind I was offered this position because of the impression I made on the P during my ST and the (now) Personnel Director as a sub at his HS. I accepted a LOT of last-minute assignments to that school and even a few spur-of-the-moment assignments, when I arrived to sub for one teacher and was then asked to cover for ANOTHER teacher during that same assignment. In one case, I subbed in a second classroom during the "planning period" from the first assignment. And then I ended up spending the second half of the day working covering for a different teacher after being called to just work a morning shift a couple of times.

One other bit of interest on my new position; it is part of the position I interviewed for at my ST school last year. They needed a science/math teacher and the principal graciously allowed me to apply and interview for the position, even though I was not currently certified in either area (but would soon have my math certification).

The teacher hired in that position WAS certified in science (so he was certainly more qualified than I), but has been moved to a different school during the summer.

So the moral of the story remains; do more than just the minimum requirements. Your actions WILL be noticed, whether you think anyone is watching or not.

30. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 4, 2010

Today was a good example of why I do more than required at work.

My AP has called on me several times already to substitute on bus routes, sometimes at the last minute.

Today, the PE teacher came to my room and asked if I remembered I was driving his bus after school because he was driving one of our school teams to an after-school practice. I told him (honestly) I had forgotten, but it wasn't a problem and I would be happy to do it.

So I get on his bus, get the kids settled in their seats and - just before we start to leave - the AP comes over motioning for me to open the door. She tells me she needs me to drive a different bus because that driver has not shown up and nobody knows where he is. She called the PE teacher on the radio and told him he would have to drive HIS bus so I could drive the other one. Our P would have to drive the team to their practice.

So I go to the other bus, get THAT group of kids settled in their seats, discuss the first few stops with the AP since there is no route sheet available and get ready to pull out - only to have the regular driver finally show up. He had gotten delayed on his other job.

The AP apologized and said "I'm sorry to put you through so much trouble". I told her it was no trouble at all and asked if they needed me to drive the school team to their practice (I didn't realize the P was taking care of it). We went to the front of the school, but the team had already left. So I went on to the after-school program instead.

The AP was very appreciative of the fact I was willing to do whatever they needed done and flexible enough to switch around at the last minute (literally). The P also approached me this morning and thanked me for coming in to school so early every day, even though I technically don't have to be there. He said that would count towards my ERT time (along with tutoring, Open House and other school activities) and I certainly had enough time "built up" (in his opinion) for me to take off our next optional work day if I wanted to.

I don't go in early to build up ERT time, I go in so I can get my lesson plans done, papers graded, and all the other stuff I need to take care of. Since I'm part-time, I don't have a planning period, so I do that on my own time. It's nice, though, because I AM on my own time, even though I'm in my classroom.

31. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Oct 5, 2010

Congratulations!

32. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2010

Congratulations!

33. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 5, 2010

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

As I stated in the OP, I got this position because of my willingness to accept last minute assignments and do more than required as a substitute teacher.

The job I have is part-time and didn't come with a contract, so I'm doing everything to do more than required to keep the job next year.

That includes being available to drive a bus, sometimes at a moments notice. Even when it is planned, it is a tremendous relief to the AP to have an available substitute driver inside the school building. I come in early every day and stayed late, even before I the after-school program started this year. I also do my best to relate to the students as well as teach them.

Finally, the position is technically for a math/science teacher. Since I don't have my science licensure yet, that is next on my list.

In addition to the P noticing that I come in early every day, he also pulled me aside last week to compliment me on the job I was doing. While the teacher last year was a good teacher, I have a much different personality. The P said he received several calls from parents last year about the math lessons and overall classroom atmosphere. This year, he hasn't received any calls at all like that. I've also had one parent (who also subs for us) tell me her daughter LOVES my class. I do my best to make my class fun as well as educational.

Even if I don't get offered this same position (which I hope I will), I feel fairly confident something else will be available in the district and, even though I'm only part-time, I'm now eligible for "Internal Only" vacancies.

34. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

Cerek - I want to thank you for your posts. They are very positive and inspirational! I know your students see your GREAT work ethics through your attitude and the fact you seem to be everywhere! Hopefully many of them will remember that as they move on in life!

35. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

Cerek, I am so excited for you! This is going to be one awesome year, I can tell.

Thank you for reminding me why I need to do everything I can to wow the socks off of my mentors(personality conflicts or no), and every staff member of the schools I sub in. You are truly an inspiration. :hugs:

36. jakissko

jakissko Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

Wow, that's awesome! Whenever I visit with student teachers, one of the first things I tell them is to put themselves on an 11 month contract. Not only will they develop the habit of doing more than they pay for, but they'll be known as hard workers!

Congratulations!

Johnny Kissko
    K-12 Mobile Learning

37. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 7, 2010

Congrats! If ever you want to come to Mississippi, let me know. It's a reminder to all of us that people are watching and taking notes - even if we feel down and out and that nobody cares. Several years ago, I was chosen to present at several conventions -- because someone was taking note of my attitude, professionalism, etc. So, keep up the good work.

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 8, 2010

Thanks again for all of the encouragement. I had another example of my work ethic paying off today.

This morning, I got a text msg from the hotel manager asking if there was any way I could work today. I called the hotel and told her I could work a couple of hours, but then I had to leave for school. I had a bad allergy attack today and would have preferred to stay home, but I took some medicine and went to work.

This past weekend, I worked both days. We were very busy and, in fact, had all rooms booked on Saturday. On Sunday, I discovered I had failed to register one of the rooms in the computer system when the guests checked in. It wasn't a big error, but would cause our internal records to be wrong. A coworker (with much more experience) took over and tried to fix the situation when the guests left, but ended up making the problem worse instead of better. She called the manager later in the day to explain what happened.

On Monday, the manager called me and asked what happened. I told her "I messed up and didn't register them in the computer." She said she knew about that, she wanted to know about the actions my coworker took. I told her what had happened as clearly as I could. Then she said "That's why I wanted to talk to you - I knew you would tell me straight up what happened." The manager had tried calling the coworker, but got no answer. She left messages, but her calls were not returned.

When I went to work this morning, I learned the coworker had been terminated for trying to lie about what she did at first, then trying to place the blame on me after that. The manager never even chastised me for the error because I admitted I messed up and it was my fault. She just said "Anyone could have done the same thing" and left it at that.

39. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

Yesterday, I worked the first evening shift (3-11) at the hotel in several weeks. We have 58 rooms total and, yesterday, 49 of those rooms were check-outs. Needless to say, the housekeepers and laundry were SLAMMED!!!! I folded linen for the first couple of hours I was there, then guests started checking in.

In addition to the "normal" stuff on evening shift, I had the following:

*Three young guys come in and ask if they can buy a towel, because they have a dog in the car and it has started pooping all over the inside. I gave them 3 hand towels from our "rag out" box. (too worn to be put back in rooms, but still in pretty good shape).

*A family group with 4 rooms reserved all check in at the same time. One of the family members made a reservation for Room A, but now decides she wants to stay in Room B with another family member and they want to split the bill for that room evenly. That was fairly easy to fix. Removing her name from Room A was not so easy.

*One of the guests that checked out earlier in the day calls to say his bill shows a higher room charge than he was given when he made the reservation. I looked at the history of his stay and figured out what happened, but told him he would need to speak to the manager about getting the issue resolved. I don't have the authority to do that.

*Another guest called to confirm her reservation for two rooms. I took a look and she was not listed. We had rooms available, so that was no problem. After she arrived, she looked back over her emails and realized that, when she went online to make the reservations, she didn't change the date, so she made them for that night (last weekend). Since OUR system reserved the room and she didn't show up, that counts as a "No Show" and her credit card gets charged. Once again, she will have speak to the manager to resolve that.

*Fire alarm panel begins beeping. I can't get the alarm to silence, so I call the manager. She hears the alarm and thinks the entire SYSTEM is going off (alarms blaring, strobe lights flashing, guests running out in the hall in a panic, etc). That brings her, her husband AND the owner to the hotel at 10pm, only to discover it was just the panel, NOT the entire system. They were so glad it wasn't a real emergency, they didn't mind having to get out of bed to come in.

*Oh...and did I mention there was still a MOUNTAIN of laundry left to wash, dry and fold?

I'm one of the few desk clerks that REALLY take the laundry-folding duty seriously and do my best to help out with that. Most of the others say "That isn't my MAIN job. IF I have time, I'll do what I can." The manager, however, has told us all several times it IS part of our primary job.

We had one housekeeper call in sick yesterday. So, after getting home around 11:30pm and staying up till 2:00am, I get back up at 7:30am, take a shower, get dressed and call the hotel to speak with the manager (who is now working her regular shift). Despite how crazy the night was, I STILL feel guilty about not getting more of the laundry done, so I asked if she wanted me to come in and help them get caught up for a couple of hours. She walks back in the laundry room and says "HOLY CRAP!, I hadn't even looked back here yet. Yeah, if you want to come on in, then please do". So I go help out for 1.5 hours before going to school and get ready for my lessons.

Little stuff like that is what gets you job security in an unsecure market.

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2010

I worked in hospitality all through college. I was a front desk clerk, and then I started working at a high-end resort where I worked as a reseravationist. I have still gone back every summer. There is something about that line of work that I enjoy.

41. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 12, 2010

Congrats :) my dad always said the same thing (and I have seen it time and time again) you do extra, you end up getting the job over others.