Why should we hire you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msrosie, Jul 9, 2015.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

this is my least favorite question because I never have the perfect answer worked out.

I always end up saying something about how I'm a team player and about brining my positivity and enthusiasm to the school.

How do you all answer this question! Is there some magic that interview panels are looking for?

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 9, 2015

I always say something along the lines of.... I am always learning and growing as a teacher. I don't always do the same things from one year to the next, I am willing to learn about new curriculum or initiatives the school may want to start, I learn from my peers, the students, etc. It's always seemed to have a positive response.

4. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

I have never been asked this in a teaching interview, but I definitely agree with shoreline02. I always emphasize that I'm a lifelong learner as well as a positive addition to a school climate and a flexible person and teammate.

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

I want to interview where you're interviewing because 'why should we hire you' is a question that I get at almost all of the interviews I've been on. Even for sub positions.

Being flexible is always emphasised in the personal experiences that go along with answers to questions, but I will definitely emphasize it along with everything else when I inevitibly get this question again.

6. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

It's funny because while I've never been asked that question, I find it so easy to answer. I always get the more situational/theoretical based questions. If you know who you are as an educator, though, it should never be a big deal.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2015

I talk about my best attributes as a teacher- I'm incredibly enthusiastic, I'm fun and I have a great relationship with the students.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 12, 2015

I was just recently asked this question!
    I said because I love teaching & children, I'm always willing to learn and grow more as a teacher, blah blah blah. I think they liked my answer because they actually smiled!
    (But overall, I'm pretty sure I failed that panel interview. I left almost crying; it was pretty bad..)

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 13, 2015

Do you have any teaching experience?

I was asked "why should we hire you" in one of my first interviews and I acknowledged that I was a gamble. No one could actually vouch for my teaching abilities since I'd never had my own classroom. But I promised them that I was worth the risk.

They hired me.

10. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

So sticking my the bringing positivity and enthusiasm to the school and my students is good.

I've never had my own room, but I've done a lot of volunteering and I had a couple long term sub positions last year, so I'd be that same gamble because of my lack of experience.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 13, 2015

Then you really have to sell! Sell! Sell! Highlight how you're willing to learn, work hard and ask questions when you're unsure.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 13, 2015

As someone who has been on an interview panel several times, I can attest that this is an important question. This is the one where I gauge the "fit" of the candidate. Unfortunately, that means there is not always one good answer. It just depends on what I need to hear from that particular person.