Why should I hire YOU????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Each spring and summer, we see lots of cover letters posted here at A to Z.

And, while I'm no expert, it seems that many people don't have the right idea. They either rattle off a series of buzzwords, or spend paragraph after paragraph telling why THEY want to work THERE.

The reality is that the principal wants to know what YOU can do for HIM, and not the reverse.

So let's play a game.

List 3 or 4 reasons why I should hire you. As much as possible, keep your reasons free of buzzwords. Yeah, I know you're the master of differentiated instruction, and you know all about multiple intelligences-- so do all my other applicants. But why should I hire YOU??

Feel free to give an example of Johnny or Susie, who you taught, to illustrate your point.

Let's get you guys thinking in terms that will help in an interview or cover letter, OK??

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks for posting this. I found it highly beneficial.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

OK, Missy, you get a bye-- you answered my question on another thead :)

Oh, and pretty cool how I promoted myself to principal, huh???:lol:

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2010

Well, I have a job for next year, but I know that I will eventually start applyuing to outdoor education schools so here's a go at it, just a rough draft, throwing out some thoughts here while I have an earache :D:

I am a hard working, passionate teacher always looking to improve myself, my classroom, my lessons, my instruction. I am not afraid to try new things in the classroom, taking into consideration that new ideas/methods may take time to become fluid and successful in the classroom. I am passionate and optimistic, but also realistic with my expectations.
    I am also not afraid to cry with my kids. I am not afraid to show that it's okay to cry when we are happy, and cry when we are sad.

... whew, this was hard. But, it was a very good practice. Thanks Alice. When I feel better, I will try this again.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Alice~I would gladly work for you as a P!! :)

Reasons why you should hire me:

1. I'm the BEST teacher!
    2. I use a variety of strategies to get students engaged in learning. I had a student who LOVED toy cars (even gave me one as a gift!). I used his love for toy cars to help teach concepts in science like Newton's Laws.
    3. I have SpEd experience in general education classes so I can each student at their own level.

Really like that first one, huh? ;)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Yeah, I do. Because if YOU don't belive it, you'll never be able to convince ME!

Feel better Peachy!

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

uh-oh! Is this post my fault? haha. I think it is at least partially!
    So here it goes....
    Principal Alice should hire me because 1. I am a highly motivated educator with a passion for collaboration. I value hands on play as a means of learning and engagement 2. I am a team player- (I just recently became one actually- I was never good at it prior to ST'ing in first grade and planning as a team- amazing! I never saw the value in teamwork prior to that because I always just took over. 3. I strive to get to know my students and really focus on communication and relationship building with my students because without that relationship and open communications learning and discipline will not fall into place as well as it could 4. I love teaching kids and seeing that light bulb glow once the student finally reaches that aha! moment.

How's that? Did I get hired? I would like kindergarten, please!

Alice- do you want to be a P someday? I imagine you would be a fabulous one!

9. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

1. I never give up on any kid, or their family, and will do whatever it takes to reach them, academically or behaviorally.

2. I get along with most everyone and if I do encounter a personality that is different from mine, I know that's when I will learn and grow the most.

3. I thrive on all of the successes I've experienced but credit my failures and disappointments with what has made me a better teacher each year.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks, but I don't think so. I'm very happy teaching math.

11. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

I have real-world work experience outside of the classroom that I can use to give students a richer learning experience.
    I am passionate about education. I took a risk leaving a stable job to student teach and hopefully get a job because it is what I love and what I want to do. I won't just give up. This is where I want to be.
    Even though I'm certified in English, I have the compassion and know-how to teach special education students in my classroom. I have a daughter with autism, and I would not want any teacher to give up on her. I won't give up on the students in my classroom either.

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

Oh, I like these!

13. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

Hmm... I tend to think about questions like this in terms of experiences I've had that other applicants probably don't have, but most of you answered in terms of desirable character traits. What does that say about me? :)

For example, when I applied for middle school science jobs I emphasized that I have an MS in biology, I used to be a scientist, and I have worked with children of all ages at a science museum. This approach has always worked for me!

14. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

Hm, this is always hard for me. But I'll give it a try.

One of my best characteristics is my compassion and repoure with my students. My student teaching classes were a handful almost 100% of the time. They tried my patience every single day. I stuck to the routine and the consequences, but there was never a dull moment. One day, I woke up with no voice. I decided to still go in to teach, and when the students realized what was going on, they began to quiet down because 'Ms. S lost her voice.' Then, they began raising their hands and telling me different things I could try to get my voice back. On their way out to PE, a few of them stopped by my desk and hugged me and said 'Ms. S, we hope you feel better and don't worry, we'll be good for you. We're sorry about your voice.' And they did. I will admit I went home and cried. The next day, after seeing a doctor and resting my voice, it was back and I brought candy for the kids for being so well behaved. I still had my ups and downs with them, but after that, it was like a whole different classroom.

I am also able to establish strong relationships with parents. I participated in student teacher meetings, and I expressed my own concerns with certain students. I invited parents into the classroom and was able to answer many of their questions about what their children were learning and how they were faring in class. One of the last field trips I went on with my students, a parent hugged me before she left and thanked me for doing such a great job with her daughter. She said that many times, her daughter got bored in school and didn't want to pay attention, but with me teaching her, I added a little pizazz to the lesson and she was hooked!

Lastly, I have handled difficult situations/students and overcame them in the process. On my second day of student teaching, a boy was mad because the teacher made him throw his popcorn away before returning to the classroom. He decided that he wasn't staying in school, that he would just leave. The teacher was down the hall at this point, and I was walking in the back. I saw him head for the door and stopped him. My arm was between the door and the student while I talked him down for about five minutes. I told him that I enjoyed having him in class and I hoped he would come back because we were doing fun things that afternoon. I said every positive thing I could think of before the office finally realized what was going on and someone came to get him. By that time though, his anger was gone, he was slouched over my arm and crying. He later threw a 'thanks' at me, but all during my time in the classroom, he would leave little notes and pictures he drew for me.

There was another incident later on in the semester in which my cooperating teacher was absent and I was left in charge (with a sub). We spent the morning taking a test, and then I sent a child to another teacher's room to finish her test. Apparently, in the next 10 minutes or so, she worked herself up to a full blown meltdown in the hallway. I asked the sub to continue reading to the class (it was 5 minutes before lunch) and stepped outside. The other teacher told me what happened and I went and stood by her and patted her back while she screamed and cried. I hummed to her and asked her to make a choice when she calmed down. She quieted down after a minute or so and took my hand and walked with me down to the social workers office. We had a few moments inbetween point A and point B, but we made it and she was fine. I walked back into my classroom, got my kids ready for lunch, and walked them down the hall. The other teacher told me that she couldn't believe I calmed her down so quickly, that she usually has to call the office to come and get her. I was pretty proud of myself too :).

Anyways, that was long. I wish I could squeeze that into a small paragraph. When I start writing about it though, so many emotions come to the front and its hard to get to the point :). lol.

15. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

This is a very interesting thread. I just got a new job and what really worked in this case was my willingness to collaborate with other teachers. I will be helping to interview for my former position so I am really interested in the answers here.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

Why should I hire YOU, Mr. Cerek?

I am going to show the students of XYZ Middle School that math class can be FUN! Instead of groaning and dreading math, the students will be saying "I wonder what Mr. Cerek will do today?" How will I do this? By using the proven techniques of Whole Brain Teaching. Students will be actively engaged, not only in learning the content, but in teaching it to their classmates as well. In the process, the material will truly be learned, rather than memorized and forgotten later.

I will work with my team members on cross-curriculum projects to show our students that everything they learn works together, just like the patches of a quilt.

Finally, I will show the students at XYZ that I care about each of them as a person, not just another student. My classroom will be a safe environment where everyone's opinion is valued and respected. I will come to watch their ball games, I will learn what is happening in their lives and I will be there anytime they need someone to listen.

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

You should hire me because:
    1. If I have the privilege to work with you you can absolutely trust me. My goal is to collaborate 100% with you, to learn from you and to share my ideas with you.
    2. I do whatever it takes to help all of my students reach their full potential.
    3. I really look at informal and formal assessments to see where my students are and to help me to determine what topics I may need to cover more and what topics my students have already mastered.

19. womby

womby Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

I believe that you should hire me because as a life long learner, I will come to school everyday with the intention of learning something new. Given that, if you visit my classroom, you will see students that value learning and enjoy the chance to do so.

Though my classroom may be arranged in rows or the desks may face the blackboard, I know in my heart that every person in the room is just as capable of "being in the front", so therefore learning from each other, and cultivating a love of learning will be in the forefront of my classroom. I know you want the best for your students, and I assure you, I will work everyday to expect the best from both my students and myself.

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 15, 2010

First and foremost I love history. My students know from day one that I am passionate for my subject matter and I know the content. I don't deal with any classroom mangement problems because my students are constantly working and loving History. I try my best not only to teach my students, but instill the love of History I have upon them. I incorporate many different things in my lessons from Simulations to old fashion lectures I do it all.

21. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jul 16, 2010