Why recommend?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by deserttrumpet, Jul 15, 2008.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Last year I had a kid for second semester who drove me crazy (I know, we all have that one kid). He had a real authority issue and was the type of kid to go behind your back to get things his way. Well, end of the year his grade in the class was not high enough for me to recommend him to biology. Of course he was upset “I did good in class, I just didn’t do my work.”

So, I get my roosters for this year and guess who is in my biology class?

And you know what the worst part is? I knew he would do this. I knew that despite the fact that I had talked to councilors that he wasn’t ready for biology, wrote him down for the lower class, and had talked to his mom, that he would end up in biology.

What is the point in recommending a kid if they can sweet talk their way into whatever class they want to go into? :confused:

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

You are just the teacher--what do you know?? Soooooo frustrating....

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Ugh. It will be hard to look out and see his face in that class, won't it?

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Nope - I made arrangements with the other Bio teacher that if this kid should wiggle his way into a bio class then this kid would take the class with him. I believe this child will do better with a male teacher as he has trouble with female authority figures.

It just upsets me that he was able to wiggle.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Look at it this way - he may have been able to wiggle into the class, but if he's not capable of doing the work, he'll be squirming...

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

What will really be amazing is when he starts having trouble with the class, and his parent calls for a meeting with the teacher, and says "But he's never had any problem with science before!"

That always cracks me up -- do parents think teachers don't talk to each other?

I had a parent last year call me on the phone to say she couldn't imagine why her son was in trouble -- that he'd NEVER had any problems before my class! Why Ms. G (the child's previous year teacher) NEVER had any problems with him!"

Funny thing was, her child's previous year teacher was standing next to me at the time. I said, "Really?" and handed the to Ms. G. Ms. G. "reminded" the parent of the dozens of meetings and phone calls during the previous year due to behavior issues...

It couldn't have worked out better if I had planned it.. but alas, it doesn't usually work out that way.

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I had a parent who would try "he's only failing your class" (so it must be the teacher who is the problem). The kid was failing all his core classes. The mom would just target each teacher one-on-one. She didn't seem to understand that we had access to all of his grades.

9. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I had a student who was argumentative and belligerent with me and she ended up switching to another class. She ended up being a perfect angel in that class. I think she did it just to prove that I was "out to get her".

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

On rarely do students who do poorly in a lower level class go on to do well in a higher class. Unfortunately, we have to deal with all the whining crying parents in between. Who knows, maybe this kid will blossom under the male teacher. If he does, that will be great, if he doesn't...you did your best.

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

The first quarter he will be a good student... I know this because football means a lot to him. So, he will keep the grades up and behavior so that he can play. After football season it will probably go downhill.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 16, 2008

There was a coach around here not too long ago that refused to let kids play if their grades the previous spring were not up to snuff. They should all be like that.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

One of the reasons we recently changed to a nine week grading period was because football season is basically over before students get their first report cards :)

14. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 17, 2008

That's a crafty kid!

15. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Our football coach is great about making the kids tow the line during football season. Almost any kid on the team will be pleasant during this time. After football it doesn't matter if they play other sports or not, many of them go down hill in grades and behavior. Boy did it surprise me my first year. I thought I had a group of great boys in one of my classes until after football.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

It's a sin when athletes get away with murder. Last year I had a kid who had 14 truancies from my class and was a giant pain whenever he was in class. I tried to drop/fail him after 6 truancies, as is school policy, but...he was a football player, with an extremely "pro-active" parent, so I was stuck with him. He eventually flunked out and finished up at the continuation school.