Why, Oh Why Did I Agree to Teach Summer School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 8, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 8, 2010

I know many schools cut back this year due to budget deficits-so I am glad to be able to make some extra money. But this is the first year (and I've done it for the past 8 summers) that I've regretted this decision. Today was Day 2 it felt like Day 22.

Part of it is that we had to share another school campus because ours is beginning some construction and it's hard to get used to all new policies, location of things (you have to get a key to use the teacher's restroom, like at the gas station :confused:). Part is that we are supposed to follow a specific math and reading curriculum-we don't even have the materials for the latter yet and the math is just too easy for them, so it's rewriting the whole thing anyway (it amazes me how little most people think Kinders can do).

It's also such a long day-7:30 to 2:30 - no break, have to eat lunch with the kids. Anyway, I'm just complaining-maybe it will make those of you who wanted to teach but couldn't feel a little better?

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

Let's start a countdown calendar for you. When is the last day?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2010

I taught summer school last year and enjoyed it, but decided not to this year. It's been a long, stressful year (although a very rewarding one) and I need a break. Just the other day, I was looking at my bank balance and wondering if I should have decided to teach--reading your post made me sure that my decision was the right one for this year.

Hang tough; when do you finish?

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 8, 2010

I don't teach summer school, but ours is only from 8-12.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 8, 2010

I start on Monday, but ours is all online credit recovery. There will be a lot of kids, but there won't be any direct instruction.

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

I start mine on Monday too... BUT mine is only for 3 weeks and from 8:30 to 11:30. So I'm hoping it's not too bad. =)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2010

We started yesterday. Only 4 kiddos in both am/pm classes. It's very laid back. We all eat lunch together and we get a duty free lunch. It's been a great surprise at how much I'm enjoying it. We finish up with 6-7 graders on June 25 and 8th graders on the 30th.

9. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

I also am teaching summer school....for 6th-8th language arts. We started last week, and KinderCowgirl, I felt much like you the first couple of days. Now, on day six, I am really enjoying it. It is making me stretch a bit, and I am constantly on guard not to treat them like 5th graders! :) But all in all, it is good. I hope it turns around soon for you, too. Hang in there!! :hugs:

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2010

I just have to say it's funny reading about summer school when we're not even done with the 09-10 school year until the 18th!

No summer school for me. My subject area doesn't offer summer school, if you fail my class you don't get the credits and that's that.

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

That's not too bad. It gives you time to have an afternoon nap :)

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 8, 2010

I heard the horror stories from 2 teachers about teaching summer school in this district, so I'd never attempt to and they won't again either. They said the paperwork was astounding/much worse than during the regular year.

Hopefully it will get better for you.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 8, 2010

Thank you for your replies! :thanks:

I usually really do enjoy it-but I also usually get another grade level so it is an opportunity to really stretch a bit and have access to my room and materials. I do like getting home by 3:00 (my puppy likes that too). I'm going to suck it up and try to muster all my energy to enjoy it more! I think it's only 18 more days now.:whistle:I got them some things to make a snack with tomorrow-that might liven the troops up a bit!

I thought about how many are still in regular session. I'll feel the same way when people start posting about still preparing their classrooms long after we have already begun! :D

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 8, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, my youngest son (who just finished 1st grade) is on his second day of summer school and he's just as unhappy as you are :D

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 9, 2010

If you it makes you feel any better...I work mandatory summer school for 6 weeks with no extra pay. I envy you all!

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 9, 2010

I start summer school on Monday and I am dreading it! I have only taught second session (July) for the last 6 years and somehow I got suckered into June too. I am exhausted, but I know the money will be good and I don't plan on doing anything fancy. I am teaching high school math and reading this summer.

17. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

That's awful!! My pay isn't fantastic, but I am grateful for the extra income....I can't imagine being required to do it with no additional compensation. Not fair! :(

18. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

That's tough, too, DizzyKates...how much time will you actually have off to rejuvenate before school starts up again? :)

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 9, 2010

Yes, and it is one reason I'm looking for a new job ;)

20. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

Best of luck in your search! I hope you find your dream school! :angel:

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 9, 2010

Ouch, can they make you do it with no pay?

I've taught summer school two summers and really enjoyed it. I suppose it was the timing. My son was starting college the next fall and the extra money was great and the other time was when I'd started grad school and used the extra dollars to pay tuition.

The kids were really needy too and I really enjoyed them.