Why NOT say you're a new teacher?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by raneydae, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

Hi... there are great new teachers, great old teachers, horrible new teachers and horrible old teachers. It sounds like you have a great future !! Good Luck !!

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2008

I think that the average parent of the average kid won't care much.

But those aren't the ones you're being warned about. It's the parents who are looking for someone to blame for their child's lack of success in your class that people are worried about.

There are some parents out there who will not acknowledge that their child is less than perfect, in terms of behavior, work habits or academic talents. When that child has academic trouble, the parent is going to look for someone to blame. A first year teacher is an easier target than a veteran.

The problem, of course, is that you don't know in the beginning who those parents are. And that you can't "untell" them that you're new.

Funny (though long) story:
    Two years ago, I returned to the school in which I had taught from 1987 until 2000. (When I became a SAHM.) Midway through the year, I was bumped from my 7th grade class to cover a Precalculus maternity leave. (It was impossible to find a qualifed Pre-calc sub, and relatively easy to find one for math 7.) So, as far as these Seniors were concerned, I was "new" though I had actually taught a number of their teachers.

On my first day, I picked up in the middle of the lesson on the ellipse. One of the parts of the ellipse is the Latus Rectum. One of the boys decided to give me a hard time, and asked at least a dozen questions, all on the latus rectum. After a while, the questions didn't even make sense, but he still asked away, as long as he could fit that phrase into the question.

At the end of the class, I stopped and said to him: "Alex, this is my 14th year teaching in this building. I've also potty trained 3 kids. Do you seriously think that the word "rectum" is going to send me out of the room crying???" The class laughed, he high-fived me on the way out, and my reputation was made with the Seniors.

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2008

Alice,
    I love that story! Now do you have a snappy comeback for when I'm teaching my 6th graders about the planet Uranus? No matter which pronunciation you use, it never fails to amuse them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2008

STeal my line!!! If you're not married with kids, invent some kid siblings or kids you've babysat and potty trained!!

5. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

U R N Charge!

Sometimes students will try to run over you when they find out you are a new teacher. However, as long as you are confident and show from the moment you step into the classroom that you are the one in charge then they will know from the start that you are not there to play games with them. I personally think that being a first year teacher has nothing to do with how the students will act because in the end it all reflects how you deal with them as a teacher.