Why it's All Worth It

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

I teach middle school history - the most maligned of subject/age combinations and I love it. It was my birthday today - a fact which I did not once announce.

Roughly 100 kids said happy birthday to me, many of whom I didn't even know.
    2.5 classes sang to me. (one kind of gave up half way through...)
    2 classes secretly made me cards during class.
    2 of my AVID kids came in at lunch just to hang out and play board games.

and then to top it all off I was visited by one of my former AVID kids who is now a Junior in college (hasn't been my student for 7 years). She brought me a cupcake and told me she was thinking about changing her major to history because Biochem is too much and she's always had a love of the subject since she had my class in 7th grade.

This kind of stuff makes all the other nonsense just seem so insignificant. As long as they keep paying me enough to keep the lights on at home I'll continue to be a very blessed man as long as I get to do this job.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2012

Happy birthday!

I had something similar on my birthday. I didn't make any big announcement about my birthday, yet all three of my classes sang to me, and I got a bunch of hugs and birthday wishes. Kids from one of my classes decorated my classroom with full birthday decorations, cupcakes, and drinks. They even did all their work and cleaned up the room before they left.

Days like that make me forget that middle school kids aren't always sweet and likable.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

Excellent. The honesty of children never ceases to amaze me.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

Happy bday!

I had a student once who brought me roses and chocolate for my bday after I mentioned months before that that's what I wanted for my bday.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2012

Happy birthday! The best gift must be the knowledge that you inspire and engage so many young minds, and they stay engaged for years to come.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

Wow-that is a wonderful gift! :thumb:

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 2, 2012

Happy Birthday!!

Ironic, as I was on your website today and actually emailed you a question about the Mayan Culture Shock. You have students in good old' Chicago who also think you are a great teacher and are currently having a blast learning about the Mayans because of you :) They are currently enjoying drawing "good looking" Mayans.

9. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Oct 2, 2012

I love kids!

I make no, zero, zip, zilch, announcement of my birthday. I usually take the day off, but didn't this past year for a variety of reasons.

I walked into my room on my birthday and my advanced kids had been let in and completly decked the place out, banners, messages, a giant homemade card with more messages. They also got together and purchased a cake to have during class.

I was completly shocked and floored. It's the only time I've been near tears since my first year of teaching. Needless to say, I had a giant smile on my face that day. I also made sure to help them repay the favor to my co department head's birthday, who I am sure spilled the beans about my birthday.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2012

Happy birthday! And kids can be so thoughtful!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Happy (belated) birthday!

Aren't kids wonderful?

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

That's so sweet! It's definitely those exact moments that I will miss about my middle school students.