Why is it that some districts do not allow requests?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by heavens54, Jan 24, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2010

Is this the case in your district? We used to have teacher requests, but now, it is no, only the principal can request for long term or special situations. The subbing is scheduled by rotation, which I am still not clear what that means. I know that, to me, it means not working as much as I suspect that other subs do. If a teacher likes a sub and wants that sub to be with her students, why not be able to request this? Who knows better than the teacher? Not the district scheduler...

How does it work in your district?

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

In the one school district around here, they do it by alphabetical order. EXCEPT, every day they always start with the first A on the list. As someone with a name at the end of the alphabet, I was only called in twice the entire school year I was on their list (figured it wasn't worth staying on).

The other school does a rotation. So she always begins calling at the place she left off of the list. However, there are exceptions. I had one principal ask for me to be placed in his school every day (I hadn't known that until the year after when the security guard told me). Most days I would show up and there wouldn't even be a classroom for me. The principal would tell me to roam the halls and take breaks whenever I needed it. I can only presume he just wanted me to get to know who the students were

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 24, 2010

Toak, you were a floating sub. It's strange that they just didn't make this your job if that was going to be the case.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2010

Our district prefers that the teacher find the sub.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

My district allows requests, but for those that don't, I assume it's to keep things fair. After a little while, teachers will start liking certain subs & request them more & more & have their favorites. Well, that's great for those subs, but not fair to other subs who are new, not as well known, etc., so as a result, the teachers will keep requesting their same subs repeatedly & other subs never get a chance.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 24, 2010

One of the districts I work for has 99 laid off teachers who get first calls for subbing. The rest of us can't even check to see if jobs are available. We just have to wait for calls. Needless to say, I haven't worked there at all this year.

Maybe the situation in your district is similar and there are some people with priority due to recent RIFs.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

I imagine that they're doing this rotation thing so that every sub gets an equal chance to sub. The problem with this is that not all subs are fantastic. Let's be honest here: not all subs are even a little bit competent.

I've had subs that were awful. I never want them in my room again.

On the other hand, I've had subs who were amazing. I'll call them first whenever I know I'm going to be out. I would hate to lose the freedom to choose my own subs. I'll let the sub system randomly assign a sub if none of the subs I like are available, but I at least want the chance to ask them first.

9. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

In our district teachers book their own subs. Before this the secretaries at the schools were booking, and in a couple of schools, they were just calling their friends who were subs.

I like booking my own as I have 5 and I rotate through them fairly.

10. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

In our district (I'm also in SO cal), teachers can put you in, but like others have said it can make it hard for newer subs to find a "niche"

11. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 26, 2010

In the districts I've worked, the regular teachers do have favorite go-to's for their subs. This does make it a bit hard for newer subs to break in, though; some school sites tend to have their favorites.

If you're new, when there's a job assignment - seize it, do well, and build up your name, such that you, too, will be on "the list".

12. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jan 27, 2010

Our district also has about 100 teachers still on the "call back list" from being RIFed last year (myself included). These teachers have the option to be subs and due to the union negotiations, they must be called first. Therefore the district has taken away the teacher's ability to request subs. Once all of the RIFed teachers who are subbing have been called, then the rest of the list will be called by the subfinder system. I've also been told that the computer begins to create a sort of senority type list based on how often a sub takes jobs and then calls in that order.

13. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jan 27, 2010

In my district if a teacher wants a particular sub the job never gets entered into our AESOP system so it is all worked out at the school level.

The AESOP system is very nice. It immediately posts openings so that has set-up their profile to receive listings for particular schools, subjects, or grade level has an equal opportunity to accept the job. You can even sign up for “text alerts” about jobs so that you’re not tied to a computer or waiting by the phone.

I honestly couldn’t imagine a P having the time to get involved in sub selection??

14. azure

azure Companion

Jan 27, 2010

We have the AESOP system too. Teachers are allowed to enter their "five favorites." If they post an absence, it goes out to those 5 first, but if none of those 5 accept it (which is rare), then it goes out to everybody. But I get the sense that it isn't posted to just those 5 for very long.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 27, 2010

See, now this is where I get a bit bummed. Not that the district calls RIF'd teachers first. That's the least they can do after taking your jobs away. It's the preference to call subs who work more often. As a new sub, I'm not working very many days because I don't get the chance. If a teacher posts a job in the middle of the day and I happen to be the first to pounce on it, then sometimes I can get in, but if I wait for the system to get around to calling me, I'd work about once a month. It's very hard to make any connections when the system works against you doing that.

16. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

In the district I'm in, if you deny three job offers in a row you have to call and ask to be put back on the list. But you get more than enough work for it to be the only school district you sub for