Why is homework bad?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Jerseygirlteach, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

my hw is similar to what you posted in OP. my district policy is 10 x grade level, so thirty minutes in grade 3. It's not excessive:2cents:

2. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 29, 2014

My school actually requires a certain number of homework assignments per semester. I never have to worry since I give it every night, but I know it annoys some teachers who never give homework.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 29, 2014

I believe I've stated this several times now, but wth will one more time hurt.

Responsibly assigning age appropriate homework has been proven to be effective and, when used correctly, can benefit students, and is good.

Disparaging families' time together by making sweeping statements regarding students' choice of activities is disrespectful, and is bad.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 29, 2014

Making a broad statement about a students' choice of activities does not disparage the families to which the statement doesn't apply. Note I did not say that all students make the same choices.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 29, 2014

Interesting...do you feel misquoted or that someone misread what you said?

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 29, 2014

Going back over my posts, I don't really know how any of them could be misread, but it seems that a lot of people interpreted it the way they wanted to.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2014

Um. Is making a broad statement about a student's choice of activities going to build bridges, or is it going to deepen chasms? I'm afraid I suspect the latter.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 29, 2014

Yeah, deja vu, someone read my post about what I thought students SHOULD be doing at home, the way they wanted to interpret it... as some idealized idea of what they were actually doing at home.

9. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 29, 2014

From a fellow Jersey girl to another, I really think you need to consider why you are asking this question to begin with. Did it come up in a parent-teacher conference or elsewhere at school? It's clear that you have strong beliefs related to homework. You said several times that you don't want to start a debate but don't necessarily seem open to other people's viewpoints on this topic. As a result, I'm a little confused by what you're looking to get out of this thread. :dizzy:

In our school, the homework policy is as follows:

K - 0 minutes
    1 - 15 minutes
    2 & 3 - 30 minutes
    4 - 60 minutes
    5 & 6 - 90 minutes
    7 & 8 - 120 minutes or more

Of course there are days when this may be more or less, but this is just the overall guideline for the district.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 29, 2014

Well I am sorry if I misread your post.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

That is not exactly what I said, but others have already indirectly pointed that out.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 29, 2014

Well in this case you said: "Are you implying that schools own the lives of children? So, teachers decide how much of the child's time (after contracted school hours) they will take and as long as they deem it needed for practice and learning it is acceptable."

I think that could be summarized, do teachers have the right to decide how a student uses their time after school?

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 29, 2014

I brought it up for the reason I said I was bringing it up in the first post: It seems to be the consensus on this board that hw is bad and I wanted to know why people felt that way. I do not share that opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to considering other points of view. If I wasn't, why would I ask?:confused: I'm not sure what would give you that impression.

No parent has ever complained to me about too much homework. I have had many parents request more. I've even had kids request more weekend hw because the get "bored" on the weekends and that's the honest to goodness truth.

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

Without knowing the short activity in math, it is hard to say if it is busy work. Without knowing your list of activities for spelling, it is hard to say if it is busy work. Without knowing the level and type of disabilities vs the work being provided and if the students are actually learning from them or going through the motions, it is hard to say if it is busy work.

Example: A student who struggled terribly with written work. Copying words was an exercise in actually drawing the letters because the letters were not automatic. The spelling exercises were all written work because otherwise how could the teacher tell homework was done. The activity of writing the words in rainbow colors or drawing pictures and writing the words did not help the student learn the words. Oral spelling and recitation with another adult did. So, in this case, a child having to choose from a list of activities was busy work - worse it was excruciating.

While this is a special case, for many kids, homework is busy work. For some kids who already know the math completely, the math homework is busy work. For example, they know their facts and have known them for years. Doing that homework is busy work. They have demonstrated right off the bat they know how to determine perimeter of rectangles. They can tell you the definition and the process and show examples in class. The homework is busy work.

So, yes, homework can be busy work even if it sounds like it isn't.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

I believe the bolded words were interpreted as meaning you didn't want to debate. Yet, you did join in, it is being debated, and you are participating.

Maybe you can explain what "I can assure you that I not looking to debate" means to you.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2014

My students are out at 3:23, buses leave around 3:35, and they almost all take the bus. Some kids don't get home until 4:30. If they go to bed at 7:30, that's not very much time to unwind, eat dinner, and shower.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

Jerseygirl doesn't seem to be starting the debate here. :2cents:

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 29, 2014

The very nature of the OPs post is a debate. Jerseygirl just forgot about the new trend on these forums...to start the title with DEBATE TIME:.....

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

Not sure how asking others if her schedule is busy work, stating that some seem to think homework is bad, and asking why people think homework is bad is going to do anything other than start a debate on a chat board. It does seem to me that she did open a debate, particularly because she did respond to those who felt differently than she does. If she did not want to debate, a thank you for your opinion would have been more suitable than posting an argument against someone else's viewpoint. :2cents:

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

Many kids have after school activities: sports, clubs, and other fun things. Plus, they need time to be kids--play outside and watch TV.

However, I did assign homework each night. Parents knew exactly what to expect: one double-sided page. The homework focused on whatever I taught that day so the children could get some extra practice at home.

I didn't grade homework (only checked for completion) nor did I take away recess for incomplete homework. However, I'd do a monthly "Lunch Bunch" for kids who turned in homework for the entire month.

I know not all teachers on my grade level agreed with my policy, but it worked for me and I had very few problems with incomplete homework.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 30, 2014

For the past two years, I worked at a school that gave uniform homework across the grade level. I was very frustrated because I felt it was incredibly excessive, but I didn't have a choice. It was given over the weekend and often on vacations, as well. We usually gave our first graders a math worksheet, spelling homework, and some kind of grammar sheet, and sometimes another sheet. Plus, they were expected to read 20 minutes a night. I know it was taking some of the kids an hour at least. Believe me, I did NOT like giving it!!!

My new school is a breath of fresh air. My principal doesn't believe that homework is very useful, so she encourages us to give the minimal amount possible. 4th and 5th grades give about the same. We're giving a math sheet M-Th that goes with the lesson for that day - it's valuable to me to see how they're doing with it at home, it shows the parents what we're doing, and it gives the kids extra practice. We have a 60 minute math block and we just don't always have time to do the amount of practice I would like. We are going to be differentiating the math homework, as well.

We aren't into reading logs at my school, but we're expecting the kids to read...maybe not every night, but read. Thankfully, my class is full of very self-motivated readers so this hasn't been a problem. I really emphasize to the parents (and students!) that reading is the most important thing they can be doing at home. I hated how, at my other school, it was always oh finish all these worksheets and then squeeze in extra time to read. Reading should be first! And we also have 30ish minutes of independent reading time during our Reading Workshop block.

My 5th graders are involved in TONS of activities - sports, dance, gymnastics, violin lessons, etc etc etc. I think it's so important that they have time to be involved in these things, and time to decompress! I need that time; don't 10 year olds need it even more??

In response to a previous post - 90 minutes for homework in 5th grade seems HIGHLY excessive. Yikes.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2014

This is a great example of a horrible HW policy. These are the policies that give HW a bad name. It sounds like this school was a perfect example of all the things not to do with HW.

1. High amounts of HW to 1st graders (yuck!)
    2. HW over weekends and vacations. (yuck!)
    3. Uniform HW where teachers can't make decisions of how to differentiate based on the levels of their students. (yuck!)

Thanks for sharing your experience. While I support reasonable HW policies, I am firmly against so many schools who implement poor HW practices.

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 30, 2014

The charter school where I taught for 3 years had a no homework policy.

It had its pros and cons, much like giving homework.

Like many have said, homework needs to be meaningful and I would love to differentiate my homework assignments. That is my November goal as I am in a new school as well as in a new grade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.