Why is creating a bulletin board so challenging????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I went to our teacher supply store today. I used to make my bulletin board materials but have taken the easy (but expensive) way out and purchased back-to-school/welcome bb sets the past few years. I didn't find anything that "wow"ed me today. It all seems like the same stuff every year. Does anyone else struggle over a bulletin board? Really, what's wrong with me? Of all the things to struggle over, choosing a bb shouldn't be so difficult! :dizzy:

If you have a great idea, PLEASE share!

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

i agree. When I have looked for bb sets, I'm never impressed. So, I do make mine. It does take time, but I am always so much happier with them.

In fact, I really HATE canned bb sets.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I hate BB displays all together. I would rather write lesson plans for an extra subject than do BB duty! YUCK! I have never been artistically talented so it's a real challenge for me. I always just put up an I can statement aligned with the standard and put up student work demonstrating student learning. I have a ridiculous amount of canned BB sets that just sit in a closet since we aren't allowed to use them. I use an odd piece here and there for instructional purposes but that's it. We have a few teachers in my building who love BB decorating. they are like magic BB fairies! I just stare at them like they are aliens from another world. Makes no sense to me....not at all! Time working on a BB for me is a waste of my valuable time!

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

yeah we aren't allowed to use canned bb sets either. I do like doing bb though. It's part of my relaxation time. Mine are crazy creative as I make sure they have a purpose and not just decorative. However, I spend WAY more time planning than doing a bb.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

Look on-line for examples to copy...er "inspire" you.

I click Google image and find sites that have pictures of the boards.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I dislike bulletin boards, too, though I do interactive bulletin boards. (Wrinkles face) I don't like the stapling. Hmm.

8. DaMaddHatter

DaMaddHatter Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Put me squarely in the anti-bulletin board crowd. I always assumed it was because I am male that I am just no good at doing them. But, I have never been convinced that they add ANYTHING to education. In my experience, kids pay little or no attention to them. Seems like a big waste of time in a field where we already waste so much time. Any others agree?

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I agree, so I've made the bulletin boards interactive or useful. For example, I have the math board. It has the Calendar Math items, space for more math works and a few posters of how to
    do something like long division or dividing fractions or fraction bars.

I have a writing board that has lists of ways to start stories, examples of storu endings, etc.

I think I have one set of posters above the board that are just for looking at--they're motivational.

Everything else on the wall is used by the students or introduced at part of a lesson. (For example, when I taught Science, I had downloaded large photographs of deltas, sand dunes, barrier islands, etc. so that these poor central Georgia kids could see what they looked like.)

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I have started using clear thumb tacks instead of staples. It is not as clean looking but really easy to change and move. The kids can move the pieces around.

Also - if you do not like making b. boards - find a picture of one and have an overly helpful parent do it for you. They love stuff like that! Also, student teachers often need to make a b. board for class so offer that job to them.

11. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Anchor charts take up most of the bulletin board space in my classroom.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

good idea! stealing it...:hugs:

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

The tacks are the easiest to use in the classroom for me, but not the hallway because the fifth graders like to walk by and take things off the board- or remove part of the border. That's what drives me crazy about putting them up in the hallway- I perhaps update that board about three times a year. I'm trying to improve, though.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 15, 2009

Hate is too weak of a word to describe what I feel about bb's. Waste of time, maybe. I have 2 humongous boards, that are squarely above my cabinets, so they can't really be interactive. I had 2 others, but I convinced the janitors to "lose" one after they moved my white boards. Now the one smaller one is my Information Station, which I do change once a month. I put up the paper in order, from May out to August, at the beginning of the year, so I only have to rip that month's off like a big notebook to reveal the next month. Actually, last year I talked dh into putting all of those up, so I didn't even do that.

Don't tell, but when I had a ST, I made a big production of "letting" her have one of the big boards to decorate however she wanted. She was so excited-sucker!

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

:D

I don't remember if there is a bulletin board in my classroom. If there is, I will do as little as possible with it. Current event type things maybe. I want to do a weekly identification challenge, for example.

I've got a few graphics I have made already (not for teaching, but I can adapt). I was a graphic designer and I love futzing about in Illustrator of Photoshop, but the idea of cutting and gluing and stapling and making a bb does not appeal. Blech.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 15, 2009

That is so bizarre. I wonder why?

17. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

I'm lucky. I don't have any bulletin boards in my room that are accessible. They are behind my computers and above the class library. I put up one bulletin board at the beginning of the year, move all the stuff back in front of it and then leave it there all year.

I do have a bulletin board outside my classroom that I have to change once/month, and I struggle to create stuff for it every time.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2009

As an aide, I hated bulletin boards. As a teacher, I plan to assign that task. Uggh! Is that evil of me?

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

No. Rejoice in the POWER.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

I let my paras do them sometimes when I just don't feel inspired.

I have "canned" BB's and some original stuff. One time last year I was so overloaded with kids. My principal said something about me being the old woman in a shoe. Light bulb came on and I made a board out of it... lol I put the kids' headshots in the windows and I had my pic in the door with a stressed out look on my face. I put the first line of the poem on there. People got a kick out of it.

I have a few sites that I go and bum ideas from them.

21. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

I enjoy doing bulletin boards, but usually don't like the "canned" ones either! I hate walking down the hall and seeing the same display in a coworkers classroom.

Mrs. Mom- Any way we can help you come up with something?

22. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

My opinion is that unless students have an opportunity to interact with materials being put up on the walls, they will largely go un-noticed or un-used.

I picked up something at the local teacher's store this week...looks like tape you can stick up anywhere, that you can stick papers/displays onto it. Haven't tried it yet but have high hopes of getting rid of the stapler next year - and not leaving all those little holes in my pristine, like-new walls. :)

23. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

It's challenging b/c we want our area to be aesthically appealing to us! I hate walking the schools that I teach at to see horrible displays, or nothing up. It's soo depressing looking! Sometimes I don't think people realize how much of an impact just the colors can make to an environemnt, attitude etc.

It's just like decorating your house and picking out colors...drives you crazy until it feels just right! :D

24. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

when I am feeling creative I love my bulletin board. Because I can make some really attractive ones. When I am feeling stressed or lack of creative juice I hate it. I have to change the one in the hallway monthly.

It is a love-hate relationship.