Why Interview when they already know who has the job!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Jul 13, 2008.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

I went to an interview on Friday. I was ten minutes early got there to find out they were running 30 minutes late.

It seem like they knew who they were going to pick for the job and then why interview?????

It is a waste of my time.

People interviewing was stacking up.

The person before me who knew everyone with 9 years experience --- was in there for 45 minutes ----I could here her laughter the whole time and they said sometimes when they click with someone interviews take longer

mine was only 25 minutes

The person after me had worked for the district ---

I know with no experience I'm cheaper -- and I'm in California but how do you compete?

I was a nervous wreck since by the time I walked in there--- I already gave up!

They were calling back for second interviews the same day

so oh well but I am getting frustrated and want to give up!

One more interview next week

and I should hear from a place where I think I had a good interview early in the week!

I think my nerves and why hire me attitude is doing me in---

I do not want to try --

by the way I am turning 34 next week and this is the first year I for got my birthday was approaching

Stephanie

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

My confidence plumets when I see the other people being interviewed. I go into anxiety mode comparing myself to them.

Afterwards is the worst though. I review every tiny little word I uttered, every movement I made, everything. This has been worse since I turned down a low-ball offer, knowing that might have been "the chance".....

So I know how you feel. :hugs: It is so hard to stand out in Ohio too, honestly if I spontaneously grew another head during the interview, I'd probably be informed the previous candidate also grew another head and that extra head had more classroom experience than mine. *sigh*

I'm sure by September we'll all look back on this and laugh. :lol:

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Stephanie,

I completely understand what your feeling. I was interviewed at two different schools in Acton and one in Castaic. I was told that I interviewing skills were excellent and that I have very impressive recommendation letters. So I ask myself, Why didn't I get the job?
    Maybe it's money. I have 8 years experience, 4 years of subbing and 1 year of tutoring students.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

union/school board dictates that job must be posted and interview 3 or so victims...

doesn't state that they must hire you...

edited to add...which is why I have turned pretty callous, and don't mind doing no -shows or calling people to cancel, when I realize position is not for me.

6. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

The unfortunate answer is that unless you get really lucky, you can't compete under these circumstances. The best solution would be to side step the problem by relocating to an area where there's a critical shortage of teachers. Arizona has a lot of teaching positions that are still open. Clark County in Nevada would probably take you since they're the fastest growing public school district in the country.

I understand that many applicants have a problem with relocating ... but I would submit for your consideration that teachers willing to relocate will considerably broaden their employment opportunities.

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

I've been getting special education interviews and alot of my classmates have gotten jobs . . . alot have not. . .

I can not relocate. . . .I have a child with severe disabilities and it is hard to relocate I am adding my mod-severe credential.

Stephanie

8. zenith

zenith Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

favoritsm works

just now found out that somebody gets a job just because sombody helps that person to get that job along with the questions from the interview. Why face wash others, put other ppl in hassle of interviewing if it is already decided?
    What otherss have to say?

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

If nobody else would apply, it would be way too obvious if the other person got the job. Unless a job is for inside candidates only. Nobody else applies, they get it without contest.

I sued, because I was the only black teacher who applied, and they decided to terminate me during probation, because they knew I was smart enough to complain. They hired a teacher with less education, who was another teacher's mom!

10. zenith

zenith Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

so not only favoritism but also race.GOD protect us!
    first amendment being ruined.

other point ,the new hire is not even fully credentialed. another discrimination on above of other interviewed pesons.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Oh that is just ridiculous!!! Those emergency permits, full time subs in Chicago who can't be hired because they can't pass the test, paying them less... I don't get it at all...why do we go thru all this work and money if you are willing to settle for somebody who hasn't?

Yes, everyone has a story, and I don't mean to knock anyone down...but it really isn't fair.

At least I found a job description that reads 'must have masters degree OR being in enrolled in a degree program.' Give me some leeway here! I can see you chosing someone who has more education, but if I am in a program, that shows my willingness to achieve more. Not saying the guy with the MA isn't any good... but if your description reads either/or...then we are both on equal grounds. But when you choose somebody who doesn't even have credentials, and the description clearly says that is required...that means they are making up rules as they go along! Or changing the game so their friends can play. :unsure: