Why I Love Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wanting2teach, May 17, 2012.

1. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 17, 2012

As the year winds down, I find myself getting more frustrated, worn out, and just plain ready for summer! I like to dwell on the positive, everyday little things that make me love teaching. Let's all share one thing we love about teaching! It may give some of us the extra push we need through the end of the year!

I love the little, silly compliments I get from students. Today's was: "Wow! You're so good at making copies!"

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 17, 2012

I had a student give me a high five and welcome me to the Big Ol' Booty Club! She is SO funny! (And right. I am rather blessed in that area.)

4. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 17, 2012

I love it when alumni send me messages on Facebook or in person telling me that their college classes are easier because of what they learned in my class...or when current seniors ask me for advice about college or life.

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 17, 2012

I love when they are sad because I have to miss a day of school. I love when I come back and they are all smiles just because I am there.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 17, 2012

Today while I was reading a story to my class at the carpet, I felt someone in the front row stroking my foot. She was inspecting the straps on my sandals. I guess they'd been in her face all day and she finally couldn't handle the temptation.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 17, 2012

I love the energy my students feed me during lessons. Makes all that preparation and planning worth it!

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 17, 2012

Just one thing?
    I love the innocent things my 5th graders say when they are trying to be all "tough". Oh, and the hugs and high fives! (lately, it has been knuckle bumps!)
    **at state testing time, one boy asked me "you are gonna hug us before the test,right Mrs. Knitter? I saw you do that last year to your class." instant heartmelt!

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 17, 2012

I'm with knitter- I can only pick one thing? Then I will pick the one thing from today:

In what other profession would a 2 foot long branch of leaves ripped from a bush (accompanied by a sweaty fistful of picked leaves) be presented to you with complete pride and adoration? I doubt businessmen have little girls light up when they see them put their little presents in a pretty vase in a spot of honor on their desks!

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 18, 2012

It's the kids. They - particularly the seniors - start to get wistful this time of year about things breaking up soon, and they get more affectionate and appreciative (when they're not enjoying their little interludes of madness). I love my subject matter, but it's the kids that keep me coming back.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

I agree. The transition mine are making is from elementary school (grade 8) to high school, but it makes some of them yearn to stay. I start to hear, "Can't we stay here with you, MrsC?" and "Can you come to high school with us?". I'm glad that they feel secure and stable with me.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

It's all about the kids. It's not the material (though I love teaching math) or the vacations or the fresh start or the hours. It's about this amazing opportunity I have to touch the lives of these wonderful kids and see them grow.

13. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 18, 2012

I agree with all of the above!!

Ok, this is another reason....When we are having a bad day, we can shut the door and just have a read aloud and relax. Not too many people can do that in their jobs!

14. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 18, 2012

just everything about the kids....and how every day is different.

15. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

I love the random hugs I get from kids throughout the entire day. I can never get too many of those!

16. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 1, 2012

Yeah, the students are pretty amazing.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2012

I love almost all of it dealing with the children. I love their honesty, their enthusiasm, their humanity and their tenacity. And to be honest I love how they need me and love me back.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2012

It's hard to pick just one thing! I love the hugs, pictures, and little notes from them all year. I love the look on their face when they've struggled so hard with something and suddenly it makes sense. I love their excitement when they realize they've met a goal they never thought they would. I love the pride on their face when they do well and the determination when they realize their effort causes success. I love my job. :)

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 1, 2012

Graduation is on Sunday. It's often the first time I can actually put a face to these young minds and voices. I bring a list of all my students and say to myself, "These are my kids. I had a hand in getting them across that stage with a diploma." When they realize who I am, the hugs and thanks I get make the physical distance of the rest of the school year vanish. It makes me know I'm doing the right thing in the right way for these kids who need me.