Why I do what I do

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by oneteacher, Aug 28, 2016.

1. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2016

I have a student this year who was a bit challenging for his teacher last year. He was constantly getting into trouble with his teacher (4th grade). We are 3 days into our school year now and it was pretty obvious on the first day he didn't want to be there. However, I tried really hard to involve him in the classroom and let him know I was glad he was there (without coming out and saying that exactly). I asked him to do things for me and went out of my way to talk to him. We also did some fun hands on science because I Love that sort of thing. Anyway, his grandma approached me today (she is a neighbor) and told me that when she picked him up on Friday he told her, "I had the best day ever in school today." She couldn't believe he was the same kid she had to force to go to school that morning. It was something I needed to hear today.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 29, 2016

What a great success story so early in the year!

We always did transition meetings, where the previous teacher met with the incoming teacher to share info about each student. I always took the behaviour comments with a grain of salt, because a different teacher and environment can make a big difference!

Obadiah and oneteacher like this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 29, 2016

I LOVE when those moments happen!

oneteacher likes this.
  5. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2016

So true!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2016

A heartwarming way to start your year! Good for you for preventing problems.

oneteacher likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 30, 2016

I'm convinced that the Otis Spoffards in our classrooms are not just kids trying to misbehave. All kids make mistakes and all kids get into mischief (and so do adults at times). Otis's misbehaviors are just more noticeable or occur at inconvenient times for the teacher. It sounds like you are off to a great start and your little Otis is fortunate to have you as his teacher!

oneteacher likes this.
  8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 31, 2016

I'm so glad that you gave him a chance! That's one of the drawbacks of moving up with these kids this year. I know them already, but I've tried very hard not to have any preconceived ideas based on our year last year.

9. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Sep 1, 2016

It's crazy how sometimes one positive comment/note/letter/etc. from a student can turn your whole day around! Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to read about these moments.

bella84 likes this.