Why highschool?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Apr 10, 2012.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Apr 10, 2012

To those who are teaching high school, why did you choose to teach high school instead of elementary, middle school, or college?
    I'm just curious, because my mom used to be a substitute teacher and she said she didn't like teaching high school because there's too much responsibility and the students can get very rude, it's just too stressful. So she decided to teach adults instead(she's been an ESOL teacher for over 20 years now and loves her job)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

Lots of reasons.

I love the age group. I can deal with my kids on a different level from someone teaching middle or elementary school. I can speak kid around with them, and trust that they'll know when enough is enough-- and they very rarely disappoint me. I can go off on a tangent every once in a while, knowing that it's not hard to reel them back in. If I do have to be serious, I know that they'll understand the importance of what I'm saying.

And then there's the material. I did teach 7th grade math for a year. The kids were great, but the material KILLED me. It took all my creativity to make it interesting enough. But give me a real good math course-- preferably at least Geometry-- and I can really dig in and enjoy the material.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2012

My reasons are much the same as Alice's. With seniors, I can have a higher level of conversation about the literature we read, and I enjoy the curriculum (Brit lit) much more. I also enjoy being a part of a very exciting time in their lives as they prepare to go off to college.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 10, 2012

Besides preferring the material and the older age group, the job market is much better for secondary math than elementary school.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 10, 2012

I've done elementary, middle, high and college (both university and community college).

I LOVE high school seniors. I am meant to be an upper secondary teacher. All of the reasons Alice and Mrs. K wrote, especially the part of being a part of the exciting times for the next part of their life.

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 11, 2012

Yep, high school kids are fascinating, and they are capable enough that one finds intellectual satisfaction in teaching them.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2012

I taught one year of high school and now have elementary and middle school kids. I prefer older kids because I can play around with them more. I'm sarcastic and like to make jokes that are usually lost on little kids. (one of my favorites: *kid singing a song* me: "Hey who sings that song?" kid: "so-and-so" me: "So let them sing it" ooooh! ;)) I'm also not a touchy-feely person and little kids always want to give me hugs. I don't like it. I also don't like "cute" things. I'm basically a 24 year old curmudgeon.

And finally, I feel that I don't have the patience for little kids. I can't believe we can only get 3 things done in 80 minutes. Maybe I'm doing things wrong, which could very well be true, but it frustrates me that we can't move faster.

I can tell a difference in my enthusiasm when I have the older kids. I'm more excited about the material and about their "maturity" level. They're fun!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2012

Well first of all, as much as I (sometimes) love teaching, my primary interest was literature and language arts, specifically.

Secondly, I had the opposite experience as your mom when subbing that confirmed my decision - the classroom was a zoo, and I couldn't stand things like "He said 'stupid!'" or cleaning up after a kid glued his hands to his desk or dealing with pee and barf. Never in 10 years of teaching have I ever had a student not make it out of the room before barfing - that's a good enough reason for me. lol.

10. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Apr 11, 2012

I've subbed and taught for all grade levels.

I taught high schoolers for the first half of the school year. Even though they could often be very intimidating to me, I loved that they had real lives and personalities. It can be difficult to take a younger kid out of the developmental box... so and so is just being 8, but the older kids are much more developed. They also got my sarcasm... the little kids just don't get it. :) And I TOTALLY agree, they can be rude and annoying, but remember that they have more ways of expressing themselves than the younger kids. The annoying usually fades away once you get to know them. :)

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 11, 2012

I chose high school because I don't work well with young children.

I also had no interest in teaching anything other than English, and I really wanted to focus on my content. I taught two years of high school English, and I loved it. I did not find the students to be rude.

I have been a substitute teacher, and I was never more stressed out than the days I worked in elementary schools. I hated it.

Now I teach middle school, and I still like it. I'm teaching one subject, and the kids are a mess . . . but I love them.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 11, 2012

In my very first education course, the professor said, "If you don't think you can go to school 180 days in a good mood, DON'T go into elementary education because the kids won't understand."

I knew then that high school was the atmosphere for me!

:2up:

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2012

I love the age group. I think teenagers are a lot of fun! I'm not sure if I would have to patience to teach elementary school. I actually was planning on teaching elementary special education before I realized that I wanted to teach high school.

I also love the material I teach!