Why Good Teachers Go Bad

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherman1, Mar 22, 2013.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 22, 2013

I've been asked to "cool it" with my posts about dyslexia and to stop "self-promoting",
    so here's something we, as teachers, can all relate to: Parent Teacher Conferences

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 22, 2013

That was actually quite brillant. I am sure some people might get hung up b/c there were like 3 swear words but honestly, some parents will push you to that point!

I absolutely love when parents threaten to take their child out of our school because it is always a child that causes us a lot of grief (ie: like the boy who attacked me twice) so I'm like, Please take ur precious angel! I'm sure ur the next school won't have ANY of the problems we have here. (I don't literally say that but I have told a parent "If you feel there is a better place for your child, I won't stop you) then the parent gets a blown look on their face or they get huffy and the next day and rest of the year, their child is right there, in my class.

To be honest I don't know why parents even bother w/that...we are an overcrowded, public school. For every child we lose there's another student (or 2 or 3) waiting to transfer into that grade level.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 22, 2013

I can't say that I find this person to be a good teacher at all.

5. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Mar 22, 2013

I thought this was hilarious and so true.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 22, 2013

I agree, but we all know that this is a joke. No teacher would actually speak like that to a parent (no matter she was thinking).

Originally I was supposed to teach High School after college, but after a few parent/teacher interviews like this, I decided to go into the private sector.

After 20+ years I went back to be re-certified in elementary ed. It was the best thing I ever did. At least with the little ones, you rarely come up against parents like these.

Steve

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2013

You may be very, very surprised.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 22, 2013

I had a similar parent of an 8 year old. He's no longer in my class and I think I did a modified version of that "happy dance" from the video when he was moved!

9. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Mar 22, 2013

I love this video! Oh, there are so many things I have wanted to say to a few parents, but I want to keep my job. :D When a parent "threatens" me with transferring her child, I advise her to visit the office to find out what documentation she needs to provide so they can issue the transfer. For some odd reason, always to my great disappointment, it never happens! Never! :(

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 23, 2013

OMG, I know! Why is that? What is it that they are expecting? That we're going to beg them to let the child stay? The ONLY way I could see that happening is if it was a child that was getting a lot of support from the school due to a disability or an extenuating circumstance

(ie: we had a little girl with autism who it took almost 4 months for her to speak. She was making a lot of progress...then Mom's experienced a personal tragedy and they had to move. Our school was willing to make an exception to keep the child with us, but Mom refused saying it was too far even though the bus would have driven the girl to and fro.)

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2013

Love it.