Why don't we have something like this in America?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JWills23, Apr 7, 2014.

1. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 7, 2014

In the UK and Canada there are awesome military themed youth groups like the army and air cadets. In the UK and Canada cadets are considered a legitimate youth activity and hobby. Why aren't such programs widespread in the US? Are American parents biased and prefer to have their children involved in athletics? Would American parents become angry if a cadet program was established in their community? I talked to my neighbor who has a son in high school who is heavily invested in athletics and he said he wouldn't let his son join a program like the cadets.The training and opportunities of the cadets looks exciting and intense! I can say that being in a program like the cadets beats the heck out of the scouts! I wanted something more intense than the scouts! I wished I had something like this when I was in school! It sure beats the heck out of kicking a ball during your high school years! Ender's Game was my favorite book and obviously it fostered my desire to participate in a youth pre military training program.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2014

Doesn't your area have ROTC?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 8, 2014

We have quite a few schools here that offer ROTC programs.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 8, 2014

Our school has a very strong JROTC program. I'd say that almost 1/4 of our students participate in it. The class counts as your PE credits and health credit if you do it for two years. Many do it all four years. They do contests and camping and all kinds of neat stuff. I don't think there is a need for cadet programs in the community because the schools are meeting those needs in most areas. Also, "military" or "cadet" programs in the US that are not associated with ROTC often have the connotation of being for troubled youth or juvenile delinquents.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2014

Interesting first post.

Besides ROTC, kids can join the Civil Air Patrol. I'm sure there are other military-type programs out there. I don't know where you've been getting your information, OP, but you might want to do a little more research.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 8, 2014

We do have Young Marines, which is not for troubled youth. It is actually a very well put together program for youth.

8. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 8, 2014

We need cadet programs in the community because some school district administrations are biased against the military and have stopped JROTC units from being established. I see cadet programs as one way to bridge the civil military divide. There is also another problem. JROTC is costly. Why hasn't the military come up with cheaper alternatives? The Civil Air Patrol has developed the school cadet program. The program can be conducted either during school or after school. I hope that the Young Marines and Sea Cadets develop similar programs.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2014

Every high school in my district had JROTC as a class. Some were Army some were Air Force. Lots of my friends took it as an elective.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 8, 2014

I've literally never heard of a school blocking JROTC. Ever.

11. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 8, 2014

Well San Francisco almost got rid of their program but the cadets were able to fight back. I guess it has to do with the culture in some regions. It is no surprise the some portions of the population do not hold the armed services to a very high regard. I think it is sad that some prejudices exist.

12. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 8, 2014

Isn't the Air Force the most educated military branch? I have heard there are a lot of jobs in the USAF that require a bachelor's degree.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2014

The military has been facing huge budget cuts. Youth/cadet programs just aren't the most high priority places to spend dwindling dollars.

14. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 16, 2014

One more reason we need cadet programs in the community is because JROTC is absent from our nation's private schools. How do we get rid of the stereotype that JROTC is for troubled youth? My high school's JROTC program sent several people to the Air Force Academy and one cadet went to Dartmouth. A good percentage of JROTC cadets I know are involved in AP classes.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2014

I've never heard of JROTC programs having a reputation of being for troubled youth. I've heard of military school having a reputation for being for troubled youth. Perhaps that's what the previous poster meant.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 16, 2014

I believe MissCelia said programs NOT associated with ROTC.

I think a good way to stop negative feelings about such programs would be to not use words like biased, angry, and stereotype, and by not saying that one branch of the military is "more educated" than others. :2cents:

17. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 16, 2014

I don't believe that stereotype anymore. I was told by one of my teachers that intelligent people join that particular branch. I also told by several students and even one of the faculty that people with questionable intelligence join the armed services.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 16, 2014

And so perpetuating that rumor by posting it online is NOT recommended...

19. JWills23

JWills23 Guest

Apr 16, 2014

Well the Civil Air Patrol is not associated with ROTC and it is definitely not for troubled youth. Ten percent of Air Force Academy cadets were CAP cadets. The Sea Cadets and Young Marines are great programs too.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2014

I really don't see anyone here arguing against these sorts of programs, but it seems like you're pretty defensive anyway. I'm not understanding that.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 16, 2014

Costly for whom? As a parent I've paid a small ($15) fee for the uniform. I'll get that back when my son returns his uniform at the end of the year. Other then that anything I've paid for has been extra, such as transportation costs to meets. Maybe I paid something when he went to camp.

22. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Apr 16, 2014

There is a charter school near me where every student is required to be in JR ROTC. However, it is seen as a school for troubled/poor youth, despite its success. Yes, I think there is a bias against it from wealthier/liberal people. The military is not seen as a good career option for young people. The stereotype is that people who are in the military are there because they were not smart enough for college. However, this school does not even encourage students to join up until they have finished college, so I don't see what the deal is. The local district tried to block this school's creation due to the military theme, but the state had to approve it ultimately. Then, a bunch of random protestors tried to chain themselves to the construction site. How ironic that liberal yuppies (I myself am a liberal yuppy, so I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way), tried to block the formation of a school that has had really amazing results for a population of students that is overwhelmingly disadvantaged.

23. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 16, 2014

Random, but why does the OP's post count still say 0 when he's made like 10 posts?

My school is famous for its NJROTC program. It def does NOT have the stereotype of being for troubled youth- it's a BFD to be accepted into certain parts of the program and these kids get millions in scholarships.

Why are you so freaked out about this? Last I checked, the military wasn't short on people trying to join up.

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2014

Unfortunately it's blocked at my school complex. It's quite successful at one of our neighboring schools. I wish we could have it too, lots of the kids would participate.

(Maybe blocked is too strong a word ... Our campus chooses not to have ROTC because of a majority opinion against it.)

We do have police cadets and fire cadets programs in our community, but because they are not school-based, many of the kids who would benefit just don't have the motivation to pursue off campus programs.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2014

I think that posts made in the Teacher Time Out area don't count towards the post count.

26. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 17, 2014

All of the high schools in our area have JROTC programs, and all are seemingly active and successful in both urban and suburban areas.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2014

from a VERY funny movie:

Benjamin B. Whitledge: You ever had R.O.T.C.?
    Will Stockdale: No... , but Irvin did! Close to a year of it. He's so 'ornary I think he still might have a touch of it.
    Benjamin B. Whitledge: No, Will. R.O.T.C. ain't a disease, it's trainin'... Reserve, Officer's, Training... ,uh... Corporation!