Why don't we all just go???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

:mad::soapbox: I mean why even have school??????????? I just had a parent leave after calling an "urgent" meeting with me. (His 5th "urgent" meeting this year.) He was letting me know that 1 week before school is out his darling daughter will miss a week. Not for a medical issue, not for a family issue, but for a frazzing vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) When I explained why that was literally the worst week of the year for her to miss ; he said that that was really when they wanted to go. She will miss our play which she has a part in, she will miss the last week of taking tests (our grades are to be turned in that Friday), and she already has 13 days missed. She will miss our end of the year AR parties (which he will expect me to allow her to make up the last week of school.) Excuse me while I go find a mountain of chocolate somewhere! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

At his last meeting he told me that he expected me to allow her to make up two tests that she failed. He said it was his fault she failed because he was at the doctor with his older daughter (headaches) and wasn't home to make her study. I explained that it was her job, not his, to make sure the studying took place. He was not a happy camper, and she didn't make up the tests.

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

Oh, I love those parents. Their children will never learn accountability, because parent will say it wasn't child's fault. I guess three months off in the summer isn't enough to plan a vacation. Freakin Frackin....:mad:

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 15, 2008

Are you saying that all AtoZ members get to go on this family's "frazzing vacation"?
    I haven't been on a good vacation trip in a while!
    Where are we going??? :rofl::rofl::toofunny::toofunny:

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 15, 2008

My mom was one of those parents...taking us out of school a week early for summer...lol

Being on the other side...I know how frustrating it is. :(

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

Didn't this dad get a calendar at the beginning of the year that told him the dates that school was getting out??

I've had a couple of parents like this.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

I'm leaving their little wagon train and heading off on my own. I want to go somewhere where they don't know my name, my job, or my family! I want yummy drinks in cute little coconuts served by cuter little cabana boys. Anyone wanna go?

Scienceteach, I know sometimes it can't be helped, but if it had been the week before that or even the very last week of school it would have been better. His attitude was part of it. He wasn't asking, he wasn't apologetic, he was demanding and rude. I don't do well with demanding and rude. :whistle:

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 15, 2008

Nor do we get paid enough to deal with it! I've had several parents, and most of my students act that way. It amuses me sometimes. Stupid people. :p

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

You know, I'd be one thing if that was honestly the only time to take their vacation. Some jobs give you certain weeks off, and you don't have a choice in the matter. BUT...he says this is when he'd LIKE to take their vacation. That gives him away. Sorry you have to deal with such an idiot Christy. Those types of parents irk me, and I don't even have to deal with them anymore! Haha! I feel irritated for you.

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

Exactly!

Or how about a parent doing their child's homework. What kind of lesson is that sending to the kid? (We had a mom doing that a couple weeks ago.)

12. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2008

Count me in!

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 15, 2008

Urggh! It makes me mad just thinking about it. Does he expect you to give her the tests before she leaves?! I guess you can give here a 0 on all of them.

Have you talked to your principal about this situation (or will that make it worse)?

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

Actually that's what he wanted - me to give her everything the week before. I explained how much work that would entail on my part and then went on to explain how much trouble his daughter was already having staying on track and that doubling up would just ensure a failure for her. My principal is the one that reminded me I didn't have to let her make up any of it without a doctor's excuse. Sometimes I wish I was a person who could do that. It's what the parents deserve.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  15. KDS

KDS Companion

Apr 15, 2008

at least it sounds like your principal is sort of behind you! HURRAH! sucks when they arent!

if we are going with cute little drinks...lets not fly American! i know its cliche, but i lost my luggage for an ENTIRE trip to LA!

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 15, 2008

We had an option in our grade book to "omit" assignments. This allowed them to miss something and not have it counted for or against them. In this situation if that were to occur, her grade would stay as is and she wouldn't have the opportunity to improve it with a test...hope she's done her homework!! Is that an option?

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 15, 2008

I need a vacation with cute cabana boys serving drinks as well. I just about hit the roof today. We have an early dismissal tomorrow and next week will be absolutely worthless for teaching anything. My class has a field trip one afternoon, the whole school is going to a baseball game the next day, and another day we have a track meet with another school. It's close to the end of the year and I'm in panic mode trying to get everything done. We have 26 days of school (counting the three above worthless days) in which to cover slavery, the Civil War, plant kingdom (i'm skimming through this), ecosystems, at least on lesson on simple machines, finish a poetry unit, and on and on.

So at 2:55 today is is announced that tomorrow will be............................................ wait for it.............................. KAREOKE DAY!!!! I just wanted to scream. This was the first any of the teachers had heard about it-NOBODY was thrilled about this (understatement of the year), and the pastor's assisstant acted all put out because we weren't all happy and excited. Add to that the lunch schedule has been completely ruined, the principal has no idea this is coming, and no one has any idea what is is supposed to happen when....I feel your pain. Not rude parents, but just as bad.

18. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 15, 2008

My sister is one of those parents! It drives me completely batty!!!! She extends Thanksgiving for the full week, she takes the week before Christmas break off too. And she'll plan a trip during school!!! She thinks that because her daughter is doing well, it's ok.

And I have a comment about the dad wanting the daughter to take the tests early, and YOU said that YOU thought she was struggling already and that doubling up now would lead to failure....um....HE should be the one caring about that! He seems to ONLY care about his vaca, and not so much about his child, grades or making a good example for her.

As a parent who plays by the rules, I feel that this child should have to either get zeros for work missed, or take it early, but she shouldn't get off w/o doing the work just because her dad is an imbosel.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 15, 2008

Grrr...I would be fjurious also. I had a student tell me in Feb that he was going to miss a MONTH of school, starting mid March. He was going to "help out" with family in Washington or somewhere. This is an 8th grader who is reading on a 2nd grade level. This would not be the first time his parents pulled him out of school for an extended trip. When he was in sixth with me, they left at Christmas and came back in April. They had the nerve to come and ask me if I could get assignments together for him. FOR FOUR MONTHS!!!! I was so mad, I very snarkily handed them a list of the standards and a pile of textbooks. THEN, the next day I found the books outside my room with a note that said they found a set of MADLIBS in the bookfair and were just going to do that. FOR FOUR MONTHS!!!

Didn't there used to be laws against this? What happened to truancy officers?

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 16, 2008

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 16, 2008

Oh I love this one. To me it says that we can't take care of all our kids at one time. If we have one special needs student then we give them our undying devotion and ignore the rest of the kids.

Please. Come visit my classroom for a day and you'll see that's not true.

22. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 16, 2008

Just because someone mentioned truency officers......Policy where I am is that after 15 consecutive (they MUST me in a row) days absent they are dropped from the system and listed as a "W8" which apparantly means not enrolled in ANY school and the officers can go out to their house. I have/had one in my room this year....not sure what's come of it yet.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 16, 2008

Here's another favorite. I think my blood's beginning to boil.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2008

I don't understand the reasoning of certain parents! If I was a parent, unless something was a major emergency or they were sick, my child wouldn't miss any school.
    When I was still in school, from pre-school to 8th grade, I pretty much had perfect attendance except for a few things. And I DID have perfect attendance all 4 yrs of HS. I was never late to school EVER either. Promptness & attendance are very important to me & my family.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 16, 2008

26. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 16, 2008

Take consolation from someone's who's been in this business forever... you'll always have a parent like this at least every other year, there's not much at all you can do about it. Just tell yourself, "Ok, this parent is teaching his child to be irresponsible, hum.... when she's 16, gets knocked up, or drops out of school, or the cops hand-cuff her, or she moves back home when she's 20 w/2 kids, you can say, "I tried to tell you so...." It might take a long time for justice to prevail, but it always does. It's just so much easier to do what's right. Parents are the biggest obstacle for their children. Wipe your hands of this parent and focus and what your kids learned today!!! Be happy!

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 17, 2008

Nice post, LA Teacher! I posted on there as well, quite a while ago...can you guess who I am? It's towards the end...maybe around Sept 20...and I was feeling very sarcastic that evening... ;)

28. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2008

I am fine w/ the kid missing a week (I guess) if they have no other choice. I know of parents who plan trips during state testing, and keep their kids out of that. Blech!

I am not fine w/ parents who expect you to bend over backwards to make things easier for them. Do they not realize you have other students to worry about???

I would have them take the tests early, but as far as the other "fun" stuff- tough. They should have been there the day of. Period!

29. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Apr 21, 2008

I also hate when parents come to collect their child early - maybe a half hour. And why? ... I have had a tiring day (with the two kids at school) and I just want to go home.

Well, I have had a tiring day with 20 kids in the room - can I go home early???????????

( Think I actually said something along those lines - oops! - at least I gave it a humourous bent.)

(PLUS - I didnt yet have time to run all the errands she did during the day. I still have to do them before I go home - outside school hours!!!)

30. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

I had a student last year that mom would pick her child up 1 hour before school let out everyday! The school changed policy because of her. If she continued to pick up her child that early the 2nd semester it was counted as a 1/2 day absence.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2008

What policies does your school enforce for lateness and absences?