Why don't teachers just stay as substitute teachers instead of working full-time?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Gohan3050, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Gohan3050

Gohan3050 New Member

Sep 17, 2014

...for the same $.

Where I work, substitute teachers make great money. Practically on par with full-time. Recently, my days (as a sub) have become hilariously easy-going after I bought a portable projector/screen/speakers to bring to my classes. I have games, and extra work that I bring. A full case of things.

And it just hit me: "Why do teachers even bother going for full-time?". It hit me mostly after meeting 2-3 subs who actually left full-time teaching for permanent sub positions.

-Full-Time Teacher-
    Salary: 60,000
    Responsibilities: marking, parents, lesson planning, disgruntled staff, in-school problems, and being responsible for your students' academic progression (and add about 100 more things to this list)

-Substitute Teacher-
    Salary: 55,000-60,000 (I teach multiple subjects, so I can get 4-5 days a week easily).
    - Responsibilities: ... make sure the kids are ok by the end of the day.

Same $, for maybe 5% of the work and stress? (+ includes full-benefits here). Why would anyone choose full-time over this?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 17, 2014

I'm sorry, your subs make $60k a year and have full benefits? Where?

Here, they make $120 a day with no benefits. That's why we go full-time.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

...New teachers in your district make $60k a year and have full benefits? Where?

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 17, 2014

I like running my own class.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

In order to make $55,000 per year, you would have to work all 180 days of school, which is unlikely, and make $305 per day. Plus benefits.

Sign me up.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 17, 2014

In my district, subs make $100 a day. So, even if they worked all 180 days, they'd max out at 18,000 - no benefits.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2014

As my students would say, OP, "you's a lie." :cool:

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 17, 2014

:thumb:

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

Yeah, I don't believe that.
    In most parts of California that I know of, subs make $95-125 / day (some maybe more or less) and teacher about $200-300 / day (depending on experience and education).

I find it impossible that any school district would pay $50 000 for subs.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 17, 2014

The starting salary here on LI for many districts is $55,000, but the COL is also very high. Subs definitely don't make that much here.

12. Gohan3050

Gohan3050 New Member

Sep 17, 2014

Hi everyone. Thanks for your answers.

I think some of you indadvertedly answered my question. And I realized that I might be in one of the few school boards in N. America (or in the world) to do this.

I make $214.46 a day (- deductions) (and it's not in the US). It's insanely competitive to get into my school board, so I can see how our salaries are inflated. I just calculated the salary to roughly 40-43 K a year. Full benefits. For maybe (if even) 5% of the work of a full-timer? It's a no brainer. I don't even need a car to get to any schools in my city.

Thanks for your help guys.

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 17, 2014

The sub pay in our district is a first year teacher's salary divided by the number of school days.

So, it is possible for a sub in our district to make a first year teacher's salary *if* they work every day of the year. It wouldn't be $60 000, but it wouldn't be far off, either.

My SO bounces between short term contracts (like he's on right now) and subbing. The reason he wants to go full time? Knowing he has a job to go to every morning. Often he is booked in advance, but on the days he isn't, he hates getting up at 5 am to watch Aesop like a hawk, hoping to jump on a job as soon as it's posted.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 17, 2014

They pay $75 a day here. There are a few subs that this is much more than they are worth and even more subs that this pay is quite insulting.

I wouldn't sub for that.

15. bora

bora Rookie

Sep 17, 2014

Wow! I work for $75-85 a day with no benefits.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2014

I'm a full time teacher and I make less than half of what you claim these subs are making. If I were subbing, I'd be making less than a quarter of that (without benefits).

Guess I'm in the wrong state! :lol:

17. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 17, 2014

Ugh, in this part of NY teachers do okay, especially after a few years, but subs make $85-$95 a day depending on the district. In some places I get a $5 bump after serving for 30 days. So yeah.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 17, 2014

Yes, in NC I make 33,000/year.

If I could make as much as 30K as a sub, I'd do it. Heck I'd probably do it for 27K. But the fact of the matter is, subs here can only work 2-3 days per week (I'd actually be okay with that :) ) but only for about 100 a day.

Hmmmm...maybe I should change to subbing. I wonder if being a sub would still allow me to do the loan forgiveness plan?

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

I made more per day than teacher ASSISTANTS made when I subbed. But I received no benefits. Which was pretty insulting for the assistants.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2014

Well, subs where I am at get horrible pay. Then add no benefits. Also, add that if you are sick or they don't need you as a sub, you don't get paid at all. Overall, the financial is a huge reason.

In addition, I love being a teacher, I didn't enjoy subbing very much. Subs don't get to run the classroom and often teachers leave them with boring worksheets and textbook assignments to do. As a regular teacher, I can plan innovative lessons that make a difference and make learning and teaching fun.

To make $55,000/year, one would have to sub all 180 days and make over $305/day. Subs don't make even 1/2 of that here. Also, who wants a sub on the first day of school? There will be several days each year it will be tough to get work.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2014

I made $78/day as a sub. For my long-term, on day 21 I was bumped to $182. That equaled about my NC net pay, but without benefits.

When I subbed in 2006-2007, I made $85 a day. I would sub for a para and make more than the person I was subbing for makes. Whether or not paras get benefits here depends on the district. Only a few districts still give them benefits.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2014

Same for us.

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2014

The absolute most you can make as a sub in my area is about 15,000 a year and there are no benefits. A first year teacher will make around 35-38,000 with full benefits of course. Besides the pay, I think subbing would stress me out even more than teaching, with so many days where you don't even know the night before if you're working the next day or where you'll be going, what the class will be like, if there are decent/any plans left for you, where things in the building are, etc. Plus kids usually behave horribly for subs knowing that subs don't have any real authority over them. It sounds horrible to me. I am eternally grateful that I was able to find a full time job right out of college and never had to sub.

24. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 17, 2014

This. Aside from lower pay, being a sub puts you at the whim of another person. You aren't in charge. It's not YOUR classroom. I think being a teacher is so much more rewarding and fulfilling, because you really belong in the classroom and the kids/parents see you as an important part of their lives. This is just the way I've felt as both a sub and a teacher.

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 17, 2014

I didn't go into teaching for the great salary. "Making kids are ok at the end of the day" wouldn't be rewarding to me. I LIKE teaching.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

Sub pay in my district was $90 for the past 10 years. This year, however, they bumped the pay up to $110. Districts in my area have recently raised the daily rate due to a small pool of subs (we are all competing for the same people)!

I am pretty certain that I'll be subbing this year due to subs not picking up open jobs or cancelling a job at the last minute. I really don't mind taking over a teacher's class for the day (it puts me in a good mood when I'm back in the classroom); however, I end up having to come in on the weekend to play catch up.

Anyway, I've never heard of subs getting health benefits nor have I met anyone who's made more than 20k/year as a sub.

27. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

I've never subbed but know of a few districts that pay a bit less than $200 a day. No benefits though. But OP, I think the pay might even out between the two if you calculate pay per hour. Like you said, teachers do a lot of extra work. I was at school for nearly 12 hours today.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 17, 2014

I have only subbed a few days in my life, and I absolutely hated it. It's very stressful to me. I can't stand the uncertainty.

I *love* teaching. The relationships with kids, being able to come up with innovative and creative teaching ideas...I love it. I wouldn't get to do most of the things I love about teaching if I subbed full time.

Also, subs don't make NEARLY that much here, and definitely no benefits.

I don't think so.

29. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Sep 17, 2014

If I were to sub EVERY DAY of the school year, I would make a little over 10,000 dollars a year. That's why I hope not to stay a sub forever. :lol:

30. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 18, 2014

Ha! Best post of the night!

31. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 18, 2014

I would be miserable and poor. That's why.

32. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 18, 2014

I subbed for $70/day, no benefits. It was a nightmare.
    Thank God I found a teaching job.

33. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 19, 2014

Job security is one reason why I went full-time. After two years we get tenure and you can just put your feet up all day and they can't fire you (not that I would, but just saying). Subs can be told to not return for no reason in particular.

34. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 20, 2014

Yeah...if I work every single school day for my district, the most I can make is $22,000 a year before taxes with no benefits. Not sure where you are, OP, but it sure isn't SoCal! :lol:

I sub right now because I don't have credentials to teach. Once I'm credentialed, there is NO WAY I would go back to subbing (assuming I can find a teaching job). The pay is MUCH better, you know what you're getting into every day, and you can build connections with your own students in your own classroom. I'd take that over subbing any day.

35. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2014

There are a few states, Kansas, I think, where you have to be a credentialed teacher to sub. It seems like the rate of pay is considerably higher than here in NJ, but I am pretty sure that no benefits are available. The years that I subbed were the years that fueled the desire to teach full time, so I don't regret a single day. However, even though I worked about 160 out of 180 days each year, the best thing about subbing was being off when my son was off, and being in the know about what was going on in the various districts. I was so ready to be a full-time teacher, with all that the responsibility entails. Yes, I spend more time doing everything, but I truly love to teach. I love the challenge, the students, and the excitement of continuing education. I would stagnate as a permanent sub, but the challenge of learning and creating exciting lessons about cutting edge topics makes me jump out of bed each day, even though sometimes I am dragging a little on the return trip home!

36. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 20, 2014

This is my 7th year teaching, and bring home $1,115 two times per month after taxes, insurance, etc. Our subs make $140/day. If they were to sub every day that would be about the same take-home pay that I get. However, they do not have any insurance or benefits.

As frustrating as it is to spend so much of my own time (not paid) planning each week, the planning part is a huge piece of being a teacher. When you're a sub, you don't get to plan your own lessons. I love researching and implementing new ideas in my classroom, just as much as I love actually teaching.