Why don't principals email back??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by inspireNteach, Jul 11, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I don't get it :confused:
    It would be great to at least be told, "You don't meet our criteria," or "We already filled the position," or something. But, for some reason, no one is responding.
    In general, what do you think prompts a principal to respond to job seeker email?

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jul 11, 2013

Here on Long Island, a job posting can get up to around 800 applicants. Think about how many emails you get in a work day. Think about all the responsibilities of a school principal; the paperwork, the red tape, their role in the school.

It would likely be a full time job to respond to every applicant who contacts a principal. Even if just a percentage of those applicants email the principal, it is still a good chunk of time.

I know it's frustrating for those of us on this side of the fence, but the reality is that it's not exactly realistic for them to respond to everyone.

I've had principals respond to my emails before, but those who did respond were only a handful of the principals I emailed. I think it's probably a combination of how busy they are/their personality/if they consider you a desirable candidate. If they are truly impressed with you, I think it's more likely that they'll shoot you an email telling you that they are sorry that there aren't any vacancies right now, or that they filled the position, but they will keep your resume on file, etc.

4. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I'm new at the interview process but I've been teaching for 2 years. I think that Principals get overwhelmed with follow up emails especially if they have done a ton of interviews. I have gotten more response by following an email with a phone call the next day.

5. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I think this is what it is. Maybe they aren't impressed with me :( I'm a career changer and don't have any direct experience in education. But I figured I could get a paraprofessional position, AT LEAST.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

If it has been more than a month, I figure it is filled.

For me...
    If they use Applitrack, I usually get a mass e-mailing.
    Some districts without Applitrack will send some generic emails, too. I've even gotten a few letters, which really surprises me. Those are usually from the rural schools that only had a few hundred applicants. The schools that are in the thousands usually use Applitrack so it is not an issue.

7. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Sounds like a good idea. At this point, I have nothing to lose. Though, I risk coming across as a bit overly aggressive or stalker-ish :unsure:

But I'll be positive...It's frustrating and a little disheartening, but I'll keep knocking on doors. Someone is bound to answer, right?

8. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I've emailed a TON of principals and only ONE responded. It was the only email I sent to a principal stating I would like to be considered for an interview. lol I was trying out the bolder personality in me. But hey, I got a response! lol

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2013

I guess it's one of those situations where they'll call you ONLY IF they are interested.

10. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Good luck. I was hired 2 years ago with no experience and no certification. So keep trying.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2013

I'm in Ga as well and it is brutal in my county. I've taught before, but left my private school job when it became very unstable financially. I've subbed in our county full time in the hopes of getting a foot in the door and like you have found even para jobs are hard to come by. I know in our county the para's now have been cut in half and many let go. Most teachers, outside of SpEd, have to share a para during the day between two classrooms. Our county is even trying to outsource para's to a third party company so they can be "contracted" and no longer have to pay them state benefits or retirement. :dizzy:

As for the response, I think they get overwhelmed. I do get upset when you do get an interview, sometimes even a second interview, and then the P can't be bothered to even email to let you know where you stand. That to me is so rude and unprofessional. I finally broke down and called one out on it recently. It was for a small, private school that I won't ever consider again after my interview experience so I didn't feel as if I burned any bridges. I wasn't ugly, but I did let her know that she did state more than once in my second interview that she would call on a certain day to let me know something no matter what the outcome. That day came and went...I waited all weekend and then I emailed her to follow up on a Monday. She did call me finally and acted as if she was surprised that I really expected her to call me. Sadly for many P's, I think it is a lack of respect for the time, and effort, we as candidates put in esp when multiple interviews are involved.

12. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

This is SUPER encouraging! Thanks for the well wishes!

13. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Yeah, I've been putting interview request in the subject line. I thought it good bait so the email doesn't go directly to Trash.

14. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I considered subbing, but I really can't since I have a part-time job right in the middle of the day. And I don't want to give that up until I have something full-time.

And contracted parapros?? Are you serious? :eek:

My plan is to get to work on my certification so I don't have to be in the parapro job for more than a couple years. Hopefully contracted parapros are much further down the road...

15. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jul 11, 2013

I was a career changer too, and right now I have a full time Teacher Assistant position. While TA positions in NYS do not require teacher certification, nearly every job posting that I see online for a TA tells you not to apply unless you are a certified TEACHER (not TA).

Think about it: the market is saturated, and you're competing with the thousands of newly certified teachers who cannot get their own classroom. Many (including myself) are willing to take a TA job just to get their foot in the door, stay in the school environment, work a relevant job, or get health insurance. TA jobs can be competitive in this market. Don't be discouraged, but don't view it as a sure thing.

If you feel like you're not competitive, use this board as a resource. Rewrite your resume/cover letter, post it here, ask for some feedback. These boards have a good amount of people willing to help, and are full of useful information. My resume and cover letter look nothing like they did when I graduated from my masters program.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2013

I know a few counties who are going this route, or who have already voted it in, but I am hoping it doesn't catch on. This year our custodial staff was voted to be contracted out via a third party. Many of them quit after years with the county. The BOE says next up is trying to vote in contracting out front office staff, nurses, and para's. C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!! I do know a few para spots opened up for MS and HS age around here.

17. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 11, 2013

I too have emailed quite a bit of principals, some even twice, and have only received two replies. I know they are busy and receive tons of emails each day, but still :( They were in our position once and one would hope they would be a bit more understanding and encouraging. They have a tough job though..so I can't fault them too much. It is possible that depending on the email you are using, they could be going straight to spam.

My subject heading is usually (even if there are no postings, I still like to email to get my name out there): Interviewing for Open Position - Resume Attached

18. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Soooo, the skies opened up and I got a little rain (maybe more like a few drops, :lol:) to water my little Job Search sapling!

I FIIIIINALLY got an email response from an principal today. Just a few hours after posting this thread. And I sent the email to the principal early this morning (I figure, the earlier I send the email, the better, before all they start thinking about the rest of their day) I was at my part time job when I got it, so I couldn't fully celebrate.

But, let me tell you, it feels soooo great to know that I am at least worthy to be responded back :)

The principal even said "unfortunately," like he was sorry he did not hear from me sooner. And he said, "good luck in your search." :cool:

19. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 12, 2013

That's good!! So now you have gotten your name out there even more..AND if you ever feel like sending emails again in the future, you can make it a follow up email just to see if there have been any changes and it may jog his memory.