Why Does everybody know how to teach except front line teachers?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2008

Why Does everybody know how to teach except front line teachers?

Why is it that we see very few front line teachers giving workshops?
    We see many used to be teachers. We see foundations. We see "think tanks" for education and College instructors.
    Most have not seen the inside of a elementary or secondary classroom for years OR only were in the classroom a short time?

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 17, 2008

Hmmm...interesting! My guess is only that maybe because most current teachers can't take the time off to teach a workshop? I dunno....

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2008

I went to a workshop last summer that had two current teachers conducting it. Of course, because it was during the summer, their schedules allowed for it.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

MOST OF THE WORKSHOPS I HAVE GONE TO ARE AS ABOVE.
    :mad::unsure:

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

I went to a grade level conference and a reading conference that both had teachers presenting the workshops. I continue to go to those because they have teachers presenting. What they contribute can be used in the classroom immediately. I have been to others that just weren't relevant because the presenters did not have current classroom knowledge.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

That is what I am findingg

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

I think it's like parenting. Every childless adult is a parenting expert until they get kids of their own. I'm guilty of that. Everyone is an education expert until they find themselves in the trenches dealing with 25 munchikns at different ability levels, different social levels, different challenges, language barriers, personalities, and find out the rules seem to change daily or even hourly (in the dealing with groups of munchkins and their ever changing moods and needs.)

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

But seriously, the best workshops I have been to were given by teachers recently out of the classroom. They are the ones who say "Here's what worked for me; take what you can or whatever you like and make it work for you. I don't care if you follow my examples to a T." I went to a spelling workshop last April that was lead by this gal.