Why do you teach?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Coltooonnn, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Coltooonnn

Coltooonnn Guest

Oct 20, 2015

I'm not actually a teacher, yet. I am currently a second year college student HIGHLY considering changing my major from Computational Mathematics to Mathematics for Secondary School Teachers. I have talked to some of my old high school teachers, but I want to hear some more input. I'm mostly wondering, why do you teach? What encourages you to continue to teach through all of the ups and downs in your career?

3. Mr.Me

Mr.Me Rookie

Oct 20, 2015

I went into the career because I liked to play music and thought it would be fun to pass along that knowledge. I have definitely grown as a teacher since graduating from college in 1994.
    I feel that the passion for what I do has deepened since I started teaching.
    I love to work with kids that like to try to make something. Yes, the kids that are naturals are fun to work with, but it is the kids that work their butts off to make it happen that really get me energized.
    Teaching has changed drastically since the first day I started teaching. If I were to be given the option to be a teacher now, I don't think I would take it. Just being honest.
    Good luck.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2015

Because I make a difference
    To inspire a love of learning
    Because every day is different
    Because the discoveries are joyful
    Ah ha moments
    Overcoming obstacles
    Because I'm really good at it
    Because my colleagues share my dedication and drive

Mr.Me likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 20, 2015

Because this is what I'm supposed to be doing. I tried working outside of education for a decade and was merely content. Now, I'm extremely satisfied with my career and love the challenge of each day, despite the occasional odd grumble.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2015

To drive a love of learning into kids, to help them be successful, and to show each of them that they have plenty to be confident in themselves with. The self-concept part is probably the area in which I am most deeply driven towards, given my own life path so far, and it's seemed to be very successful because of that heavy passion towards that part of the job. I can't imagine myself doing any other job as a career, even though I still don't feel fully confident in myself.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2015

I love spending my day with kids.
    I thrive on those "ah-ha" moments.
    I work with a wonderful staff.
    I love helping my students recognize that giving up is not an option and that they can do far more than they think they can.
    I learn and laugh every day.

Mr.Me and mathmagic like this.
  8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2015

Funny - my "on this day" for my Facebook this morning had a post similar to that:
    "
    When subbing, there are plenty of frustrating moments. It's amazing how even one (or many, like yesterday) student(s), finding and experiencing success, can overshadow all of those, though. So rewarding."

And that laughing and learning is so true, too! No matter how much stress pours on, it's hard to not have fun, or not learn something over the course of the day, even as the teacher! :)

9. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Oct 25, 2015

I don't think anyone said they teach for money - to make a living, to support their families, and for the summer vacations. Those were among the main reasons for me.
    But I have quit jobs where students learn very little from me as compared to schools where the students learn a lot. I like to teach where the whole class is like a think tank.