Why do you teach what you do?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by hp123, Mar 20, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Mar 20, 2010

I've been really exploring the reasons why I want to teach Middle school social studies.

The first reason is my love for history (social sciences). It is a huge part of my life and my famillies life. We travel, read and talk about history and politics. We've instilled this love in our daughter (who is now obsessed with maps). I've always viewed my love of history as a hobby.

I've always worked with children. After teaching in a private school for 10 years, have decided to go back to get my public school teaching credential. I love every age, but really enjoy the middle school age.

SO, my husband said to me.......why not get certified to teach what you love?

So, that is what I'm doing. I hope there is a job at the end of the tunnel! :)

3. think 2100

think 2100 Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

I'm fortunate to say that the reason is that I enjoy it.

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 23, 2010

Those seem like the best reasons to continue your pursuit of teaching middle school social studies. No other reason would come close to this passion of a subject.

Like your daughter, I am also fascinated by maps. I enjoy spending idle time absorbed in exploring a map.

Sadly, I am finding that quality maps are being eliminated from many classrooms in favor of electronically produced maps. It is not the same. Recently, I observed several of my students that sometimes have little interest in academics, spend time in front of a large wall map discussing and delighting on the contents.

You won't see that with a small map on a computer.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 23, 2010

I love all things English. I always thought grammar exercises were fun. I enjoy writing. I love, love, love to read.

I do not, however, know what to do with little children. I also like "real" literature and writing. That made secondary English the way to go for me.

However, through several opportunities and choices, I landed at the middle school. I love it there.

6. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

I love math. I've always loved the way it looks. High school math is the fun math, imho.

7. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 24, 2010

That kid was me - I was a total map nerd as a youngster! I could give directions to my dad from the back seat when he missed the exit on the freeway!

I like the tactile feel of maps and the fact that they give me the "big picture" orientation of a location - I cannot rely solely on GPS nav systems because I feel I'm giving away control to a machine. Those kids who like looking at maps are graphical or visual learners, so it's a good idea to incorporate something for them in your lessons!

8. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Mar 24, 2010

In all honesty, I teach math because it's easier to find a a job. I really love literature, history, and most all things social studies. However, I was able to find a job IF I was willing to teach math. I've always been good at it and passed my praxis on the first try, so that's where I landed. Coming up on the end of my second year, I'm really starting to love the math more than I thought I would and am glad I was "forced" into it :)

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 24, 2010

I teach FACS because I love it, and because it was easier to find a job than elementary. I love teaching foods classes and nutrition. I give my students life long skills that I know they will use well beyond their time in the classroom with me. I've had parents call me and say how much more involved their children are with the family dinners and grocery shopping after having taken my class. I love that!

10. thegreatmouton

thegreatmouton Rookie

Mar 29, 2010

I teach middle school math because I am a math nerd! :)

It forces me really think hard about the basics and think up new ways of explaining it. It's challenging for me because many things are second nature, so I really have to consider the more "simple" math from the eyes of a student who has never seen it before. Plus middle schoolers love the dorky stuff I do (e.g. the implied one is like a ninja - it's there, but you can't see it). We also play a lot of silly games.