Why do you sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by subteacher68, Mar 3, 2009.

1. subteacher68

subteacher68 Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I have been subbing for one district for one year and I am debating whether I want to continue to sub or seek full-time employment. Why do you sub? Is it b/c you like the flexibilty or is it in the hopes of getting hired? Thanks

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I like the flexibility, but mostly I want to land a full-time job, so the networking and experience is good.

4. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

Subbing is an opportunity for me to get to know the school districts and vice-versa. I have become familiar with schools and I know which districts would be a good fit for me as a classroom teacher. I'm definitely using subbing to get a job.

5. love2sub

love2sub Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I started subbing because I wanted the flexibility of a stay at home mom. My daughter is now if 4th grade and I am still not thinking of going full time. I love the variety and the flexibility. I am also in one school (my daughter's school) and they treat me like staff so I am blessed to have the best of both worlds! I think I will know when it is time to go back but right now my teachers really depend on me and I feel like I play an important role in the school system.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

That's great Love2sub! My experience has been good as far as treatment by schools and other teachers, but I understand, from some of the posters on this forum, that that's not necessarily the case at all schools.

7. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 3, 2009

For experience/hands on learning.

8. danielki85

danielki85 Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I am just out of college. Not sure if I want to teach or become or doctor or something else. Basically, I am confused on what I want to do with my life. Subbing provides me with a job that is fairly easy, fun, and one where I can work as much as I want or as little as I want (in terms of the amount of days I want to work a month). Not to mention the pay is pretty well in my district, at least by my standards.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 3, 2009

1. Flexable(I am in college and can go take off to do school work anytime I need to)
    2. Love the kids
    3. Getting experence for when I have my own classroom
    4. getting to know lots of different parents, teachers , aids and kids is fun too

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

i am subbing to try & get a job. i had my own classroom for quite some time, but need to find a better school w/more resources, support, etc. i have found the school.....now i just need to convince them to hire me (ha-ha)!

good luck to everyone still searching......

Meri

11. subteacher68

subteacher68 Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

Love2sub I love your answer. I was a stay-at-home-mom for 12 years and last year when my youngest was in K I started subbing in our district. I have alwasys been treated with respect and I just finished up a LT sub and will begin another in April. Overall I really love everything about subbing but at times I feel pressure to go full-time. I am not sure I am ready or if I ever will be. I think if the perfect position opened up then I would consider applying. But who knows what my perfect placement would be!

12. T.A.

T.A. Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

I subbed for about 1 year. The subsystem got very slow, and I wasn't getting enough hours, so I got a full-time position. While in the $15.00/hr full-time position, I was still getting calls to sub. I hated the full-time preschool position, and left last week to cover a maternity leave starting Monday.
    While subbing and going to school to become a school psychologist, I learned that I liked being in the classroom. I then changed my career goal to a teaching credential.

13. azure

azure Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I'm 59 yrs. old and have been subbing 7 years. I started when our youngest was in middle school so I would still be home when he was home. (He's in college and still home!) Anyway for me it's the flexibility, so I can travel with my husband when I want.

14. TeachingCool

TeachingCool New Member

Mar 4, 2009

I like the flexibility.

15. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I sub because I just graduated with my teaching degree.....I want the experience / networking until I land my own full time teaching position!

I also love the flexibility it is giving me right now! :)

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 4, 2009

Well, it's an excellent job to have while you're in college (assuming it's working on a Masters since most people need a Bachelors to sub).

I've subbed, worked as a special ed teacher for a yr, now am back to subbing because I'm back in school as a speech pathology student. :)

17. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

To get experience, though subbing is a tough gig. A lot of students like to get away with things the regular teacher would not allow.

18. wuttaeal

wuttaeal Rookie

Mar 6, 2009

I taught K-2 and middle school lang. arts, was a stay at home mom for 15 years, and homeschooled my boys for much of that time. Now they are both in public school. There are several reasons why I sub:

*To get back into the groove of teaching after so many years and to see where I might 'fit' when I want to go full-time
    *To make a little extra $$--
    *Because it's flexible-I also have an elected position that takes much of my time

I am not interested in a full-time job at this point. After subbing for the past 6 months, I have decided to go for a Masters degree and get my administrator's license. I love the work I do in government and also working with kids and youth. I think being a school administrator would bring those two together nicely.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

I sub to share some very unique life experiences with the kids... :)... I also enjoy the company of the teachers I work with...:p

20. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

My own children will have to grow up and share the world with all the other children I teach.

I want to do may part in assuring the other children have the best opportunity to succeed.

21. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I sub in the hopes that I will get hired for next year. If I do not get hired, I have no idea what I will do because I cannot stand the thought of subbing another year.

22. 7654321

7654321 New Member

Mar 14, 2009

I sub because I want to be one more adult that the kids can count on. I sub because I can make a difference in someones life. I sub because the schools are filled with hurting children that need people that care about them, support them and make them feel special. There are many other reasons, but these are the driving ones. I also enjoy the flexibility and the personal growth.

23. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I do it for the experience and to get my foot in the door!

24. wuttaeal

wuttaeal Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I didn't mention this in my above post, but this is a HUGE reason why I sub. Community service (by choice, not punishment :) ) consumes much of my life. Everything I do is volunteer, including my elected office, except subbing. If I wasn't subbing, I'd be volunteering in the schools and doing the same thing for no pay. The pay is a nice bonus.