Why do you love your grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sahm2_4, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sahm2_4

sahm2_4 New Member

Oct 15, 2005

HI, everybody. I am compiling a list about what it is about each grade that would make a teacher choose to teach it above any other. So I'm curious: What is it about your grade that makes it GREAT!?!

3. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Oct 15, 2005

I love fourth grade because they are old enough to be independant, but they still love and respect me. They understand sarcastic humor and I can joke and have fun with them. They are young enough to be innocent, but old enough to understand some real life issues.

4. sahm2_4

sahm2_4 New Member

Oct 15, 2005

That's a good answer. I student taught in 4th grade last week, and I really enjoyed it. I liked that they could read and write and think (can you tell I've taught a lot of Kindergarten?)
    I didn't like how loud they were, though, but maybe that was just me coming from a private school that's really quiet...

5. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 15, 2005

I love Kindergarten because the students at this age (for the most part) help restore my love for my fellow humankind!! They are eager to learn, completely vulnerable, and easily entertained. A simple silly face can send them into hysterics, and they usually try so very hard to please the teacher. No kidding--when I look at them, especially those who are struggling with something, I remember how much influence a single teacher can have in a young person's life. It makes me want to be especially kind even in tough moments. All the hoops we have to jump through in this career don't seem so bad once I get into the classroom.

6. codethree

codethree Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

I like grade three because they are not too young and new to the school but they are not too old and you can do a lot of little kid stuff with them. I was a T.A. for grade 1 Catechism last year and then was offered the class as my own. I turned it down for grade 3 because I didn't want little kids who were new to school. Grade 3 they are still counted as primary but it is their last year as primary students.

7. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Oct 16, 2005

I love first grade because they are so willing to try everything especially if it pleases the teacher. Their little lightbulbs stay on all year and are constantly going on and off. They are beginning to become more independent during their reading and writing. They are very innocent and caring.
    It is also fun to watch the parents when they realize their babies are readers and authors and explorers in all subjects. The parents are just as amazed as you are with what their babies start out at in the beginning of the year and where they are in the end of the year!
    First grade is really a hard year for kids and I think the most rewarding for kids, parents and teachers! First grade is #1 after all...

8. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

Kindergarten is great

I have so much fun teaching kindergarten... It is like seeing a baby walk or talk for the first time. These kids are doing the things you are teaching them for the very first time and that is soooo rewarding. Every year I cry when my first kid reads on his/her own because they have never done it before. Yeah kindergarten is TONS of hard work and patience, but so worth it. I think the older grades have advantages as well, but kindergarten is the first impression and so valuable!