Why do you enjoy teaching at the secondary level?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by OhioTeacher216, Jun 15, 2020.

1. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jun 15, 2020

Simple question-- I started my teaching career at secondary and have been at the elementary level for a few years. I miss my older kiddos-- I miss their independence, being able to joke, their inquisitiveness, and turning into little adults. So my question to you is: why do you enjoy secondary?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2020

I like kids who can be independent in both behaviors and thoughts. I also like the higher level materials.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2020

Teaching HS students allows for them to do independent research and study, which can be shared in class. I love the give and take, watching them hone skills that will fine tune how they project their ideas with others, and I love when you see the lights click on in their eyes as they connect the dots. I like higher level materials, especially since I often teach from science articles that are cutting edge, which often bring into question long held beliefs. I can help students who haven't quite mastered essays and paper writing with questions and suggestions that quickly make a difference in standardized testing, submissions to university admission departments, and other real world uses. I do appreciate their ability to question authority and norms, but know that I am maybe a little different in that sense, according to some colleagues who like that the least.

OhioTeacher216 likes this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 17, 2020

I like the maturity. I really enjoy getting to know my students, their lives, I feel that I can talk to them "normal". I wouldn't be good with young kids, it's just not in my personality or interest. I think the lowest I could go is 6th grade, but I really enjoy high school age.