Why do TV cooks/personalities do this?? (RAW MEAT/SOAP DISPENSER)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jul 10, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Eeewww...ok, this one really bothers me.
    Have you ever noticed that after the "chef/cook/TV personality" has handled raw meat and they go to wash their hands; they touch the soup dispenser and sink handles with their icky, juice-laden hands (palms & fingers)!!??!!
    I have never seen one use the back of their hands to dispense soap/turn on water. I always use the back of my hand after I have handled raw meat.

your thoughts?

3. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I've seen it...it grosses me out too. I just hoped maybe they had a clean up crew to disinfect everything they touched

4. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Actually it's even worse than that.

They don't appear to have sanitizer available to clean food prep areas. They don't wear disposable food handler gloves. (It really bothers me when people touch food with their bare fingers.) They don't wear hats or hairnets. Some of the women wear rings and dangling bracelets. Chef Emeril wears a towel over his shoulder. All of these are culinary no-nos.

I know that most of these people are experienced chefs ... but I've never seen one use a thermometer to temp their meats.

I've never seen anyone sample a sauce and discard the spoon. A disposable spoon would got in the trash and a metal spoon would go into the sink. The dirty spoon always seems to be placed back onto the counter.

Of course ... while watching, "Who Wants to Be the Next Food Network Star," the one contestant turned his back on a studio audience to wash his hands before doing his demo was soundly criticized by the judges' panel. One apparently does not turn his or her back on an audience.

I'm guessing then that the priority for the Food Network is personality, speaking to the camera (and hence the broadcast audience), and showmanship. One would hope that the meals being prepared are also tasty but as we saw in another thread, some food network stars appear to get by with winning smiles and personality.

Sanitation appears to be a distant 3rd or 4th consideration in all too many programs.

To be fair to the Food Network ... the show is primarily geared to home cooks. This doesn't mean that sanitation should NOT be an issue but again, the perspective appears to be geared towards turning out a good show.

Everyone loves to see the Food Network star plate meal ... but who really wants to see someone washing hands? As the judges in the aforementioned competition also pointed out ... the act of washing hands also takes up valuable time.

5. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Typically, with those types of shows a "finished" product is prepared in advance. This is what they show at the end (and what the chef will actually eat). They should still display better health habits to their viewers.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I noticed that too. It wasn't his fault that the sink was not strategically placed so that he could talk to the audience and wash his hands at the same time. He had one of the best demos too and cracked me up cooking with that little girl. They should have pointed out that it was great that he was showing kids proper sanitary measures in the kitchen. I guess that's not what the judges wanted :confused:

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2008

I don't mind it when Food Network chefs/cooks don't wear gloves or hairnets because they're not usually cooking in a restaurant kitchen--they're supposed to be teaching me how to cook in mine! And I certainly don't wear gloves or hairnets, although I most definitely wash my hands frequently, without touching every part of the sink along the way.

What I absolutely cannot stand is when Rachael Ray mixes hamburger meat with her hands...while wearing her wedding rings! Honestly, those rings probably cost more than my annual salary ("probably"? Who are we kidding! Of course they do!), and she's going to get raw hamburger goo all over them? YUCK! I've seen her taken the rings off exactly once, but every other time she's left them on. Eeeeew.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

oh well. :down:

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

oh :p Germs are good for you

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I hate it when they repeatedly just wipe their hands on a towel w/o washing their hands.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2008

Food Network is about sharing a passion for food and cooking with a HOME audience- People who watch are inspired to cook the recipes at home...I don't know anyone who uses hairnets or gloves at home while cooking...I think when the chefs wash up they are showing good sanitation, and the boards, equipment could be cleaned during breaks/after the show. I've seen several shows on the Food Network where they use different cutting boards for meats than for veggies, discuss that, washing hands, putting used equipment in the sink for later clean up...Of course it's all about putting on a good show AND providing good information to the audience.

12. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I actually love the show "Good Eats" because the host (Alton?) is constantly showing or telling about sanitary measures, and food safety, and temperatures, etc. I think it is an excellent show.

The others tend to bore me, personally. Except Iron Chef. :) But Good Eats gives a lot of great information, and is an interesting show at the same time.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

It doesn't bother be that they don't wash their hands on air. I assume that they wash their hands before the tape rolls and they assume that we all know to wash our hands before/while cooking. As other posters have mentioned, they don't wear hairnets or glove either because they are simulating cooking at home. I do think that not taking your rings off is both gross and dumb - who wants to look for diamonds in the meatloaf!

14. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

As I am reading this, I am feeling pretty dumb. I am thinking back to last night when I was shaping the hamburger patties for my husband to grill. I did not take off my wedding ring when shaping the meat. Oh well, I am looking at the ring and it looks fine and dinner was great!

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I absolutely hate when Paula Dean (I think that is her name, the gray haired cook from down South) mixes something with a spoon, tastes it and then puts the spoon back in the pot! Ugh!!

16. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 13, 2008

You're right. That's disgusting.

I also hate it when she uses a metal spoon on a non-stick pan.