Why Do Teachers Look For Jobs In The Summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 28, 2011

Why do teachers look for Summer jobs like teenagers?

Do you guys ever consider teaching in the Summer?

Or unless you put some of money aside for the summer so your covered.

If I was a teacher I would just teach in the Summer...

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

Well, teachers may look for a job for various reasons.
    1) they are workoholics and need to do something during the summer
    2) not all school districts have summer school (or, it's VERY difficult to get a teaching job, my last school did this lottery thing) and they need the income to help pay bills
    3) many teachers receive 10 checks so they don't get anything during the summer months. Many are either not good at putting money away, or just have a lot of bills that need to be paid
    4) single parent
    5) want to earn extra money for a fun trip

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

Actually, I think more teachers travel during the summer than work.

I generally just sit on my rear and wait for my wife to get home each day.

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

Some of them realize how much money they can make in the summer and can't pass it up.

My industrial tech teacher in high school built decks during the summer. He didn't need benefits and all that jazz, and was self employed. It doubled his annual salary to work those two months.

Personally, I'm going to live frugal as all heck, because I want to travel and relax.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

I don't teach in the summer because my district normally offers only core classes in summer school (and I teach an elective). I also really like being lazy in the summer.

I don't need to specifically set money aside to cover myself during the summer months. My pay is spread out over the entire year. Even though I am only paid for the 9 months or so that I work, my total annual salary is divided into 24 paychecks.

In my district you wouldn't be able to teach just in the summer. Summer school positions are first available to regularly licensed classroom teachers who teach during the year.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

I teach both summer school and an SAT prep class, and do freelance writing.

It's a good opportunity to pick up extra money. Plus, with 3 kids, it seems we always got through more money during the summer.

And, of course, there's that trip to Disney World we're planning for summer 2012 :)

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

In my area, the great majority of teachers who work during the summer need the money to survive. Our salaries are very low. For example, 30 years of experience pays $50,000. There are very few summer teaching jobs available.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

I taught summer school last year because it was available to inside district employees and the extra money was good. At my new district, they don't offer summer school so I'll be taking the summer off to travel. Since I started teaching, I haven't worked during the summer. My pay is spread over the entire year.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

Summer school positions are very competitive in my area; you have to have "points" based on seniority to even be able to apply. With the budget cuts, fewer classes are being offered.

Because DH makes good money, I don't have to fret about not getting a check for two months (we're also careful budgeters) so I usually do some kind of professional development that will help me be a better teacher. This year, however, I plan to relax more and do a lot of reading--mostly professional books, but maybe a bit of purely recreational reading!

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 28, 2011

I'm lucky enough to work at a school that pays me 12 checks a year--- I would not be able to be one of those people who saves a little every month for 10 months to survive two months without income. :)

But I don't consider myself "on vacation" during the summer. I often try to find professional development that I can do during the summer so I don't miss teaching days. I try to find new experiments, web-sites/resources, or ways of teaching a lesson. I also have the added task of organizing a new classroom which has not been properly organized in YEARS and updating the curriculum mapping to reflect the changes I've added to the science curriculum at the school.

So do I have a job during the summer? Yes-- I am still a full-time teacher. I do enjoy being able to relax and work at home for a change, but I still put a in a few hours of work every day.

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 28, 2011

Summer school is only 20 days. We only get paid for 4 hours each day. I get much more pay if I work full time during the entire summer than teaching summer school.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 28, 2011

I know very few teachers who work in the summer. Our yearly paychecks are divided into 12 payments, so I get three paychecks in June (June, July, and August). We don't usually have summer school, and honestly I need the mental break in summer.

I've never worked in the summer. If I lived in a city with places to work, I might consider a retail job just to have something to do. I'm in a small town with few places, and I feel that other people need those jobs worse than I do.

14. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

In our district we only get paid for 10 months, but I have a Summer Share account where some of my paycheck is deducted and put into a savings account that gets deposited back to me over the summer. Honestly I would still consider working for extra cash since I am trying to pay off loans and other bills, but this summer I am going to have to go back home for a large part of it for family obligations. Maybe I will try to find something to do up in NY like tutor for extra cash.

15. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 28, 2011

My district does not offer summer school. There is usually some type of curriculum work available that you can apply for if it pertains to your area of teaching. Last year I worked on revamping our report card. Worked for 4 days, 5 hours a day and received 1/200th of my annual pay for each day worked. This is a negotiated amount that my union bargained for. It provided nice pocket money. Otherwise I set aside a set amount from my checks to cover my summer expenses.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

I didn't have a teaching position when I got my license, so I applied for a job as a hotel desk clerk. I was hired last March and spent the rest of the school year working in the afterschool program 5 days a week, doing some substitute teaching, and working at the hotel on the weekends.

I had planned to work at the hotel more during the summer, but was fortunate enough to work at two Summer Camps offered by our district. That was nice money, plus we were outside a lot, did fun activities, watched movies and took a field trip every week. I continued working at the hotel on weekends.

I applied for several teaching positions and got a couple of interviews, but no offers. Then, two days before school started back, I got a call offering a part-time teaching position in my district.

Still kept the hotel job because (a) it gave me extra spending money and (b) I get employee discounts on other hotels in our corporate network. It does get tiresome working 7 days straight sometimes, week after week, but the work isn't really that hard.

This summer, I will be applying for the Summer Camp again and maybe think about working every other weekend so I can spend more time with my boys when they are with me.

Either way, I will still be doing some kind of work during the summer. After spending 2.5 years without a steady job, I'm not about to give up the ones I have.

17. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

I work at something, sometimes teaching college courses, which I also teach at night during the year, and sometimes doing something else.

In a good summer I sometimes teach a couple of seminars to other teachers as well.

I have to work during the summer to make ends meet, even though my checks are spread out over 12 months. I also work continuously throughout the year on stuff for my classes at school.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

Our checks are spread over 12 months, but I'm looking for a job this summer. It's partly because I need the money and partly because I'd frankly be bored silly if I didn't have a job for 2 full months. That's just how I've always been. I used to work as a lifeguard in college, and I'd go home and work at our local YMCA on breaks. One christmas break I couldn't get my certification renewed on time so I couldn't work. Those 3 weeks without a job seriously bothered me- I was so restless! Even if I didn't need the money I'd still want a summer job.

As for teaching in the summer, I think a lot of schools are cutting summer school due to budget cuts. With the economy a lot more teachers are wanting to work too. We only have summer school for 3 weeks right before school and there is a ridiculous amount of competition for jobs. As a first year teacher I don't really have a chance! I'm looking into some day camps and stuff like that.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

I began working in my dad's insurance office during summer and school breaks when I was 12 years old. By age 14, I could handle all the daily routines (mail, filing, taking payments, etc) by myself. the only thing I could not do was answer specific questions about policies or coverage. And, of course, I could not write policies.

I worked every Summer, Fall, Christmas and Spring Break in college and I've never had a job with more than 2 weeks vacation total. Like waterfall, I'm so used to working all the time I actually would get restless if I went any length of time without working.

Also, as I said before, going 2.5 years without steady employment makes me extremely grateful for the jobs (and money) I DO have now and I don't see any reason to give them up.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

I agree with this...although there are many days I don't clock any hours doing anything but breathing, I certainly put in a lot of time over the summer. :)

21. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 28, 2011

Why not?
    As teachers, our salary barely pays the bills!

Besides, if you have summer school and you get it (this will be my 3rd year out of 4...last year I was 2 hours late emailing a letter of interest) I will be making $2500 for 3 weeks. moving money and then some! yahooooo

22. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

I kind of like working, so I guess that's my main reason. I could survive without the money, but I find NOT working leads to more spending money - going out to eat, shopping, random trips to Target, etc. If I'm busy, I don't have time to spend!

Plus I've worked at the same summer job since I was 14 - and now I'm in charge of those 14 year olds. So I've moved up, have a lot of responsibility, benefits, and flexibility and I mostly enjoy it. I wouldn't be able to sit at home.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

I will teach summer school if I am available those dates and am lucky enough to be one of the few to be chosen. Our summer school program is only 2 weeks, so we still have time during the summer. My summers are always full too. That is my time to take a vacation to see my brother and his family. I also help with two VBS's my church does. Then there is the summer training. Last summer I had about 8 (week)days to do absolutely nothing. I love sleeping in, but my summers are not really much of down time. Once you really start to feel like summer it's time to get back into the classroom to begin preparing for the new year.

24. pyramidreading

pyramidreading Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

I am a 12-month employee - work for central office. This is good and bad - good because I have a paycheck in the summer; bad because when everyone else is splashing around at the beach, I'm preparing workshops for when they come back.

25. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 29, 2011

I have taught summer school for the last 9 years, but it is only 5 hours a day for four weeks. That leaves me with a significant chunk of the day left over until my husband comes home so I usually try to find some other type of work. We use it to boost our savings or take our summer vacation.

This summer I am not planning on teaching summer school. I am going to work on my thesis.

26. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

I volunteer at my mom's business. Too much down time and I get stir-crazy. :D

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2011

Summer school is VERY hard to get in my district. Kind of have to know someone to get in.

In the past, I've always waitressed for some extra money over the summer. With my current job, there's a lot of professional development and trainings offered over the summer, so I take advantage of them. Plus I need to take a few more classes for an endorsement.

I do some freelance work to make a few extra bucks.

28. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Mar 30, 2011

My paycheck is also spread out over the year, so I have money coming in. I spend my summer taking classes, catching up on house projects, planning for next year, and trying to be human. I also do my theatre thing in the summer. The only two years I ever worked summer school I was so exhausted in September I had a rotten year.