Why do teachers become aides?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by anna9868, Jun 30, 2014.

1. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jun 30, 2014

SubCT, I am dying to know why would someone become an aide after being a teacher and then a director for so many years?

6 years as a PreK Teacher
    8 years as an ECE Director (PreK - 5th, Public School)
    3 years as a ParEducator (PreK - 5th, Public School)

My story is very simple. I thought I would be a teacher when I was switching careers from IT to education. after student teaching (and then a few years of being at home with my kiddos) my first job was a preschool teacher. After a year of it I was let go and I was told I'm great with kids but not good with parents. Yes, I agreed with them 100%.

Since my kids were still young I was looking for a convenient job and substitute aide was a good one. HOwever, after 5 years of subbing in all kinds of classrooms at this point I'm not sure I can be a teacher at all, even if I had a lisense (mine is too narrow and expired anyway). Therefore I'm looking for an aide position.

In special education I've met a number of teachers who work as aides. Reasons: no big responsibilities, no papers to grade, no IEPs, meetings and other niceties of special ed

So, if you are ok sharing your story, it would be interesting,
    thanks,
    Anna

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

I wasn't a para, but I went back to subbing after 6 years in a classroom. I moved to another state. And I did apply for para jobs, but no one even interviewed me for one.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 1, 2014

I worked in public school for a few years (subbing, LTS, home schooling) but could not find a permanent job in my subject area (English). I decided to start my masters in special ed and became a special ed aide in a private school. The reasons were to gain experience in special ed, health insurance since it was a full time position, tuition reimbursement towards my masters, and also I had a leg up on getting a teaching position since I already worked at the school.
    I didn't do it to get out of more work I just did it as a stepping stone to a teaching position in a different subject area that was in higher demand.

5. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

In special education I've met a number of teachers who work as aides. Reasons: no big responsibilities, no papers to grade, no IEPs, meetings and other niceties of special ed

There you go!

Actually my program in the public school I use to work in, which I looooved, was discontinued, they went full day kindergarten :( and didn't need my program anymore..so no more Kinders for me...I cried for weeks!!!!!! All that was left was the Afterschool Program for 2.5 hours after 8 yrs full time and being a PreK Teacher for 6yrs I couldn't imagine working that little, no money, no benefits and I realllly needed health benefits!!!! I'm single :)

Being a Para is great, its so easy compared to what I use to do and I get a lot of sick time, personal days, holidays, health & dental insurance and I get to leave at 3PM everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was perfect for me.

I subbed for only a few months (so grateful for that!) before I was offered the part time Kindergarten Para position by the Principal of the school down the street, near where I use to work...she looooves hiring teachers as Paras!!!! I got lucky! I became full time just 7 months later :D :D :D

That's it, that's my story.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

It's fairly common here for credentialed teachers to take aide/para or other support positions due to lack of teaching jobs.

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

that's too sad! Just like in preschool where I only managed to work for a year before I was let go. Together with me out went the director of the program, a wonderful lady, so good with kids. After 14 years of work she was told they no longer can afford to pay her :blush:

I have a suspicion (after being in education field for a while ) there are far too many place in daycare/school/other settings where people's quality such as being excellent with kids, really good teacher, don't really matter that much (to the administrators, that is)

Anyway, SubCT, another question for you. After being a teacher and a director for so long is it hard sometimes to be a para where you are supposed to keep your mouse shut and do what the teacher tells you to? Even if you don't agree or see the teacher is obviously wrong?

By the way, I got a question on the interview like that one time. What if you see the teacher doing something that you think is not right, what should you do?
    I think I answered I would wait for the end of the day and when kids are out tell her about it. Hopefully, that's a politically correct answer

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

Actually I am shy by nature..quiet even, so its a more comfortable fit for me..i had staff I had to be responsible for as well as students and parents to deal with so I am okay with keeping my mouth shut and in all my experiences the teachers always treated me like I was part of a team..like we are in this together!!! They too have loved my background and experience. I don't need to take the lead or be in charge...communication is the key!

With the ''being in charge'' role comes all the responsibility and cr@p work..i'm okay with not having any of that to worry about anymore. The responsibility I had when I was a Director was OVERWHELMING at times!!!!!

And yes, I would have answered the same way, take the teacher aside at the end of the day...never in front of children or parents:)

I had anywhere from 55 to 75 kids enrolled in my programs the years I was there, we had 2 kindergarten sessions (3 hrs am & 3 hrs pm) everyday and a before/afterschool program as well.

My program ran from 7am to 6pm ( I actually had 5 yr olds who some days stayed in the program the entire day!) its in a Public School and we followed school policy, rules & regulations and we were mandated by the state as well.

And the Kindergarten sessions needed to follow the towns curriculum...like an extended day program or a school readiness type thing. I LOVED IT but it was a lot of work and I was always exhausted!!!!!

I loved my school--want to go back as a Para..hopefully soon, loved the staff so much, the kids of course were precious and yess it was rewarding in so many ways but I DO NOT MISS all the work involved:D

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

I wanted to add that the Summer School Teacher I am currently working with is a full time Para in our autistic program during the school year.

She deicded to become a teacher in her early 50's when her kids were grown, went back to school for about 7 yrs and could never find a teaching position so she stayed a Para the entire time and only teaches in the Summer..which she loves it pays VERY WELL she said.

As a Para she is making around $20.00 and hour now and has full benefits and like 3 months worth of sick time saved up because she's been doing it so long, so she's ok with it now :)

10. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 3, 2014

Interesting! I recently signed up for substitute aide at our local Intetermediate Unit which provides jobs in so many special education schools and classes throughout our county. So, there was a few offers this summer for like 2-4 weeks positions for aides that pays close to $20/hour. I wonder why they pay so much, no one wants to work in summer?

I may think about it for next summer if I'm still a sub, I just have to figure out if I can find a cheap place for my daughter to stay :)

11. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

Our summer school administrators are bombarded with applications for teachers, aides, therapists, nurses for our programs, people DO need to work and they always feel bad there is never enough positions for everyone who wants to work the 4 weeks :)

We do offer a 6 week program as well..SRP..but that's for the self contained, more severe students and then there is the enrichment programs like cooking, legos, computer, etc. those I believe are only 1-2 weeks. Its just a fun way to make money in the summer. My program goes an extra hour (8-1:30pm) so we get Fridays off!!!!!

I love it bcuz I really need to work and its only part time, 22 hours a week but it feels like a full time paycheck and if I would do something else in the summer i'd have to work many more hours to make the same money.

They don't take out for health insurance in the summer---that's only taken out for 10 months to cover the entire year, same for the union dues and retirement so the paycheck is pretty good...they only take out taxes in the summer :D

12. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

I applied for and accepted a part-time para position last year because I could not get hired as a teacher. The school I worked in was very, very affluent and the PTA made sure there were part-time aides in every classroom (this was a hold-over from the school's life as a charter, before the district bought it four years ago).

Anyway, there were about twenty aides in the school, and most of us were also certified teachers. Maybe 2/3 of us?
    Sheilah

13. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

I'm a certified general teacher and taught one year at a private school. I decided I wanted to go into PE and knew I needed to gain experience as an aide in order to be considered as a PE teacher and gain coaching skills. The pay sucks though.

14. renard

renard Companion

Aug 14, 2015

For me, the reason is simple, I have my own disabled child and don't have the energy or time for 100% commitment to a classroom. I don't plan on staying as support staff forever, but when I'm dealing with constant appointments, it makes more sense.