why do subs refuse to follow...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Tookie Williams, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

...seating charts, sub folders, ect. They are there for a reason. And as much as I hear complaints about teachers not leaving lesson plans, etc, why, when we do, do they get ignored more often than not?

I find it very hard to feel bad for subs who have bad days when the simplest of directions that could prevent kids from running around (a seating chart) is ignored.

Do some subs just think they know better when it comes to seating charts? Are you trying to get kids to like you?

I have subbed, too, a long time ago, and if there was a seating chart, I used it. None of this 'making a deal' crap where I told them "I'll let you sit anywhere you want as long as you do the work" like subs have time and time again, done in my classroom.

Follow the instructions people!!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

Hard to put kids into assigned seats when you don't know their names.

4. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I have no problem on the first day of school putting kids I don't know the names of in seats?

thats a poor excuse

5. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I just hate when I get a report that says...

"3rd period was out of control, flipping paper and hitting another kid in the eye"

but when I ask for names so I can deal with it, they give me a description, but can't tell me a name...

Well, had you made them sit in their assigned seats, you would have been able to tell who shot the "stinger"

You can tell if they are in the wrong seats when you do rollcall (you do do roll at the beginning of class, don't you?)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

I'm not a sub. But I when I was a sub I was made a permanent building sub. I did not have problems in the class. I'm just saying coming into someone elses room in the middle of the year can be hard. Students respond differently to a sub than their classroom teacher. So you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

7. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Most of my subs have done a very good job with my classes. If I have one that just lets them run wild then I just request not to have them again.(doesn't always work but I try) I think most subs TRY to go by what the teacher leaves. I have found that the more details that I leave for them the better they do. However, yes, there are some that just do whatever they please. The secretaries at my school who set up subs always know which ones those are and try not to invite them back.

8. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

if you can't get 20 - 30 kids to sit in a seating chart walking into a classroom at any point of the year (when the teacher uses a seating chart), then maybe you should be subbing as classroom management leaves a lot to be desired...

I have subbed, in the same situation. Going to schools I didn't know the students. I had no problems as far as makeing the sit in seating charts. In fact, I LOVED it when teachers left seating charts for me.

Of course, I wasn't trying to be "the cool sub" either

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

I teach in a great school, but one which is plagued by rampant student apathy and a pervasive disdain for structure and rules. The kids at my high school are notoriously bad with substitutes. They often refuse to comply with instructions made by a sub, even basic instructions such as identifying oneself during attendance. Some students would actually prefer to be marked absent than to identify themselves to the sub--because by not identifying themselves, they are free to act out.

Subs obviously have the ability to call for assistance from the hall monitors. When they do, however, the kids know to sit down and act good while the hall monitor is in the room. The minute the monitor leaves, the kids are up and acting out again.

Subs easily get overwhelmed by our students when they are insubordinate because frankly the kids look and act like thugs who are capable of extreme violence. I've seen even the best subs lose it after one period at my school. It's so bad for them that many refuse to come back and take on more assignments at our school.

I know that most schools are not like my school, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

10. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

our definitions of "great school" must differ drastically then...

However, if I had never subbed before, I would be talking out my butt here. But I have subbed. I have subbed at the best and worst schools out there. I have seen it all (or most). But no class won at "sink the sub" against me.

If you can't handle it, get out. I never had problems following instructions, though

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

I know which kids are going to give the sub a hard time. All I want is for the sub to follow my lesson plans! I know that the sub will probably not get through everything & he/she will do things differently then I would, but at least try & follow the plans.

My grandmother passed away last year & I left detailed plans. Everything was copied & ready to go. I left everything in daily folders in a crate that I put on my chair, plans on the desk. I came back, the crate had been moved, but nothing in it had been touched! I had had the same sub all 4 days & she chose to pull copies off my shelves & do other work. The kids were confused as the copies were for the next week & they hadn't done the prep work that I had asked the sub to do.

I've even had subs pull out a workbook & do a page out of it, when I didn't say anything about the subject!

Grrr. . . I hate missing a day!

12. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I agree, I hate missing days as it takes 2 days to get caught up for every 1 day missed. It's so hard to find competent subs, and the few that are out there, aren't there for long as they work their way into their own classrooms eventually, or are booked solid for the entire year by October.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

I had a sub in my room who completely disregarded my plans (and I leave 'idiot proof plans'...) My kids were stressed out, went to the nurse complaining of stomachaches and headaches, I came back to notes about 'who was bad' plus I needed to reteach the lessons because the sub decided she knew better...Other teachers in the building have had similar problems with the same sub- needless to say that sub won't be on our list next year...and she called the principal asking for a recommendation for a teaching job in another district- she won't be getting the recommendation either...

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

As a former sub...you should know what kids are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. There's always at least one kid you can count on. I feel it is important to try to follow what is planned and if not leave a not of what was not done.

On the flipside, I subbed for a teacher that left a TON of work to get done because she wanted me to basically play "catch up" for her & that's not fair either. Then it looks like I couldn't get accomplished what she left!!! Teachers can be just as inconsiderate as the subs.

15. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

i don't judge a sub based on if they get ALL my lesson plans covered the day I'm out. I don't even do that most times. I always give more than enough to keep the class occupied. Nothing aggrevates me more, when I give a worksheet with instructions to write questions and answers out (therefore giving the kids plenty to do so the sub doesn't have a ton of down time during class) and the sub tells them all they have to do is answers only. When kids have nothing to do, the classroom disruptions begin.