Why do schools wait so late to call a delay/day off?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Em_Catz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 27, 2013

We've been having a bit of inclement weather (ice, snow, sleet) here on the East Coast and it really grinds my gears that they (whoever "they" are) always wait until literally the last minute to let us know if we're having a delay or closing.

During our last closing, my mom and fiance (both of whom work for the government) knew by 10 p.m. the night before that they had the option to telework and that the government was on half-day schedule.

The school system on the other hand didn't make an announcement until about 5:30 a.m. the morning of.

Is it like that everywhere? Why do they wait so long?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 27, 2013

Here they wait until 6:30 sometimes... they'll make the call earlier if they can, but if there's no announcement by 6:30, then school is on.

It makes sense to me, because if the weather is bad at 10 pm, the snow is often able to be cleared up by the next morning. It's not until first thing in the morning that anyone can really know what the weather will be like.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 27, 2013

That makes sense, but what's the deal with the government? Don't they lose more money if they're closed than the school system? It seems like the "they" would be more concerned about the children's safety than the government employees safety. Why do they give them so much more notice? Don't parents need more time to make provisions for their kiddos?

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013

Not sure what this delay or day off is that you speak of. Would be nice on a rare occasion.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 27, 2013

:haha: For real! The last time we had a snow day it was the first snow day in 10 years or something. We wont be having another one any time soon!

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 27, 2013

I think schools want to stay open, (for the ADA funding) so they wait for the latest possible time to call it off.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2013

I know! Grrr!

A couple years ago I had already left for school on dangerous roads before I got an automated call on my cell phone saying they had decided to close. Ugh times ten...

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2013

I always assumed they were just waiting until the last minute hoping they could get away with NOT calling off/calling a delay. In my last district snow days/delays didn't exist. It was in the mountains and the attitude was simply "You live in the mountains. Suck it up, it's part of our economy." I would often pass 10 or more wrecks in my 15 minute commute...talk about infuriating! I honestly can't believe I never got in a wreck in my two years there. I did slide off the road a few times, but luckily never slid actually into anything. Here, all of our students walk (small neighborhood, no buses) so we'd have to pretty much be in a full on blizzard to get a snow day. It has happened before though- they got two last year. They were saying they don't do delays, so it's either we're going on we're not. So far this winter has been extremely warm with no more than an inch or so of snow, so I'm not holding out hope for any blizzards! Every time I look at the weather the 10 day forecast is sunny and everything over the 50's for the entire thing. I want a snow day!

10. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Jan 27, 2013

I got all the way to school once and they called it 10 minutes after I got there...then I had to drive all the way back home. :mad:

We don't get much snow here (usually, but not always, one snow event a year). Because of that, we don't have snow plows, so the city grinds to a halt. We have black ice more than snow, so it's even more of a driving hazard.

I now that districts hate to make the call too early, but when the weather is bad enough to possibly have a snow day, we usually have a ton of kids stay home, even if school stays open.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2013

Oh, Em, it is personal, and they just want to annoy you! LOL

Just kidding, really. It just feels that way sometimes, doesn't it. Irritating when you could have slept in.:D

I agree with the poster that says they want to have school if they can, so they wait. Our school system has made early calls before and regretted it because what was supposed to happen over night just.... didn't. They have also not made proper calls and waited to long, and it was a major problem.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

My school system is hoping desperately that no snow days have to be called - Because of Sandy, the school year already ends June 25th. The latest they are legally allowed to have school is June 30th.

They're going to all but obliterate spring break before they let that happen.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

I remember with Katrina the governor said we were exempt from attendance rules that year. It kept us from having to extent our school year.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

Schools generally wait because (A) they do want to have school if possible (as an earlier poster said), even if they know the number of absences will be high that day, and (B) the weather doesn't always do what the forecasters predict (as another poster said).

I also live in the East. Two weeks ago, a front was moving in that was supposedly going to give us some snow. I was subbing the day before and even the admin was saying we probably wouldn't have school the next day, but the snow never came and the next day was clear weather.

Just this past Friday, though, the forecast was for freezing rain. We had a lot of rain and the temperature during the day was below 40. The night-time temperature was going to stay down in the 20's, which meant all that water on the road and ground was going to freeze. Our district took no chances with that and called off school by 10pm that night.

One thing to keep in mind is that the districts have to make the call before the first bus leaves to start picking up kids. I know because I also sub on bus routes. The buses at most of our schools start on the road between 6:00am-6:30am, so the district rarely waits later than 5:30am to make the call.

Our local radio station has set up a Facebook page. They list all the local closings and delays on their weather page. They also send an automated text message listing closings of different schools systems. You can go on their site and choose the specific districts you want to know about and you will receive an automatic text if there is a closing or delay. It is very convenient.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

Our schools are always open, but buses may be cancelled if they roads are bad--like they are today. That determination is made in the morning; ours was announced at shortly after 6:00 this morning. I don't remember ever knowing the night before.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

I'd be happy with a 5:30 call! My son's school closed at 5 a.m. Mine, not until 6 a.m. I was just getting ready to step into the shower! I've made it all the way to school before it has been called. A friend of mine was on her way in this morning when she got my text!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2013

I don't expect them to call it the night before...but I do before 6:30.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2013

When I worked in public school they had to make the decision before 6am. The school where I work now does not have snow days so be thankful you get a day off even if they call late!

19. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 28, 2013

Oh my goodness. I never check my cellphone in the morning, and due to this I am currently sitting my classroom despite there being a 2hr delay in effect. I should be in bed, haha! Apparently they didn't make the decision until 5am. I had no idea there was even bad weather (which makes me rather thankful that my driving this morning was uneventful).

20. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 28, 2013

My school is closed for today...I got the call at 5:10am, which is 20 minutes before I have to get up in the morning. My district always calls pretty early, which I'm very thankful for!! :)

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

I remember one day in high school they didn't call off school until like 9 AM! We were all already at school! It was a huge mess for students who didn't ride the bus and needed to get picked up by 9:30. They never did that again and always called it by 5:30.

Where I live now, we basically don't have snow/weather days. We've had one in the 7 years I've been here; it was for icy roads. Honestly I think that most people could have probably managed to get themselves to work and school safely, but I wasn't about to complain. :lol: What I wouldn't give for a snow day here and there....I might have to move to a new place with more snow!

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

My daughter is a college student at a community college. Most of the public schools closed today. Her school did not. She drove to school, about a 20min. drive to get to class to find out that professor wasn't coming in. At least there was a sign on the door & she didn't have to sit & wait.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 28, 2013

We generally know before 6:00, if not the night before. The early busses pick kids up at 5:30. We generally know the night before unless the ice/snow comes overnight.

Friday the freezing rain started at 5:45. That would have been a mess! Fortunately we had already called off due to illness.

We are a rural area, so we rarely have delays. One or two hours won't make a difference in weather.

24. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 28, 2013

AH HA! I knew it! :lol: It's so annoying, but it makes me feel a little better to know why and to hear that other people are experiencing the same thing. I guess I should just assume that if the government is opening late I will have a delay too.

Also, to the person who posted about school being cancelled while in route, OMG, BEEN THERE! There was a horrible ice storm and they said two hour delay, so I drove to work and from the top of the hill all the way to the bottom and onto the school's sidewalk.

The custodian had to help me move my car back. As soon as I got back in, they came on the radio saying the delay had been changed to a closing :mad::mad:

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2013

Any snow/inclement weather days we take need to be made up...we still have two to make up from the hurricane...

26. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 29, 2013

It is really annoying when you drive 45 minutes to get to school. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I worry about it every time there's winter weather.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 29, 2013

Our schools are also never closed. Buses always run unless there is a mechanical problem or accident. It was -41F with the wind chill this morning and I dreamed of living in a place that offered snow days, haha.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

Wowza.

29. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 29, 2013

Last Friday we had a 2 hour weather delay that was announced the night before through all the media outlets and robo call to the employees and students. Nothing happened weather wise but at 7:00 am there were 3 students at the school. Waiting. They said they didn't get any calls, their parents had no idea of the delay. They sat outside until 9:45 when the school opened. :dizzy:

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Several districts have already called for a delay tonight in anticipation for storms rolling through... I don't remember this happening before, especially when we're not expected to get HORRIBLE MAJOR storms. Interesting.

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2013

My school often doesn't call until 7:00. I have a 1 hour commute, but it's longer in bad weather. So it's a bit of a catch-22. If I want to make it to school safely, I need to leave earlier. But I don't want to be on the road if I get 'the call'. Luckily the radio usually announces it before I actually get called by the school and so far everything has been okay.

32. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 29, 2013

In California, the only reason we would have a day off is for an earthquake, and we'd have bigger things to worry about then.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2013

Dunno, Peregrin: we've certainly had days off for fire, and in some parts there's the occasional day off when there's been enough rain that the adobe slab upslope is looking a bit... slip-pery.

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2013

Well, I'm in California (Southern!) and we had 2 snow days last year! I work in the mountains, but it's only 30 minutes from the city. I just saw hail yesterday (during lunch) and saw snow high on the mountains (wasn't close enough for it to be a problem, but close enough to see it:)

35. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 29, 2013

Ah, yeah, forgot about the fires. They do happen somewhat frequently these days.

I work on a mountain as well. It's very interesting. I live down in the valley, but from our school we can see the snow-caps on the next peak over like it's a hike away. I think we're just below the threshold for snow though because we're near the top of one of the smaller peaks. The Bay Area has some very interesting geography.