Why do school districts have to assume everyone run Windows?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mollydoll, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

Seriously, it is annoying. Two districts have their forms as .exe files. All you do is run the program and print the form. I am dual booting with Vista, but it annoyed me to have to do that just to print and stupid form. What is wrong with .pdf?

And, from the job fair I went to, I have 5 mini cds. All I have are slot-loading cd drives on my computers. I can't run them. And two of them apparently have links to apply online that are set up for job fair people. That would be useful, but the school computer labs are all iMacs and everyone I know mostly just has laptops.

The form thing just really irked me. Another district has a job application form that requires internet explorer. If you don't have it, you just get an error message.

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 9, 2009

I was also frustrated b/c the online application process takes up to 45-minutes and once you start, you can't stop. Can I SEE the application, first? Are there essay questions on it? How do I know if I'm going to have all my information ready for the form before I open and start it?

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

You can generally stop on them. If they are on separate pages where you have to hit next it saves for generally 7 days. Fill out the first page, hit next, and then leave the website, go back and see if it is still there. Just make sure you do the test run after the first page. I had one take me 3 hours the other day. I had to leave it. It had drop down menus on every question with like 50 options. I'm out of state so I had to read through them all, then go nope none of those fit me then read through again trying to find the closest match, because you can not answer the next question without answering that one. My husband actually left I was complaining so much.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 9, 2009

Yes. I am glad that I have been e-mailing the listed e-mail address with questions before filling out the application. I found out that the application will ask me to attach my transcripts and teaching certificate. Now, that means they have to be already scanned into my computer and all set. If I did not know that, I would not have been ready. I assumed I could have sent in copies separately.

6. palla

palla Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I had something like that happen. You have to enter it all in one sitting for the district here; there is no way to save the information. They asked for a 750-word narrative. I had completed a good bit of the application but had to write the essay and go back and redo the entire application. I was cussing as I was typing!

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

For those districts, I make a fake account first so I can go poke around and print out pages of the application. Then, when I have my stuff together and the time to sit down, I go make a real account and fill it out.

8. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

That's a good idea. I haven't come across anything like this, but I'll know what to do now if I do. Thanks!

9. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Mar 10, 2009

IMO the education world is the most technologically-backwards segment in American society. I think it's that the wooden duck necklaces get caught in the keyboards or something. :)

The application process is so spectacularly, perversely bad that I don't know how people get paid to design that crap. Most school-related sites could be meaningfully revamped by a talented 8th-grader.

IE required, windoze required, Office required. What nonsense. There is no reason to default to closed, proprietary commercial software. I mangle my browsers identification, use WINE to run windoze apps, and use OpenOffice for Word and Powerpoint.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2009

How about nitty-gritty - they have forms loaded as Word Docs. Done in 2007. And you don't have 2007, you are still running 2002. So you can't open them.

I have since had to upgrade to 2007. But still. Grr.

And what if you don't have a scanner? Not everyone has a mini office at home - especially if they are a new grad on a budget!

Seriously? Why can't the world just use PDFs? EVERYONE can read a PDF. That's why they invented them :)

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 10, 2009

My school runs on Windows XP and mostly Microsoft Office, but I have installed Open Office on my computer so I can open documents from students who can't afford to purchase Word. I've cautioned these kids to save their work as .doc files instead of .odt, but my co-teacher simply gives them a zero for their work. Trust me, I feel for anyone who doesn't like to deal with MSFT.