Why do retired teachers often return to the classroom as substitutes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher_Lyn, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 19, 2008

If they've retired, doesn't that mean they should be pretty burnt out from teaching children? Especially subs like my old Spanish teacher (she made me LOVE learning Espanol!!! We all thought it was hilarious because she was originally from Puerto Rico and when she was learning English in school she used to cheat on her English exams, so she'd be like, "Don't even THINK about cheating on one of my tests. I know ALL the tricks! :lol:)

Anyhow, she was in her early 70s when she retired, than she came back to the school and started substituting. It's the same with a lot of teachers.

I woudl think about 30 - 50 years of teaching, even the teacher who absolutely LOVES children, and lives and breathes for educating them would be so tired. Thoughts?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

But wouldn't it be nice to do what you love as a hobby? All the perks of the kids loving you, but no paper work, planning, or professional development?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2008

Once we retire, we are able to work a certain number of days each school year without it impacting our pension. Some of our favourite subs are retired teachers.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2008

A friend of my mom's is a retired 3rd gr teacher. She subs 2, maybe 3 days a wk. It's just a way to keep busy doing something she's an expert in & mk a little extra money (not that she needs it). And I do believe she only works a certain few amt of days for it not to affect her pension.

Speaking of this, my aunt who's job is not education-related, worked for the city for 40+ yrs, retired, & is now working at a sports arena. The money she mks at the arena covers her bills, etc. & that doesn't even count all her retirement money. She's pretty wealthy as is my mom's teacher friend. I hope to be living like them when it's time for me to retire!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

Subbing is ideal that's why! You work as much or as little as you like.. you ( hopefully) enjoy kids and influencing them and you make some extra cash... what's not to love?

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

We had a large number of teachers (about 12) retire from my school alone last year. Most of them are about 60, and HAD to retire or lose out on a nice package. Few of them were acutally ready to retire, so many of them sub for us. They are the best subs because they know our building and many of the kids. We also had two retired teachers come back to teach part time this year.

8. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Personally I find it a little frustrating that retired teachers are back to sub and get the part time jobs. There are A LOT of excellent teacher candidates out there praying for a job, any teaching job but they don't get hired bc of the retirees.

I know of many including a music director who "retired" and then was rehired in the exact same job. He now collects retirement and a salary.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

I think there's a bit difference between retiring and subbing once or twice a week and a retire/rehire situation.

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Two of the three regular subs at my school are retired teachers. They only sub at my school, and they say exactly what a previous poster said...they sub because they still love teaching and working with children, but subbing doesn't require the same amount of prep work, paperwork, or even teaching time. (They usually only work 1-2 days a week.) In addition, they are well-known in our building by both staff and students, so I think that smooths the subbing road for them. The students behave well for them, and they are comfortable enough with other staff to go and ask for help if needed.

11. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 19, 2008

I like when retired teachers sub for me. Most of the time, they know some of the students and/or a sibling. I trust them in my classroom when I am not here, and I like that I can leave real lesson plans instead of "busy" work that so many teachers leave for subs.

Then there are the retired people who sub because they believe in education, believe in helping, need something to do, or a milllion other reasons. If they are a good sub, I don't care if they are an ex-teacher, ex-businessperson, or ex-whatever.

12. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Dec 19, 2008

I don't know if I can answer your question to cover all circumstances, but I can say some retired teachers do it for the money.

My father retired from teaching two years ago. He had worked as a high school English and Science teacher for 35 or 36 years. My father found a part time job with another school district as a home bound teacher to supplement his pension. My father won't be able to get social security for another 6 months yet. It's a good thing my father has this part time job as he just received a letter from our state saying his pension will be reduced this year due to the economy.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2008

Consider also the famous "high" from helping the light bulb come on for someone: that's a hard habit to kick cold turkey.

14. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Dec 19, 2008

I agree that retired teachers make great subs! There are a FEW that I can tell are burnt out, but most are great because they know the building and staff members.

On the subject of retire/rehire....I don't think that is fair at all.
    Our superintendent of 5 years just announced his retirement about a month ago(he's had a long career, just 5 years in our county) Two weeks later, it came out that he was in the running for a sup. position in a neighboring state. This week it was announced that he was indeed hired. He is going to be pulling in nearly $300,000 between his pension in our state and his new salary in the neighboring state. Something just isn't right about that. I personally don't think you should be able to have a regular, full time position AND retirement benefits at the same time!! Retirement benefits are meant to give you income when you are no longer working, no? I understand that benefits likely don't pay enough, so I can see part time work...but I'm tired of this double dipping!!!!

15. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

I think I look at it this way. If they worked long and hard and earned that retirement then yes, they should be able to get it even if they choose to get a job elsewhere. If they earned it then it is theirs!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 19, 2008

If it were me, I would be doing it for:

1. social stimulation if I was at home all the time

2. a little extra money on top of retirement

3. a little work with less responsibility (all that dang paperwork!)

:)

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

A family member of mine retired and then subbed a day or two per week. She liked helping out her former colleagues, enjoyed being back at her school in a less formal way, and in addition to making money, it kept her from spending money. On her days off she noticed she'd spend a little bit of money here and there and it all adds up (coffee with a friend, a manicure, a movie, lunch with a relative and so on). If she is subbing she's not spending money during the day.

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

From what I can tell from our district mentors (who are "retired" teachers), subbing is more like taking care of the grandkids than one's own kids -- get my drift? It's a fun, yet temporary, thing :)

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

I guess it's better than going home and dying?

I won't sub when I retire, I'll have places to go and things to do.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

Whenver I need a sub, I always call the same woman to sub for me. She's a retired teacher, knows exactly what she's doing, and I feel confident that my kids are in good hands when she's around.

If a retired teacher wants to get back in the classroom and sub for some extra money, I don't see a problem with it! It's not a bad gig!

21. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

I find retired teachers subbing frustrating as well. I know that some of them are great subs, but so are some of our qualified young teachers who can't get jobs because of declining enrolement. In addition, because of retired teachers they also can't get a stable salary from subbing. Fortunately, this is the 3rd year of a new program in Ontario. So retired subs who have been subbing for 3+ years as of this year will only be able to sub 20 days a year before they lose their pension when subbing starting next year. This, of course, in the context of an EXCELLENT PENSION PLAN (which current teachers in Ontario will get, but unlike current pensioners, our pensions don't guarentee inflation protection).

22. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

I don't know where all of the "great young teachers who can't get jobs" are. They certainly aren't subbing in my district! I haven't had a young sub I think EVER in 15 years in my district, and I live and teach in one of those highly desirable districts that "everyone" wants to teach in.
    Most of the subs in our district are retired teachers or women who once taught and quit to raise their kids and now are empty nesters. Some are good and some are horrid. BUT.... I'd still rather have the retired teachers that I KNOW will follow my plans and are familiar with the way we run things at our school.

23. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Retired teachers subbing? I am all for it! If you love to teach, why not keep doing it?

When I retire, I am pretty sure I will want to keep my feet in education...either as an adjunct at a college or as a sub. Sure, I want to travel but I also want to be out there doing other things. Plus, to have the money to travel, i am sure I will need to work some.

We are often short on subs as most schools around here are. So, retired teachers are not taking any prized positions here.

24. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Mrs. R - my guess would be that if you teach in a desirable district and there are no young subs it is because they can't get on the list because it is overrun with retired teachers. Or perhaps your demographics are different and there are no young teachers who want jobs in your area.

But in Ontario there are only 3 boards in the province that are growing (all in the Toronto area) and the number of people retiring is quite low. So many new teachers can't get jobs for years and many of them don't get enough supply work because there are too many retired teachers (who already are getting around 70% of their salary as a retiree plus inflation - salaries at retirement being in the 80,000+ category) are coming back to make the 200+ dollars a day subbing.

In my view if you've taught for 30 years and you have decided that you want to leave teaching you should try something else. If you love kids so much for goodness sake you have enough money - go volunteer - or come back to a school and volunteer - but don't come back and say you just "love the kids so much" when really you just think that for some reason your pension isn't enough. (Again, on the premise that in Ontario we have an AWESOME pension plan).

25. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

Perhaps I am being a bit sensitive, but why so hostile? Most of the retired teachers that sub in our building did not want to retire in the first place, but would have ended up losing money from their pension if they had not signed their retirement papers. These are men and women who still have a lot to give; if they want to sub why should they be denied? Especially since the young teachers who didn't get regular jobs aren't applying for sub jobs; in our district they get better benefits by working as paraprofessionals.

I'm glad to hear that teachers in Ontario have great pensions. I'm not sure you can say the same for teachers here in the states, especially in Illinois.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 20, 2008

extra money
    still do what you love without paperwork, making lesson plans or going to meetings(hopefully you loved it or you should not be a teacher)
    see your friends aka coworkers
    make a little mad(spending money)
    keep from getting bored at home
    see grandchildren(if they live in your area)
    These are reasons I thought of that someone might retire, but who am I to talk seeing as I am still in school! WoW this is so far off for me!

27. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Hi Mrs R - Obviously your demographics are a lot different from ours, so subbing as a retiree may make a lot of sense and may be a reasonable decision. I didn't mean to be hostile, but it upsets me to watch great young teachers leave teaching or loose great chance to learn as a supply because retirees who are making more than I am for staying at home (I have a full time job) feel that it is their right to come back and take all of supply work when new teachers are struggling to pay bills (because VPs favor retired teachers and give them all of the good supply jobs - like 3 months in the library or a 2 week coverage when a teacher has surgery, etc, etc).

If young teachers aren't applying for jobs then your situation is entirely different. Here there are TONS of new teachers who can't get on the supply list because retired teachers fill it up.

The situation for your senior teachers is A LOT different too. If teachers are forced to retire that is completely different. A teacher can teach until they are 102 if they want in Ontario. If someone wants to keep teaching and contributing to the pension plan they can. However, I think that if a teacher retires and has a great pension plan they shouldn't take the only work available to new teachers. If they want to work in education and make a salary ontop of their huge pension they should do something like consultanting (where their level of experience is needed).

My point (which based on your information would not apply to your state) is that if there are a million and two new teachers who want to teach and retires get HUGE money to be retired they shouldn't also come back to supply. If they love being in the school they should volunteer, if they really need the 200+ extra dollars a day they should have stayed in teaching.

But this is becoming a non-issue in Ontario because with new laws retired teachers can only teach 20 days a year without loosing their pension. This makes me very happy. Retirees who want to work in education can find a job with textbook companies, the Ministry, etc.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2008

Keep in mind: lots of retirees and wannabe retirees have seen their retirement savings largely disappear in the past few months. Look for more to return to subbing in order to put food on the table.

Also, no one is owed a job.

If retirees come back and get hired before inexperienced teachers, it's because that experience apparently means something to the person doing the hiring. It's not about making it easier for new people to break into the field, it's about choosing to go with an known entity instead of an unknown.

29. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Some professions have mandatory retirement ages. I support those same individuals coming back as instructors or substitutes because they have a wealth of experience. It is madness to let that experience get away.

30. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

I think Ontario is simply unique in this situation. No one's pension in Ontairo has been affected at all by the current economic situation. The only people it is going to affect our current teachers (Because no matter what the pension board says the fact is they are having to draw on reserves set aside for people my age to pay current pensions given the current economic crisis and the MAY not be able to recover all of this money - time will tell).

When teachers who have retired draw over 50-60,000$ a year (as a minimum - some are drawing more) in pensions AND come back to teach (but don't put money into the pension system because they don't have to) they are hurting the entire pension program because they are DECREASING the amount going into the pension program while still taking the max from the program.

I know retired teachers get hired because they have experience. However, if we want first year teachers to do well we need to provide them with support. I think that teaching when you are drawing a HUGE pension is unjustifiable. When I look at the one teacher that was hired without previous high school experience and the one that had subbing experience (because we only hired 2 teachers this year - but we have 2 retired teachers who are in the school for MONTHS doing supply work) I can see that subbing is a good investment in young teachers. I understand that it makes my VPs job easier to hire retirees, but I think when looking at the FUTURE of the school that providing new teachers with an opportunity to work and practice as supply teachers is essential. I know that my VP put a LOT of energy into my in my first 2 months and it paid off because by the next year I needed almost no support. So I think the short term pain of hiring new teachers to supply is worth the long term gain. The other thing is that in Ontario our union is very strong, so once you hire a teacher you pretty much have them for life. Having them supply and volunteer in the school is a way to check out if you want them in the building for the next 30 years.

31. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

I also agree that their experience is useful - but it is not in supply work that we need this experience. Most of the new teachers who supply in the school are good. Yes the retirees are good too, but not so much better to warrant what they do to the pension plan.

I would rather see them volunteer in our tutoring room or work as a consultant or apply to teach an after school program for kids at risk - but that would require that they not make over 200$ a day.

That said, the Ontario government agrees with the problems their working causes for the pension plan and that is why starting next year they will only be able to supply 20 days a year once they have been retired for 3 years.

The other problem I have with our current 95 day plan is that almost NO teachers teach beyound when their pension is paid - so it isn't that they want to be in a school so much that they would rather teach for the money. Once it affects their pension they stop. And when do these 95 days run out? About the beginning of May. So suddenly in May there are NO supply teachers with experience because the retirees took every day they could get their hands on (to the tune of about 20,000$ - brining their total salary to around 80,000$) and now the new teachers who have had VIRTUALLY NO WORK for 8 months are called on to deal with the kids when are totally rangy. The retirees take a 4 month vacation and then come back and do it all over again. How does this schedule benefit kids? They get the least experienced supply teachers at the time where they need them the most?

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2008

Wait, aren't you making a case for experience here??

I have no vested interest here, since I'm not a sub and my school doesn't use them (we sub internally for the most part.)

It seems to me that the schools are choosing to hire the subs they want. And that they have their reasons for choosing the subs they do.

33. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

a. You can't make money that good for a day's work anywhere else
    b. You don't have to do lesson plans
    c. You don't have to take work home with you
    d. YOu don't have to grade papers.
    e. You don't have to worry about test scores
    f. YOu don't have to stay until 3:45 or go to meetings
    g. You don't have to go to staff development or worry about getting your license renewed
    h. You can still make a difference in a child's life
    i. Your experience makes you more effective

34. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 21, 2008

Alice of course experience plays a role. New teachers need that experience. However, when would you want to learn to sub - in September when the kids are getting back into the swing of things or in May when they are getting nuts?

I don't have a vested interest either. I got a job as soon as I was available to work full time. However, I disagree with what retirees do because it affects our new teachers and I think this in turn affects the whole system.

I think all new teachers should sub before they teach. It is great experience. Unfortunately they don't get enough experience because they can't get any supply days.

Obviously the Ontario government recognizes that it needs new teachers in the system and that those teachers need supply work AND that retirees in Ontario get enough money that they can afford to volunteer or travel or work in some other context because it has always put a cap on how many days a retired teacher can teach (to this point it has been 95). However, given the number of new teachers being released into the field I don't think the government can claim it is being ethical if it allows retired teachers to take all of the jobs AND claim a full pension. (If they want to re-enter the profession and give up their pension all the power to them). I think the government is recognizing its responsibility for the number of new teachers in the system because it is the one that is permitting new Faculties of Education to be built DESPITE a surplus of new teachers.

35. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2008

In our area, we don't generally have any retired teachers on the sub list. We would love it if we did, but we don't. We have a sub shortage most of the time. (And our requirements aren't terribly high to start with...)

There is an important reason why we don't have retirees as subs...we hire them as "Part-time Certified Teachers - Retired" at $24-26 per hour!!!! (Our subs make the equivalent of $10.91 per hour). We hire our retired teachers generally for 3-4 hours per day, 3 days per week. (They can schedule around vacations, and get a friend -- who is also a retired teacher -- to fill in for them if they are gone) They do testing remediation -- and it is wonderful to have people who already know how to teach and who have years and years of experience working with struggling students!

We are, of course, in a very different situation than most of you. Our district is not "highly desireable" (we are inner city.) If you are certified and looking for a job, a long-term sub job is the least you could expect.

Most of our subs either aren't qualified to be teachers (they don't have the degree or requirements for certification) or they don't want to work full-time. We do have MANY elderly subs, but they are not retired teachers. If you don't select a sub you already know (and they are hard to get, because they book quickly) you often end up with someone who hasn't got a clue, who can't manage the class, who can't read a lesson plan...it is sad. We only leave "work packets" when we are gone. It would be nice to have a someone who was actually in the field of education as a substitute.

36. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2008

I also work in an inner city. I currently work in one of the easier schools in the inner city and we get retired teachers to sub. At my old school it was not the same. Children would often drive those 'new teachers' out before noon in tears. If you have to choose giving new teachers a chance to be chased out or tested by the children or a retired teacher who you know can handle them it is a no brainer. I have not had a fun time having to come back and investigate the situations that happened and then come up with reasonable consequences. While coming into the room and knowing it will have been cleaned, lessons will have been done, behavior will have been managed, notes will be left, and recess supervision will have been done is not a headache and a pain.

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 22, 2008

I know people will attack what I am saying, but I'm tired of hearing the same old attack.....

This is not the first thread that has attacked older teachers. I've read many threads by newer teachers attacking the rights of older teachers to be in the classroom. Granted, there are some older teachers who do need to be out of the classroom, but there are also far too many new teachers who should have never earned a certificate in the first place. Blaming older people who want to work for a younger person not being hired is ridiculous. At some point, every new teacher (provided he/she doesn't wash out in the first five years) will be an older teacher so new teachers should treat older teachers the way they will want to be treated in twenty to thirty years.

At my school, there are two new teacher subs and they are horrible. On the hiring committee, it has already been said that they will never get a job in our district. We fight to get the retired teachers to come sub because they are wonderful.

38. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

I don't have a problem with older teachers. I have a problem with RETIRED teachers who are drawing a pension taking a full pension while also taking money out of the pensionable earnings for the province. Like I said before - teach until you are 102 if you want. But when you choose to draw a pension for close to 30 or 40 years you don't have the right to also take 20,000 in earnings out of the school system a year without putting any of that money into the pension fund. Basically, I have a problem with what retired teachers are doing to the pension fund in the name of the "right" to be teaching and "retired" at the same time. By working while also drawing a pension they are making it almost impossible for the pension fund to be able to affored THEIR pension. Hence why this is now a "non-issue" in Ontario. If you choose to retire your choices starting next year will be - teach without a pension - or retire without teaching.