Why do preschoolers hang their tongues out when working hard?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Oct 21, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 21, 2006

I've noticed this with so many kids!!! Is there a known reason for this? You know the look, mouth opened tongue working around their little lips.

I sat there and pondered this the other day in class and can't come up with an explanation of my own. LOL

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 21, 2006

this trait does not stop with preschoolers, my hubby is 53, and still does it when he is hard at work. ;)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2006

oral fixation?

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Oct 21, 2006

my dh too...:)

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 21, 2006

My hubby does it all the time too! When ever I see that I DARE not ask any thing to break that concentration.

When I am trying to open or twist something, I find that if I BITE my lip it HELPS give me more strength!

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 21, 2006

My dad did it too, when he was writing.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2006

This is what I found in a google search:

Why do people often stick their tongue out when they are concentrating on something?

When you are concentrating on something, you are using the hemisphere of the brain also used for processing motor input. It's also noticeable that some people walk more slowly when they are thinking of something difficult. This is caused by interference from the two activities fighting for the same bit of brain to process them. By biting your lip or sticking your tongue out, you are suspending motor activity and keeping your head rigid, to minimise movement and hence interference.

For the same reason that women open their mouths when applying mascara.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2006

My little brother does this, but he's tounge-tied, so his tounge barely sticks out past his lips. Poor baby, he looks so silly doing it ;)

10. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 21, 2006

Very interesting... thanks Kinderkids! :) Funny about the mascara, I never put that with it, but that's so true. My preschooler often watches me get ready for work and she always asks "Mama, why do you do this.... <opening her mouth tightly and eyes wide open>" hehehe.

Thanks for the answer to my mystery..... and my daughters!!!! ;)

11. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 21, 2006

One of my Kinder girls came in every day last week with a reddish ring around her mouth....thinking she was drinking a messy juice or something at lunch, I asked if she wanted to go wash it off. She said that it wouldn't come off--it was from licking her lips too much!! Ouch!

12. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 22, 2006

You think that is bad. I had a student who could stick out his tongue and touch the end of his nose. His poor face stayed chapped. My aide said " I have never seen a tongue that long." LOL

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 22, 2006

I am 22 and I still do that! I never even realized that I was doing it until I was in 9th grade. I took a drawing class and my teacher, who was very casual with us, asked me why I always stuck my tongue out a little bit when I was doing my projects. I was suddenly so conscious of it! I would always try to catch myself in class and not do it but I just couldn't help it! After he pointed it out I began noticing that I do it whenever I am trying to write neatly, because I despise writing illegibly, or draw, because I am an awful artist! I'm so glad that now I have a reason for it, thanks!!! :love:

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2006

Very interesting explanation! I just caught myself doing it a few minutes ago. I was drilling holes through Buckeyes for my class to use for pattern necklaces and I was concentrating very hard so I wouldn't drill my thumb instead.

15. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I still do this. I have been told I also hum when deep in a project. I wonder if those two are connected--?

16. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Oct 26, 2006

I do this, too, when I'm concentrating on something very hard!! I've done it as long as I can remember. The funny thing is, I catch my son doing it, too. I wonder, could it be hereditary?

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2006

I bite my lower lip!!! My son does it too.