why do parents wait so long to register?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Aug 31, 2009.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

Ok, other than a sudden move, why do some parents wait until the last minute to register their child???
    I started today with 25 on my list. I checked just after lunch and I had 26. I checked before I went home and I had 27!!!

Ok, so I'm not really asking....just kinda venting!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

That's bad news for us but good news for teachers still looking for work if a school needs to add a new classroom! Everything bad has a good side! BTW...the sme thing happens to us too. I have 24 now but the number can go up (or down!!!!) any day! I'd rather they register before the first day at least. Some wait until the year has started then you have to go over all the rules and stuff! UGH!!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 31, 2009

We have tons show up on the first or second actual day of class. The most frustrating thing is there will be at least 5 or 6 on my role sheet that will never show up. They have transfered, but they wait to notify us. So if you are stupid enough to actually label things ahead of time, you don't have enough name plates -- because you had to throw 5-6 of them away, and then you need 7 or 8 more for the late arrivals. I never both to label ahead of time. I make homemade name plates on my computer for the first two weeks of school.

5. terptoteacher

Aug 31, 2009

Yeah, I haven't labelled anything yet....learned the hard way a few years back, but I have two seater desks. I have them grouped in a certain way. Now I have to add one more desk in. I have to add one more table basket, one more this and that and it's just tedious....
    know what I mean vern?

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

We had 50 students register at our school the day before classes started, and more register on the first day of class. I got three new students yesterday, two weeks into the school year. We will have students who have been on our roster and not at school who will not come until after Labor Day. It's really ridiculous!

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

Yes I do. You know what I hate? Later in the year, when you've run your copies for the entire week (including one extra -- just in case) and THREE new students show up that week. So you have to shlep to the copy room to make extra copies of every single thing that you have already copied!!! Grumble, grumble...

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

4 years ago, in my second year at my school, we had 50 students register the first morning of school. I started the day with 24 students in my class, gained 3, lost 2, then gained another 4 before the end of the first week! (Unfortunately, our class budget was based on the number of students at the beginning of the first day!)

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

Parents are waiting in the US because of the uncertain job climate. Parents might be waiting to hear back from people they interviewed with in another city or town. They might have just moved, or moved in with relatives.

When I was on the Rez, no one was really registered before school started. The teachers who'd been there before knew where most of the kids were and if they'd be back, but the first few weeks is when most of our enrollment happened... and it continued all year as kids and their families migrated back and forth between different reserves (especially if Mom is from one and Dad is from another) and the cities.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

A lot of school districts don't exactly make it particularly convenient to register. They have limited hours on particular days, usually in the middle of the day, and don't always publicize them well. Sometimes kids need a doctor's appointment because the immunizations were done on the wrong day. And even planned moves can be tricky, because schools generally want proof of address and before you've moved to a location you don't have things like bills sent to that address.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

Other than kindergarten registration, which happens in the spring before a child enters kindergarten, our school district doesn't have official registration days. Once a child is in our system, s/he stays in until either graduation of eighth grade or the child moves. If a student moves into our school district, the parent can register the child at any time. Most of those happen over the summer. We get a few throughout the year.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

Our school office is not open during the summer (it opened this week, classes start next Tuesday). Any families who move during the summer and want to register then must go to our district office, which isn't terribly convenient. Many of our families are also new to Canada and may not be accustomed to our system. While it can make for a crazy few first days, we have learned not to put anything in ink until the end of the first week.

13. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

We start on the 8th. Tomorrow is meet the teacher night. We got a "tentative" list yesterday and will receive another "tentative" list the first day of school. For the first week or so we will get a new list almost daily and have special papers to fill out for the first 10 days of school because it's so bad. I think they told us that they've had 20 new enrollments in the last 3 days or so. Don't know where they will put them.....one science class already has 33 kids in the biggest class and 30 in the smallest!!

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2009

E-Schools have this as par for the course (no pun intended). My class roster will change several times a day with students coming in after not making it in a traditional school for one reason or another. Other students will go back to their original school, drop out, transfer elsewhere or just go truant. After the first 30 days of school, I'll probably lose a dozen students due to that last reason.

15. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Sep 1, 2009

We had three weeks before school started where parents could come register their children for school. And yet, on the first day of school, we had over 150 new families register. I started the day with 11 (ha ha) and ended up with 22 by the end of the day. I am still hesitant to put names on things because half of them may not be here next week.

16. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

i laminate name plates and then write on them with a sharpie. you can get the writing off with expo dry erase board cleaner. works like a charm.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

We will probably get some next week. We always get some kids after Labor Day. They move from a location where schools start then, and they come to our school to find out that we started a MONTH AGO.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Today we got over 50 new students transferring from other schools.

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

We started school last Tuesday. We still have kids coming in to register because the families weren't aware that school had already started. I guess the big yellow buses stopping at the corner to meet a crowd of small people wearing backpacks wasn't a hint? LOL.

Our school office IS open all summer, but only from 9-3. It's open from 8-4 during the school year. Parent HAVE to come in during the day. And you're allowed to register (but not to start classes) even without all of the dr. paperwork and such. We still have a ton of late registrants.

Mostly, I don't think they realize what a hassle it is for the school/office/teachers to have kids continually entering. I really don't think it crosses their minds.
    Kim

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

Our school is bad with this- especially the K kids. We always ponder why they wait until the night before the first day of school when they knew this day was coming for FIVE YEARS!

21. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

My school this year has a sign "No Registrations between August X and September 8th". I wonder if that means we'll get nice little influx next week! I understand the late registrations due to moves and unforeseen things...but honestly, parents know that their kids need to go to school. I don't know why some wait so long!

22. susan74

susan74 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

wait til you read this one!

Just before school let out at the year round I'm at, probably a month or even 3 weeks until the school year was over. We had 3 kinder students enrolled! And they knew absolutely nothing! Nothing at all and they're going to start 1st grade in one month! That drives me nuts. Every year it's like that. Just as school is going to let out and you decide to enroll your child. Especially when it's kindergarten.

23. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2009

We've been back for five days, and I haven't been able to learn my students' names because my roster keeps changing. Yesterday I printed new rosters after my last class, and had to do it again an hour later! But I can't complain, because my biggest class is 38. Two years ago, we had a whole slew of senior students show up at the last minute, and I had 54 kids in two of my periods! It took about four days to sort that one out - I had kids sitting on the floor, leaning against the walls - it was nuts, but actually kind of fun.

24. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 2, 2009

I believe the reason was covered in one of my classes for my BA, its been a few years but if memory serves me correctly... parents wait until the last minute because the world revolves around them.

25. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

Today, we had 12 foreign families show up in our office -- they are here with a military attachment -- enrolling over 20 new elementary students -- most of them preK and K. The dads spoke some English. The mothers neither speak nor understand English. The children speak no English. We have no other students or teachers in our school who speak this particular language. (It is not a typical one -- that's why I'm not naming it -- it would be too specific.) It took hours to walk them through filling out all the paper work because it was so hard to explain what each line said. I truly hope someone in our admin office had enough sense to call our ESL teacher (she only comes 1 day per week, and usually doesn't start with us until the 2nd or 3rd week of school -- we generally only have 6-10 ESL students in the whole school, and they are almost all Spanish or Chinese) and let her know we are going to need some assistance. This now more than quadruples our ESL population, so we are defintely not as prepared as we would like to be.

26. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2009

Honestly, I don't think that parents realize the implications that it has on the school office and teachers. We are changing classes and opening new classes at the last min. all of the time!
    Maybe it is because I am a teacher, but even if I was moving say the week before labor day, I would at least call or drop by the schoool to say "It won't be offical until xxx date, but I wanted to introduce myself and give you a heads up that we are moving soon. I will be in touch once we have moved and are ready to enroll." At least this would give the school a little notice that someone new might be coming in.....

27. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

We, too, have that same problem. I refuse to label anything until the 2nd or 3rd week of school. But sometimes even that doesn't help. Part of our problem is that we have "fundamental" schools and they have waiting lists. If one of the children in your class is on the list and gets a call that there is an opening, off they go. Last year, my teaching partner started out with a small class (15) but kids kept coming in. BUT these were the same kids that moved back out (due to job loss, foreclosure, family problems, etc) and her class just had a revolving door. She would lose a child, so get the next one that came in. More than half of her class turned over in the first few months, mainly due to those children who registered late.

28. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

I've become accustomed to this

I work in a low income community and the only reason I bring this up is because these children cannot afford to miss school. The weirdest thing is the kids do not come til after Labor Day. This happens every year. School started August 19th and I have a class of 11! The other classes have only half the kids also! The fifth grade is full and that's because both classes are full of behavior problems. That was my group last year and they were always at school because their parents don't want to deal with them at home!

29. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

I heard this same question being asked in the front office the other day. The woman explained that a lot of parents don't enroll their child until the week that school starts because in the country they are originally from that's the way that they do it.

30. terptoteacher

Sep 4, 2009

Two days into the year and I have 27 on my roster. 27 showed up....however, my co teacher had 26 on her roster and she had 5 no shows! I asked my P if he would switch some kids around after Labor day and he said no. So if her "no show" don't show up, she'll have 21 in her class and i'll be busting at the seams at 27.

Plus also, I have two special need kids that have 7 other teachers (speech, ot, sped, etc) coming in the room to assist. My room isn't that big!

31. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 5, 2009

There is no explanation...

In our district. It has nothing to do with foreign countries. The rest of the parents will register this week. This will be our 3rd full week of school!

32. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

That's EXACTLY what I say every year! I completely understand families who have just moved into the neighborhood, or even families from other countries who don't understand the system and no one has told them. But we have families with older siblings at our school who don't enroll the kindergartner until after school starts.

I always feel so bad for the child. They don't get to prepare for or look forward to school. And then they miss out on orientation and the first days.

Labor Day is "late" this year. I'm afraid of what is going to happen on Tuesday!