Why do I weigh 210 pounds?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarge, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

I'm 6'1" and 46 years old. 20 years ago, I weighed 175.

The answer would be obvious, except that a typical day for me involves between 60 and 120 minutes of cycling and/or an hour of swimming. About 20-30 miles on my bike and about a mile in the pool. Generally, if I know I'm going to the pool, I might only bike 20 miles that day. But if I'm not swimming that day, I will take the long route to and from work.

I bike about 18-20 mph and swim about a 2 minute per 100 yards pace.

I've been doing this for a few years now. Based on the number of calories I've burned, I should weigh about 90 pounds.

I don't eat very well, but I'm no fast food junkie either. I don't drink beer either.

Anyone else have this problem where they exercise A LOT for A LONG TIME and still don't lose weight?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

I've had that problem a lot of my life. I got pretty obsessive about working out-running 5-10 or more miles a day, then going to one or two classes at the gym also. I was working out 2-3 hours a day, but my weight didn't change. My weight finally did change when I bumped up the intensity. So you could try riding a little faster.

It really is about eating right. Maybe try to switch to healthier foods. (I'm a hypocrite here-I KNOW that's my problem!)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 24, 2008

Sarge - My guess is that you need to add a couple days of weight lifting, including squats, to build up more muscle, which will then burn more calories, etc. It is SO true the metabolism slows down as we get closer to 50. Lifting weights has helped my husband keep his weight down - unfortunately he is oppposite of you - does no cardio but is faithful in weight lifting 2x a week. He says even going 2x a week keeps him from getting sore (of course, you get sore getting started). The squats will totally keep your lower back strong strong strong as you are heading to those ages when people get back problems.

Try it and see what happens. The only other thing I can suggest is the green bean diet - my little chubby puggie lost 6 lbs, down from 25 lbs to 19 or so. Her plan was simple and recommended by the vet - 1/2 her bowl is green beans, 1/2 her bowl is dog food. In human terms, you would have 1/2 your plate green beans, other half would be chicken or fish or lean meat. I think I could do that for a week and drop a few myself! Maybe we should start a new thread and see who would like to try it for a week and what our results are!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 24, 2008

Oh I forgot to mention, we also start losing muscle mass every year after 40 just by existing! So that is why we start gaining weight without even doing anything wrong. Adding the weight lifting adds back the lost muscle mass, thereby boosting the metabolism to a younger age! Voila!

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

My guess goes along the same lines as bonneb. From what I can gather about weight loss (I've done a lot of research, not a lot of action), your body gets tired of the same old thing and so you don't get the same results you would if you were just starting out with this routine. Try changing it up a little bit.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 24, 2008

high-fructose corn syrup
    partially hydrogenated oils?
    Bush Administration? ;)

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 24, 2008

If you try what everyone else has mentioned and nothing happens I would suggest going to your doctor or a weight loss doctor.

I'm currently going to a weight loss doctor. I hit a wall. I couldn't lose weight to save myself. 8-9 years ago I lost 85 pounds on my own (exercising 2-3 hrs a day and diet). Sometimes you need extra help and guidance. I'm currently taking medicine along with a diet and my usual exercise program. I started on Monday and I've lost 3 pounds so far.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Oct 24, 2008

Could be a medical problem - I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid) which controls metabolism, etc., I would eat well and exercise like crazy and not lose much weight and when it did come off it was like 1 lb a month.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2008

I lost 50lbs and I've kept it off for a year. It took a long time. It was slow moving but here's what I recommend:

Sign up for a free online calorie/diet/whatever type journal. www.fitday.com has a free one. It may or may not be the best one but I used it for about 6 months. You put your foods in there and it helps you with the calorie calculations. There are other ones out there. The basic point is to become more aware of what you eat. Even if you have some bad foods, it'll be okay as long as you are aware and not fooling yourself with how many calories you are actually consuming.

My next piece of advice is to think about eating smaller. Eat some of your food then put it away. If in an hour you still want it, go ahead and eat it. The point is to learn to eat smaller and eat more often. Your body likes that. I eat all the time but it is spread out.

Apply the "Change One" theory. Focus on one change at a time. When you get better at it (not wonderful but better) then you can add another change. Too many people start out with all these restrictions and it becomes too much to handle. It can be as simple as logging your food (not changing it) or drinking more water. Because I did it slowly and it took a while to lose the weight, I'm finding that now that I'm in maintenance some of my "changes" actually stuck. Some didn't.

Also, you WILL hit a plateau at some point. Keep working through it, change stuff up and eventually it passes. I hit three of them. One of them lasted 4 months. Then suddenly I really started dropping.

Since you like online forums and you don't mind hanging around a bunch of women, go to www.3fatchicks.com. It is awesome.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

I don't really have any answers for you. But of course we all know that as we age, our body just goes through those changes. Fat just starts coming on usually close to the mid-30s & after. I definitely see a big difference from when I was 23 to now 33. You said that you don't eat the best, but maybe you're still eating too much because you think that since you're doing all this exercise, it will just burn it off. Really observe what you're eating for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Are you eating the same amt you were 10-20 yrs ago? If so, you can't do that anymore, even if you're just as active as you were 10-20 yrs ago. Even if you're not eating like you were, still cut down.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2008

There are online calorie calculators that consider age, gender, etc. Try to find out how many you need. It really does help to write it all out for a while. I didn't do it the entire time I dieted. I did it for a good while though until I could accurately figure out what I needed. Again, small mini meals throughout the day. I eat as many as 6 mini meals per day. It's not as bad as it sounds.

13. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 24, 2008

Question - at that weight are you flabby or kind of buff? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're muscular you'd actually weigh more than if you weren't. With the amount of exercise you do, I'd assume it's probably just your muscle bulk.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

My legs are pretty much muscle. I'm not really flabby, just not thin. Not much of a beer gut.

When I first started swimming four years ago, I weighed 230. I was pretty out of shape. I dropped to 210 within a year.