Why didn't you all warn me....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GTB4GT, Jul 27, 2014.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 27, 2014

about the dangers of getting my classroom supplies on the Sunday before school starts??!!!:dizzy: So I went to Wally World, Staples, Office Max, etc. It was what I imagine Black Friday to be (I'm not a shopper). Or perhaps even worse. oh the horror of it all.:p

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

:confused:

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

I've gone to Staples a couple days before school started. Nope, nope, nope. Never again. Ever. Ever, ever, ever.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2014

Well, glad I'm NOT going back to school next week, so I'll drink a soda and be grateful for small favors! What did you need so desperately that you had to brave the crowds, anyway? Elementary - maybe, but high school, well, I mostly just show up with a smile and keep them busy figuring out what is in the observation box, while I try to learn names. I think I will give thanks for my district tonight.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

The school year starts tomorrow for you? Like the kids will be in the classroom tomorrow?

It's not even August yet ...

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2014

Suddenly glad I shop online as well as teach online...

8. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 27, 2014

yikes!!! That is an early school year. Ack...

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2014

GTB4GT, what state are you in, if you don't mind me asking? I want to make sure I stay far away from there! Are you a year round district, with varied down times? Just curious.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

I purchase very little on my own dime. Definitely not standing butts to butts on line for cheap pencils and glue sticks.:2cents:

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I hope you found everything you wanted/needed.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I go back tomorrow, too.

13. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 27, 2014

Tennessee. We (the district in which I teach) don't start until the week after next but the county in which I live apparently starts late this upcoming week. I didn't figure this out until I went to the stores.

The schools here now have breaks (either 1 or 2 weeks) in both the spring and fall as well as a generous break for Christmas. Apparently that's the norm for a lot of places these days. Back in the dark ages when I was in school it seems like we got off around Memorial Day and didn't go back until after Labor Day. To tell you the truth, I prefer it this way. I have been off since late May and I don't mind going back to work. It has been a long enough vacation for me. and I enjoy the breaks during the school year as well.

We get $200 to spend on various "office supplies" for the year...paper, pens, pencils, markers, folders, markers, batteries for calculators, staples, etc....all the usual odds and ends that are required to run things day to day.(There's very little that we can get from the office outside of copy machine paper and printer ink). I like to get them on sale so I can get more bang for my buck. I go through dry erase markers like crazy.

$200 sounds like a lot of money and some people may think you would have a hard time spending that but I actually went a bit over budget which of course comes out of my pocket.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2014

"Butts to Butts for Cheap Pencis?" Yay for the C :lol::lol::lol::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

15. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jul 28, 2014

I am also from TN, and starting my first position this fall, but thank goodness we don't officially start back until the 12th! (However, our parent night is the 4th).

I'm super excited to begin, but I need to time to finish getting my room ready!!!!! I have a friend that teaches private school, and they are starting back today.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

Pencils.:lol:

17. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

$200 is a lot compared tothe $57 we get. I'd have fun spending $200!! I also heard staples isn't doing teacher appreciation this year :(

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2014

Don't feel bad. We get nothing. I have never received any funds from any of the schools I've taught at.

If you ask about reimbursement, they look at you like you're speaking Mandarin or something.

19. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

I am extremely grateful for the money. As I said, I actually went over budget a little bit. That includes a gallon of paint I bought to paint my classroom. I had asked for 3 years to have this done so finally took it upon myself. I am a firm believer in a clean working environment and having the required tools to do the job. It's the engineer side of me I suppose.

As I said, you wouldn't believe how quickly that money goes. If I showed you the stuff it's just mundane classroom things (nothing extraneous or extravagant) and I would of needed it if I only had $57 to spend. So I guess I would have been out the money.

20. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I teach 8th, so it's a little different for me- I only use textbooks, and I give the students a "survival list" on the first day of all the supplies they will need for the year. I do absolutely no decorating, and textbooks are supplied by the school, though they are a little outdated. What I do need, I buy online, usually on amazon.com. I don't deal with the Staples crowd. And God Bless whoever it is that starts school already! I still have another three weeks!

21. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2014

Still...classic! My new phone is auto correcting me in the worst of ways!! I swear :whistle:I NEVER typed any of those words in this or my other phone!! Where does it get this stuff??? :eek:

22. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

School starts the 18th here. We have a three week Harvest Break come September 19th.

23. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

I am in TN too and teachers started back today, but students do not start until Friday. We got out just after Memorial Day. It's nice to have the kids for one day, then have the weekend, but I do wonder how many will not come Friday and instead show up on Monday as day 1.

24. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 28, 2014

Kids come Friday for us but the county next door started today. Needless to say their stores were a madhouse over the weekend.

25. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

About the stores, I'm surprised that more people don't just shop online, like on amazon. Befuddles me.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2014

Many people are not comfortable giving their financial information to an online website.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2014

Do you get befuddled easily?
    You can't assume everyone likes/wants to shop online. I do shop online for about half of my classroom items but I do like to go into stores too so I can look at things in detail. Unfortunately the teacher stores in my area closed so it's a bit harder now. I don't buy anything with my own money anyway. If the school didn't give me money I guess I wouldn't be shopping at all unless it was for my own personal use. Teachers shouldn't be buying pencils for students. Their parents should (and yes, I've heard the spiel about parents who claim they can't afford it) :rolleyes:

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2014

Oh, it´s a nightmare right before school starts!

29. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 4, 2014

:lol::lol::lol::lol: (Yeah I'm like 5)

Anyways, I did that once because I HAD to get some supplies- my husband FREAKED out though and I was like well duh what did you think it would be like.

(Notice that I did that ONCE... never again... :dizzy:)

30. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 4, 2014

I do shop online for a bunch of stuff, but I don't buy school supplies online- I want to see/touch/test out before I buy it for my classroom.

31. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 4, 2014

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 4, 2014

You know what they say about opposites attracting? I am fearless when it comes to shopping online, while hubby is anything but. However, I have noticed that although he isn't comfortable ordering and buying online, he actually has no qualms about having me to do exactly that for him! I find it funny, laugh about it with my sister when we swap hubby stories, and I just leave him in his comfort zone and continue on in mine. I think we do, truly, complete each other. Oh, and by the way - 38 years married, and there are some things we will never do like the other, but together, we get things done.

33. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

Lynn, it's great that at least he feels comfortable letting you buy online. I've known a few people who don't use it, and feel that it is the equivalent of sinful to buy online. Not only do I buy school supplies, but I buy most all of my household stuff on amazon. It's often cheaper than in stores, and it is delivered right to your house. My wife and I must break the mailman's back with all the stuff we order :p