Why did you get your degree in Special Education?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by VANewbie, May 28, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2010

I am still debating on what I want to get my masters in. I am pretty sure it will be special education.
    Why did you go into special education instead of general education?
    Just curious.

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 28, 2010

I never wanted to be a teacher because I never really liked kids. (Kind of still don't.) Then I had a son, and he turned out to have moderate special needs, and I went to visit his Kgarten class and loved it. I was 36 at the time and an unhappy secretary with an art degree. So I decided to go back to school and teach kids with special needs. Problem is, general ed kids are always around.

I remember being in college and that was the typical question for intros. "Why did you decide to become a teacher?" And all the 22 year olds would say, "I love kids! I've volunteered for _____ and ______ and _____ and loved it." And they'd get to me and I'd say, "Uh.... Because of my son?" *sigh*

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2010

Yea people always say "because I love kids" Not a good answer.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 28, 2010

Not only do they love kids but in their short lifetimes, they've managed to volunteer for several reputable organizations for kids with disabilities. Meanwhile, I'm the schlep sitting at home, watching TV. heh (I don't totally hate kids by the way, I just don't "love" 'em.)

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 28, 2010

that is so true and us who have a kid with special needs would hover on the side of the room together.

7. bros

bros Phenom

May 28, 2010

When I was asked that in my intro class, I basically said because I am excellent with kids, I love to learn, and that due to my own disabilities, I have a unique perspective that I can offer to special education

8. Nate

Nate Companion

May 28, 2010

Because I don't mix well with the normals.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

I started out in gen ed. I have raised two special needs children and had special needs children in my classes every year. I really saw how those children (including my own) tend to fall through the cracks because they don't have people advocating for them in the gen ed classes. I moved over to special ed because I felt I could help the children better. I also like the freedom in special ed to choose my curriculum and how I want to teach it.

10. laf10

laf10 Rookie

May 29, 2010

I started working on my master's in special education in January. I am certified in secondary English, and when I was getting my degree, I had to do a project on a child with a disability for one of my classes. The child I did the project on was in a self-contained classroom, and I ended up loving the time I spent in there. I liked the English classroom, but the special education classroom was always the one I'd rather be in. Then when I was doing my teaching internship, I asked to be placed in a self-contained room for part of the day to make sure that was where I wanted to teach. I loved it, so here I am. I'll be teaching a low functioning self-contained class next year. :)

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 29, 2010

*wince* You mean "Typicals," right? :whistle:

I thought of something else. When I observed my son's class that day that changed my life, those kids were super sweet. They weren't mean or loud or acting like typical kids. They were very loving and curious. And there was a gal in a wheelchair who had fallen asleep and they left her in the corner. And I wondered how to get her involved (she died a year later :( ) - kind of like what Swan was saying. And that's a big part of why I changed careers and went into teaching special ed as well.

12. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

May 29, 2010

I like challenge and problem solving. I have immense respect for people with disabilities. They are the bravest and most honest people I know. I love that my kids tell me exactly (either with words or through their behavior) what they are thinking. No beating around the bush. Whether they love me or hate me - at least I know, in no uncertain terms!!

I love their unique perspectives on life. They are so REAL.

And I think I might be a little on the autism spectrum myself.

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 29, 2010

Ha, this reminds me of something that happened at Special Olympics a few weeks ago. There was a gal that was talking to us about our son (she goes to school with him and is probably about 15 or so and has special needs herself). And this guy walked up to her and smiled and said hello and she said hello back and without waiting for him to step away, said "Who was that guy?" :lol:

So yeah, they say exactly what's on their minds - but sometimes it's so innocent, like in this gal's case. And I love that about 'em.

(Okay, I'm going to shut up now and give other folks a chance to share. Bad Zoom, BAD.)

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 31, 2010

In college I had plans to help children with learning needs---now I teach in a K-2 ED classroom and love it!

My kids all (for the most part) are at or above grade level. But their behaviors make it so they need help learning how to function in a general education classroom.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think I could do general ed. I'm so used to "my" kids at this point, if given a class of typical children (25 of them to boot!) I'd be lost. lol.

Give me my small classroom of kiddos. Even if I do have three grade levels, hehe. :D

I never have a boring day. Or heck, moment. My kids can drain you, but they are so rewarding! It is so much fun to think on my feet and try new things until we hit what "works" for a specific kiddo. :haha:

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 1, 2010

I'll be back to read these later. I have been out of town all weekend.

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 1, 2010

I love this.

17. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Jun 3, 2010

When I was younger, I wanted to teach English lit. After working in community-based settings for children and adults with disabilities, I became frustrated because I knew the schools could do better. Over the space of a few years I made a list of questions and areas where I thought the schools could do better, and went to college until I had the answers. The ultimate goal was to be a SpEd teacher, and I'll get there--though I don't think I want to be one any more, certainly not here. But even if I just take what I've learned and apply it in community-based services, I can do some of what I originally wanted to do.

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 3, 2010

I was planning on becoming a CPA :) I went to vocational school for computerized accounting. I had a required community service commitment for my organization, which happened to be Special Olympics. I was partnered with an athlete to be his 'cheering section' and make sure he made it to his event on time. That's all it took. First day, I knew that my purpose in life was to become a sp ed teacher. Much to my accounting teacher's dismay, I decided then and there that I would go to college for teaching instead of accounting.

I'm so glad I did...taxes don't do much for me, anyway ;)

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 5, 2010

Because my family has been touched by Down's and Austim

20. Evian

Evian Rookie

Jun 24, 2010

I got into special education because I am special :D

21. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jun 24, 2010

By Accident!!!
    On a previous job I was recruited to get involved in a reading/ mentoring program at a local low SES school designed for children in need of some positive adult interaction and to help them brush up on their reading skills all balled into one. I didn't want to leave! I found what I was supposed to be doing at 35 with a Business Degree.

22. fishkafoon

fishkafoon Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

A dear friend of the family was a special education teacher, so she managed to get me curious and excited. My mom breathed a sigh of relief at that point. LoL!

Eventually, I did go back to school and received my M.S.E. in Special Ed. P-12. At that point, it was a matter of periodically taking classes (in order to keep abreast of issues and trends) or obtain the M.S.E. It appears that I'm definitely not done with school.